TV: Re-Boot of the Day: Matlock w. Kathy Bates

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I never understand reboots based on contemporary stuff like lawyers, cop stuff, etc.

Certain sci-fi/fantasy stuff I can get. You like the look of Star Trek ships so you want to make a new series there, or maybe it was a failed concept like Battlestar Galactica. Or take it in a completely new direction like with Planet of the Apes.

But a show about a lawyer from the south? Is Matlock an honorary title or something? Ugh so many reboots, heh.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
1675226428393.png

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Do they realize the age group who used to watch matlock is likely…deceased? (Rip nana!)
Good point..
Matlock was on 35 years ago, & even back then it had an older audience of Greatest Generation(ers), and middle aged Baby Boomers. 35 years ago, it was already a nostalgic aesthetic.. Andy Griffith essentially dressed like Colonel Sanders, and the courtroom had the feeling of To Kill a Mockingbird.

So now if the show stays true to it's origins, it would be appealing to 70/80 year old memes.. it would need a healthy market share of people old enough to remember/desire a throwback to the days of Mayberry & Atticus Finch. Don't think that's feasible, so they'll probably update the show to a point where all they're doing is initially cashing in on the Matlock name (Baby Boomers & Gen Xers make take a look out of curiosity), but delivering a substantially different product. But I do think they will leave in some vestigial Southern stereotypes.. maybe they'll dress Bates up like Colonel Sanders, or have her driving a Boss Hogg-type Cadillac, something along those (moronic) lines..

Last edited:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I still watch Matlock re-runs on MEtv at the gym :laugh:

Kathy Bates is interesting choice for the revival, I guess we shall see.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Do they realize the age group who used to watch matlock is likely…deceased? (Rip nana!)
yeah.. and just adding an exclamation point.. I'm reading a book on the early days of the FOX network, there's a chapter about FOX's pitch to get NFL broadcasting in 1993. FOX's hook was that they had the youngest, most desirable TV audience at the time. In '93, their average audience for 90210 & Melrose Place was 24 & 26 yrs old. In contrast they demonstrated that Matlock's median viewer was 56.2 yrs old.
I know this isn't a completely fair extrapolation, but that would make Matlock's potential median viewer now 86.2.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Whenever I hear about Matlock the first thing that comes to mind is Norm MacDonald's routine about buying the Matlock box set for his uncle who was dying of "battle cancer"

R.I.P. Norm, gone far too soon

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Whenever I hear about Matlock the first thing that comes to mind is Norm MacDonald's routine about buying the Matlock box set for his uncle who was dying of "battle cancer"

R.I.P. Norm, gone far too soon

I don’t know that one, but he loves his hit about seeing Ben Matlock at a book store, but it just turning out to be a random old man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad