Salary Cap: Re-signing Derek Stepan

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
DZ's good, but calling him a top paring D man should really only be refering to an AHL team. He's a 2nd paring guy, pure as they come.

Ideally, someone like Patrick Marleau for DZ, Boyle, prospect, pick at the deadline. Marleau has a NMC, and a NASTY cap hit, along with being 33. It could never happen.

Yeah, I meant top 4, not a top 2 guy.. but thats still very valuable when the prices for defensemen are as ridiculous as they have been.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
In before this one gets closed :devdance:

He surely won't, he's not part of the core, he's not that important to the team, he's not emerging as the #1 center we have been waiting to cultivate within the organization for the last 10 years, nope none of the above doesn't deserve the money, won't be resigned.

Stepanformayor*

I did not mean to piss anyone off!! I think it's a fair question and I am sorry I don't understand it all but Stepan is my favorite Ranger! I just don't get how a guy can lead the Rangers in almost every important category and be treated like this! No other team treats there top end guys like the way Sather has treated Stepan in this process. Is he not one of the most important players on this team? My guess is he will not sign for a while now. To go over the cap for the summer is a stupid idea. Is this how Sather always treats the young stars? Sorry I pissed everyone off but it was suppose to be a simple question. Has Sather even talked to Steps agent? My guess is probably not eh?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I did not mean to piss anyone off!! I think it's a fair question and I am sorry I don't understand it all but Stepan is my favorite Ranger! I just don't get how a guy can lead the Rangers in almost every important category and be treated like this! No other team treats there top end guys like the way Sather has treated Stepan in this process. Is he not one of the most important players on this team? My guess is he will not sign for a while now. To go over the cap for the summer is a stupid idea. Is this how Sather always treats the young stars? Sorry I pissed everyone off but it was suppose to be a simple question. Has Sather even talked to Steps agent? My guess is probably not eh?

You're overreacting a bit. It's cool.

Don't take it personal... This is just The board being the board, it's summer and they are having a little fun.

Stepan is being treated fine. Like a king in fact. He'll be paid. Both sides need to agree, they had a lot of RFAs to sign and are trying to extend Lundqvist as well...(not to mention free agency, bringing in a new coaching staff, etc.).

It just so happens that he's the last in line (well not really if you count Zuccarello, If he's even brought back). I'm sure the sides have talked already and are just going through the process...

The Rangers are treating the young guys just fine... And it's really Jeff Gorton (the assistant GM, soon to be GM) that's negotiating the contracts, not Sather.

Last edited:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

Trade negotiations aren't like nhl 13 where you put in a number and hit accept, there's negotiations involved everything isn't always mutually agreed upon overnight, it's about as good a guarantee you can make sather has been in touch with stepans agent many times probably multiple times a day, this guy is arguably the biggest most important part of the teams future offensively there's absolutely no reason to worry

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Can some of you stop acting like you're better than everyone else? If you don't like the thread, use the god damn report feature. We don't need "OMG STEPAN SUCKS GUISE BECAUSE SO AND SO SAID SO" or some smart ass responses.

To address the OP, apologies for those being rude to you. I actually think I'm going to leave this open, as we don't really have a thread to address the Stepan contract. To answer your question, he is absolutely going to be re-signed. The Rangers have the space to do so, and will have even more space when Powe/Asham are buried/picked up on waivers before the season starts. If worst comes to worst, Boyle or Pyatt will be traded, but I wouldn't be worried about signing Stepan at all.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Let me calm your fear a little bit, and not to be sarcastic in any way.

Stepan is not eligible for arbitration. Negotiations are continuing and he is expected to receive a multiyear contract for more than $3 million per season.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...gers-1.5660948

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Mcdonagh was the most important signing.. Gorton got that out of the way very quickly.. Hagelin signed this early so that both could avoid arbitration.. Stepan isn't eligible for arbitration, so he's likely going to take more time to sign to see how much he can get out of the Rangers, they are just negotiating. Stepan will be paid well by the Rangers and they see him as the future 1C, no worries.

Stepanformayor*

Thanks guys! I just don't understand how Step could be last in line for all he has done for the Rangers! Someone said Stepsn has not missed a game in three years, does anyone know if that's true?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks guys! I just don't understand how Step could be last in line for all he has done for the Rangers! Someone said Stepsn has not missed a game in three years, does anyone know if that's true?

He's not really "last in line" outside of Mcdonagh he was the top priority, its just that his contract is going to be harder to negotiate because he's not up for arbitration like Hagelin and Falk were, neither wanted to go to arbitration so they both signed contracts that they thought were fair that the Rangers presented them. Stepan's will be a little more difficult, but he will be signed :handclap:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

Quick google search and that's actually true, didn't realize steps never missed a game :amazed:

Knock on wood hope he keeps it up

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Yeah, St. Louis hasn't even finalized negotiations with that scrub Pietrangelo! He should demand a trade and hold out!

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I would try to lock up Stepan for 5 years 20M. 4M AAV, I think he's well worth that now and will be more than worth that going forward. If we have to lose Zucc or make a trade for it to happen, so be it.

Kershaw

Paying Stepan later than the other Restricted Free Agents does not mean that the Rangers don't want him back. 2 seasons ago, Brandon Dubinsky held out until Training Camp, but the Rangers desperately wanted him back. Same with Drew Doughty and the LA Kings who held out a few days before the season began. They sure value him as a commodity to build around, despite paying him late. Even this season you can look at PK Subban, the Norris Trophy winner who actually missed games due to lack of contract agreement between the two sides.

To sum it up, sometimes player negotiations vary in terms of time, however you shouldn't worry about him as he's extremely likely to return with the Rangers that I'll bet my house on it.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Can people please wrap their heads around the simple fact that there is no "last in line, first in line" type of business going on here? You don't just each throw out a number, split the difference, and celebrate. These are long negotiations. Just because Stepan's entire contract wasn't agreed to before Falk's, doesn't mean that he was less important to make. Sather/Gorton aren't treating him terribly like some here are suggesting. So can people please stop with the dramatics?

If negotiations were so easy, we wouldn't have missed half a season this year.

Kershaw

Can people please wrap their heads around the simple fact that there is no "last in line, first in line" type of business going on here? You don't just each throw out a number, split the difference, and celebrate. These are long negotiations. Just because Stepan's entire contract wasn't agreed to before Falk's, doesn't mean that he was less important to make. Sather/Gorton aren't treating him terribly like some here are suggesting. So can people please stop with the dramatics?

If negotiations were so easy, we wouldn't have missed half a season this year.

only 1 poster is claiming this and they may be new with the cap/contract negotiations... there are many casual hockey fans on this site as well, maybe we should cut the OP some slack.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Let's be nice children. Hypocritically, I'm saying this after trying out 29 snarky sarcastic remarks and finding none of them to be funny enough to post.

Kershaw and I are on the same page! What do I get?

Derision and scorn.

Superstar Carwash

Jul 5, 2011

I don't think so much he's the last in line, but it's more of a tricky situation than people might think. The RFA's we've had got signed quicker because it's pretty easy to project where they'll land (barring any injuries etc) a few years from now.

McDonagh's gonna be a top pair defenseman and maybe get a few more points/season than he has now, but his development is gonna decline a bit now. He'll still develop, but not at the rate he's done for the last few years.

Hagelin got a bridge deal cause it's hard to project where he will be a few years from now. His camp obviously say's hell develop into a solid 2nd-liner and commands that kind of money, while Sather's saying that's not a sure-thing and offers less money, so 2 years from now they'll know more. Chances are Sather was willing to go for a longer deal but realized he'd might not have enough money to sign Stepan long-term in that case. So a 2 year deal is perfect for both sides.

With Stepan, he's coming off a year where he's close to being a 1 PPG player, but had a pretty average playoffs AND on a heavily shortened season. The season before that he also had a pretty average playoffs and average season, so it's really hard to project a fair salary for Stepan. He'll obviously mention he's only 23 and already a PPG player and will only improve, while Sather's gonna be hesitant cause he's only been that for half a season.

I think they're pretty close to an actual number, but might differ a bit on the length of the actual contract. Stepan is obviously not the least important RFA because he's the last one left (apart from Mashinter), but he might be the most difficult to sign cause of what I just mentioned. I definitely don't think he's being treated poorly. This is a business and he knows that, his agent knows that and the management knows that. Management won't and can't wait to sign other RFA's just because Stepan might be the highest priority. Contract negotiations are ongoing with multiple players at the same time, it's not like they have a numbered list that they go down and leave a check mark once the signing is complete. Both sides want to commit, so barring any complete meltdown which I find extremely hard to believe, he'll be signed before camp starts.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Reno sounds like Stepanformayor and Esposhounds.

Marc Staal was last in line in 2010. Staal didn't sign his 5 year contract until two days before training camp started in September.

Faxius

Dec 28, 2006
I would try to lock up Stepan for 5 years 20M. 4M AAV, I think he's well worth that now and will be more than worth that going forward. If we have to lose Zucc or make a trade for it to happen, so be it.

If we're signing him long term I want more UFA years, even if it means paying him 4.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad