Salary Cap: Re-signing Johansen, Fisher, Arvidsson & others

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I'm too lazy and don't have much time to write an article on here, so if anyone wants to read my blog on why the trade will benefit and harm both sides, please PM me thanks. It's fine if you still have disagreements, but I'm using logic and facts to back up my opinion.

The logical reasoning to trade Ekholm (or any D for that matter), is to get us a #2C, not an older and more expensive (albeit better) D on a worse contract. Less cap space means worse chances to land a #2C in other ways. I mean, if we don't use Ekholm as a piece to acquire that centerman, we might have to take a bad contract or retain to make a deal work.

I just don't see the logic behind trading Ekholm for Giordano.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The logical reasoning to trade Ekholm (or any D for that matter), is to get us a #2C, not an older and more expensive (albeit better) D on a worse contract. Less cap space means worse chances to land a #2C in other ways. I mean, if we don't use Ekholm as a piece to acquire that centerman, we might have to take a bad contract or retain to make a deal work.

Giordano is a win now piece, that doesn't damage, but in fact improves our defense and offense(As neither Smith nor Ekholm have done much this year whatsoever). Also being a fitness freak and having took harder matchups the last couple of years than even Weber and Josi (Who took the third most difficult behind the number 1 in Keith-Hjalmarsson and number 2 in Giordano-Brodie), he has the ability to make our defense even deadlier. Also Giordano has shown he can fit with just about anyone. Engelland and Wideman look like top 4 2-way Dman playing Giordano... Also seeing how Weber and Josi took the third hardest matchups in the league the last few years, Ekholm and Ellis were both severely sheltered, and it shown this year that both Ekholm and Ellis were exposed when they had to take even half the dangerous matchups that Josi-Weber took (Ellis has been awesome in the Ozone and Dzone, but he's constantly hammered defensively and gives up a lot of chances, the only reason why his possession was great the last few years was because he kept on taking Ozone starts, sheltered ones as well. I mean Barrett Wallace Jackman had the best possession out of our defense last season, and we all know how bad he was lol.) But I agree, Giordano is a win now piece that will be worse than simply keeping Ekholm if we don't win a cup in 3-4 years. Still, people say Giordano will be a liability for us in the remainder of the contract, and as I have told people many times, Giordano's style of play ages well, and bare major injury or death, Giordano will never be a liability, it's just in 2019 and beyond, Giordano won't be top 2 material anymore. It's very likely Ekholm will be a better player than Giordano from 2020 (Actually almost guaranteed), but Giordano is still excellent.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

BTW trading both Ekholm and Smith for Giordano saves up cap space just saying. Seeing how people on here want to give Smith away, this deal is beneficial for both sides. Long run for Calgary, short run for Nashville, and in a long run it's still a stable trade, not a liability trade. I want the 1st rounder because I feel Calgary might pick early and one player I really have sights on is Yamamoto, but if Calgary is picking above 15 (Aka 14 and above), it's a waste to pick Yamamoto. Last but not least to all those who think I'm obsessed with trading Ekholm away, Out of all Dman who can grab a great value, the one I'm most willing to move is Ellis, then Josi, then Subban. Ekholm would be last on my list out of the three. But for Giordano and dumping Smith, I'm all for it.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I think we're derailing here. This discussion should go to trade discussions, so I'll answer you there.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I don't see ryjo getting less than 8mil per season if eats up UFA years.

Forsberg is at 6 and ROR it's at 7.5 and Buffalo signed his brother as well.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If Poile can get Johansen under 7 he's working some sort of voodoo magic.
Over the last 3 years he's averaged 63 points a year and he's on pace for 59 this year. I don't know what other centers of that caliber generally make but I feel like those aren't upwards of 8 million a year worthy.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Over the last 3 years he's averaged 63 points a year and he's on pace for 59 this year. I don't know what other centers of that caliber generally make but I feel like those aren't upwards of 8 million a year worthy.

ROR contract was 2 years ago. 7.5aav
Stastny was 3 years ago. 7aav
Duchenes was 3 years ago. 6aav

Even if you think pegula overpaid two years ago, I think He's getting more than 7. I'd wager the AAV would be at least 10.5% of next years cap.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Does anyone think that Poile might role the dice on arbitration with Johansen and buy one more year of evaluation before committing to a 6,7 or 8 year deal at $6.5 or so?

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I think we see 7-7.5 under 7 would be fantastic over 7.5 would hurt a bit but we can afford it thanks to josi/ellis/ekholm

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Does anyone think that Poile might role the dice on arbitration with Johansen and buy one more year of evaluation before committing to a 6,7 or 8 year deal at $6.5 or so?

Doubtful. He's already signed his bridge "prove it" deal. Plus you never WANT to go to arbitration. It's more of a last resort.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013

6.5? Based off contracts signed 3-5 years ago?

Where are you getting this number?

Duchene resigned in 2013 at 6aav and the cap was 64 million and younger than ryjo when he signed it.

Stastny signed in 2014 for 7aav when the cap was 69mil and he was 28 at the time.

That's why I use ROR contract. He's a year older than ryjo.

At the very least he's getting 7.3 AAV using this seasons cap.

That's on the cheap side because he already had his prove it contract then using ROR's contract that he signed two years ago if you add inflation again I'd say he's getting over 7.5 closer to 8aav.

And he held out before so we know he will to get what he thinks he deserves.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Scheifele got one of the best contracts in the league this past summer, so I think they'll use Scheifele as a comparable. I think it's 7x7 or 7.5x8

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Scheifele got one of the best contracts in the league this past summer, so I think they'll use Scheifele as a comparable. I think it's 7x7 or 7.5x8

I think the preds will use that contract as a barometer but I can see ryjo holding out.

Just my own personal opinion.

7-8 year deal puts him at 31-32 I think. So I can't see him getting anything less than 7.5 considering the cap will be around 85 mil by 2020 and 89.5 in 2021

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sp...http://www.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile

And these are conservative estimates. They forecasted 69 mil this year alone.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think the preds will use that contract as a barometer but I can see ryjo holding out.

Just my own personal opinion.

7-8 year deal puts him at 31-32 I think. So I can't see him getting anything less than 7.5 considering the cap will be around 85 mil by 2020 and 89.5 in 2021

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sp...http://www.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile

And these are conservative estimates. They forecasted 69 mil this year alone.

Contracts signed today are not based on what the cap would be in 3-4 years. If they were, Crosby's wouldn't be 8.7M. And you do not know what the cap will be in 3-4 years, the league's revenue and economy could suddenly take a nose dive in a few years and the cap could be down to 65M. This is all a risk the teams take.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

I had never heard of this guy Scheifele so I looked him up, he out performing Ryan by about .29 points per game and his contract is 8 x 6,125,000 and he is 1 year younger than Ryan. I don't know how I have never heard of a guy that is over a point per game but I guess that is because he is in Winnipeg. So I would say that he has a great contract for a forward.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Back from the dead at a nice time it seems.

8 per season like I said.

Before the trolls chime in I've been away for work and posters who know me can chime in for validation if they choose.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Back from the dead at a nice time it seems.

8 per season like I said.

Before the trolls chime in I've been away for work and posters who know me can chime in for validation if they choose.

That's the story? Away for work? No internet access at all to comment just once on the greatest post season in history? ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad