Salary Cap: Re-signing Johansen, Fisher, Arvidsson & others

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
It's still early, but I wanted to look at our cap situation for next year. How much (if any) do our free agents get?

UFA:
Fisher
Ribeiro
Grant
Zolnierczyk
Hunt
Weber
Liambas
Pardy

RFA:
Johansen
Arvidsson
Watson
Aberg
Mazanec
Gunnarsson
O'Brien
Rissling
Gaudreau
Payerl

For reference, with our current roster minus unsigned players, capfriendly projects us at $54,875,834 for 2017/18. Cap ceiling this year was $73M and probably doesn't rise much, if at all.

Johansen - Does he hit $7M?

Arvidsson - What a difference 4 months makes. Bridge deal or lock him up long term? This deal could sting. $4M for a long contract?

Fisher - He made comments recently indicating he's not ready to hang them up. Currently making $4.4 and scoring at a similar rate as his last contract year. I could see him asking for the same contract, maybe slightly less like $4M even.

Ribeiro - let walk

Watson - Having a good year. Due for modest raise. $1M?

Aberg - 3 years in Milwaukee and keeps getting passed over. Gotta wonder if he considers going back to Europe.

Using my guesses, this puts us at ~$73M for 2017/18, but still have a couple roster spots to fill out. We'll lose someone to expansion, probably Jarnkrok, bringing us down to ~$70M. Hopefully they take Smith/Wilson bringing us to $68M.

We're in pretty good shape as long as ownership is willing to spend that close to the cap. Lots can still happen, this is just an early look.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Regarding Fisher, I could see him taking a pay cut in order to help the team. He's on his last legs, just wants to win a Cup, and not that career millionares need to worry about money but Carrie has them covered and then some. I'm not saying it'll happen but it wouldn't shock me if he took 2 or 3 mil, or at least something under his value.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Regarding Fisher, I could see him taking a pay cut in order to help the team. He's on his last legs, just wants to win a Cup, and not that career millionares need to worry about money but Carrie has them covered and then some. I'm not saying it'll happen but it wouldn't shock me if he took 2 or 3 mil, or at least something under his value.

Hopefully, but we were all hoping for a discount last time and he ended up getting a raise.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I have no clue what term/money Joey will sign for. Ribs is for sure gone; hopefully traded in a package for someone better.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I could see Joey getting something similar to what players comparable to him like Monahan, MacKinnon, Scheifele, RNH, Duchene, Seguin and Barkov are getting so around 5,7 to 6,5, with 7 being just about as high as I'd go for him.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
It's one of those things where if he gives a huge hometown discount then the union and other players of a similar skill set get PO'ed big time.

I don't think it'll be huge but I'd be pretty satisfied if we could somehow get him down to 2.5x2 or 3x2

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
How can we fit Duchene in there??

- Ekholm 3.75 off the books if he was traded
- Trade Smith (4.25) or Wilson (4) if Vegas screws us over and don't pick the one we left unprotected

edit:

Forsberg (6) - Joey (RFA) - Arvy (RFA)
Wilson (4) - Duchene (6) - Neal (5)
Watson (RFA) - Fisher (UFA) - Smith (4.25)
McLeod (0.8) - Sissons (0.625) - Jarnkrok (2)

Salomaki (0.613)
Fiala (0.863)

Josi (4) - Subban (9)
Irwin (0.65) - Ellis (2.5)
Granberg (0.613) - Bitetto (0.613)

Rinne (7)
Saros (0.7)

Buyouts:
Stalberg (1.17)
Nystrom (1)
Jackman (0.67)

This makes a total of:
$58M

Subtract Smith's 4.25 (let's assume he's picked by Vegas) and we have $53.75M, leaving
$19.25M for
Joey
Arvy
Fisher
Watson

Let's say we gave them what was suggested in OP:
Joey $7M (I personally expect a Forsberg kind of deal, 6x6, especially if we trade for Duchene and he's no longer a definite #1)
Arvy $4M (That 4x4 sounds reasonable and could be done cap wise)
Fisher $4M (I expect him to sign for #3C money, 2.5-3)
Watson $1M (I think this is reasonable, 1x1)

Puts us to a total of $69.8M
or did I miss something?

e2. fixed Smith's caphit

Last edited:

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
- Ekholm 3.75 off the books if he was traded
- Trade Smith (4.25) or Wilson (4) if Vegas screws us over and don't pick the one we left unprotected

edit:

Forsberg (6) - Joey (RFA) - Arvy (RFA)
Wilson (4) - Duchene (6) - Neal (5)
Watson (RFA) - Fisher (UFA) - Smith (5.25)
McLeod (0.8) - Sissons (0.625) - Jarnkrok (2)

Salomaki (0.613)
Fiala (0.863)

Josi (4) - Subban (9)
Irwin (0.65) - Ellis (2.5)
Granberg (0.613) - Bitetto (0.613)

Rinne (7)
Saros (0.7)

Buyouts:
Stalberg (1.17)
Nystrom (1)
Jackman (0.67)

This makes a total of:
$59M

Subtract Smith's 5.25 (let's assume he's picked by Vegas) and we have $53.75M, leaving
$19.25M for
Joey
Arvy
Fisher
Watson

Let's say we gave them what was suggested in OP:
Joey $7M (I personally expect a Forsberg kind of deal, 6x6, especially if we trade for Duchene and he's no longer a definite #1)
Arvy $4M (That 4x4 sounds reasonable and could be done cap wise)
Fisher $4M (I expect him to sign for #3C money, 2.5-3)
Watson $1M (I think this is reasonable, 1x1)

Puts us to a total of $69.8M
or did I miss something?

If we could only find a way to get rid of Wilson too

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
It's still early, but I wanted to look at our cap situation for next year. How much (if any) do our free agents get?

UFA:
Fisher 3-4 million
Ribeiro gone
Grant league min
Zolnierczyk league min
Hunt league min
Weber gone
Liambas mil-no effet
Pardy gone

RFA:
Johansen depends on term. 5+ years 6-7. 4 or less-7-7.5
Arvidsson small raise 2 mil per unless we buy a few ufa years. I doubt it though
Watson rfa min raise
Aberg rfa min raise
Mazanec rfa min raise
Gunnarsson
O'Brien
Rissling
Gaudreau
Payerl

yhe rest get min deals

For reference, with our current roster minus unsigned players, capfriendly projects us at $54,875,834 for 2017/18. Cap ceiling this year was $73M and probably doesn't rise much, if at all.

best case is that Vegas takes Smith to have a marketable face that can talk.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

UFA:
Fisher
Ribeiro
Grant
Zolnierczyk
Hunt
Weber
Liambas
Pardy

RFA:
Johansen
Arvidsson
Watson
Aberg
Mazanec
Gunnarsson
O'Brien
Rissling
Gaudreau
Payerl

Ribeiro - let walk

Watson - Having a good year. Due for modest raise. $1M?

Aberg - 3 years in Milwaukee and keeps getting passed over. Gotta wonder if he considers going back to Europe.

Aberg - I agree with these. In a 5-2 loss, Aberg had both goals and darn near scored a third. He has been throwing a few checks, how can you not like a player like that! He has .77 PPG.

Kamenev - I think that Kamenev can take Ribeiro's spot, if he can improve on the face offs. He has been playing more physical down here. He crushed a couple of Heat players last night with some open ice hits. Usually, somebody hits him from behind and that sets him off into a quasi Shea Weber mode. He makes the other team sorry for starting it out there!

Harry Z- He showed good potential in Milwaukee. I would like to see him play some more. He has 6 G and 10 A in 24 games.

Liambas - He has changed his game. His skating has improved enough that he plays on the PK. He is strong on the puck for a guy of his size. He loves smashing the daylights out of people, sort of like Salomaki. He is a middle weight fighter who will fight a heavyweight. He doesn't fight half as much as he used to do so, and it is paying off. Last night the Ads scored a PPG because Liambas didn't fight Jaime Devane. That was the first goal and the game winner at 14:15 of the second period in a 3-0 shutout. In a way, Liambis won that game by not fighting! He has 3 goals in 39 games. He doesn't have a good scoring touch around the net or he would have 6 or 7 goals by now.

Pardy - Gives good leadership on the D. He is steady and calms the team down in the back.

Mazenec - Two recent shutouts in Milwaukee, giving him 11. That puts him ahead of the 10 that Hellberg, Mason and some guy named Rinne all posted.

Payerl - Has 7 goals and 14 assists in Milwaukee so far. He is worth keeping.

Gunnarsson - He is good in net. He needs more goal support and playing time.

O'Brien - Scored his first goal last night. A wicked shot from above the left circle and through traffic. He was the second star of the game last night after Mazenec in a 3-0 win. If he can do that some more, he is a keeper.

Gaudreau - Contributes and skates hard every night. He only had one shot last night. He has 5 goals and 13 assists with a whopping 6 PIMs.

Rissling - I would trade him for a bag of pucks. He has never shown that he can play at the AHL level. I am glad that he is in Cincinnati. I don't want him on the Ads!

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Well seeing how everyone is predicting lineups for the future, how about I take a go at it?

To eliminate cap issues (Ekholm and Smith make a total of 8 million, and get us a win now piece. I propose: Mark Giordano and Hunter Shinkaruk for Mattias Ekholm, Craig Smith, and 1st this year.

We only do this trade if:

We are confidently in a playoff position by the deadline, and we want to become buyers. Calgary is in a bad position, and they want to become sellers. Oh and most importantly Ekholm and Smith play very small to no significance in our push (Which other than the Columbus game is true for the season).

Pros for the trade:
-Mark Giordano is an elite Dman, who although has lost some of his offense, still provides excellent defense, while has the ability to practically fit in with just about everyone. Playing with Hamilton made Hamilton into a seemingly elite #1D (In truth he is only a great #2, or an elite #3, but he has been playing like an elite #1D because of the Gio factor). Engelland, Wideman? No problem, Giordano masks all of their major issues.
-Mark Giordano is a fitness freak, which means bare major injury or death (God forbid), Giordano will have at least 1-2 elite years as a #1-2D after this year, and 2 elite years as a #3-4D. His final few years he'll still be a good #4D, who can provide excellent chemistry and leadership.

Cons for the trade:
-Mark Giordano's contract expires in 6 years when he is 38...
-Ekholm and Smith are younger and fit the core more in terms of age. This is also Smith's first poor year, so he may very well rebound.
-Ekholm has a great contract.

So who is willing to do the trade, who is against it? Who is willing to provide valid criticism or praise, and who is willing to be a complete jerk or one of those extremely creepy nice people who will always compliment you for anything? You guys answer.

This allows us to run:

Forsberg (6)-Johansen (6.667)-Arvidsson (4)
Wilson/Fiala (0.833)-Fisher (3)-Neal (5.5)
Fiala/Wilson (3.9375)-Jarnkrok (2)-Watson (0.9)
Salomaki (0.6125)-Sissons (0.625)-McCleod (0.8)

Giordano (6.75)-Subban (9)
Josi (4)-Ellis (2.5)
Irwin (0.65)-Bitteto (0.6125)

Rinne (7)
Saros (0.6925)

If Wilson or Jarnkrok gets claimed, put Shinkaruk on the 3rd line LW, and if Jarnkrok gets claimed, move Wilson to center.

The total cap hit including our buyouts should be around 62.3 million, which gives us enough space for a lot of extra pieces.

New contracts:
Johansen: 6 years for 40 million in total.
Fisher: 1 year at 3 million.
Watson: 2 years at 1.8 million in total.

We don't resign Ribeiro, but if you guys want to, we could try, maybe he'll accept 2.75 for a year or two. If that's the case, we move Jarnkrok to RW.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Why do you keep proposing we get rid of Ekholm? I'd much rather keep Ekholm and our 1st than have Giordano and his big contract. Gio's six years older than Ekholm and doesn't fit within our core age group, he'd be the oldest "core" skater by far.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Why do you keep proposing we get rid of Ekholm? I'd much rather keep Ekholm and our 1st than have Giordano and his big contract. Gio's six years older than Ekholm and doesn't fit within our core age group, he'd be the oldest "core" skater by far.

:laugh: because he's a Calgary fan first and foremost.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'm too lazy and don't have much time to write an article on here, so if anyone wants to read my blog on why the trade will benefit and harm both sides, please PM me thanks. It's fine if you still have disagreements, but I'm using logic and facts to back up my opinion.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Why are people putting Watson on the third line?

In my case, it was more of a presentation of caphits than my definite view on how the lineups should be. I suppose I put him there because of the recent good play on Fisher's wing. Whatever. I'm also putting Duchene on 2nd line center even thought it's nothing but our speculation at this point.

So much can happen before next season. Do we trade for #2C? If yes, before TDL or after expansion draft? Do we go for rentals? Can we or do we even want to extend them? If we trade say Ekholm, do we trade for a replacement or look for UFA (are there any potential top4 available?)?

What's most important in my post, I suppose, is that this Duchene thing (or whatever it is we do) looks to be working cap-wise pretty well.

In my example we end up 3M below max cap and it's with the higher end of expectations for Fisher, Joey, Arvy extensions. If you need few more mils you sign Arvy to a bridge deal (which might be the case anyway).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad