Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I like this show.

I would not have cancelled Brooklyn Nine-Nine to bring it back

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I would not have cancelled Brooklyn Nine-Nine to bring it back

I would. Actually, it's a no brainer.

This show may be garbage but odds are it will draw better ratings than any of the three comedies cancelled by Fox.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I would. Actually, it's a no brainer.

This show may be garbage but odds are it will draw better ratings than any of the three comedies cancelled by Fox.

as I said in the other thread-- while Last Man Standing had good ratings--they did not have the Demographics that networks like

ideal demos at 18 to 40--LMS Demos are 40 to 60. People who own a house, upper middle class and people like that--not people who buy lots and lots of stuff--

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Last Man Standing might have not had the demographics that ABC was looking for. Though I mainly believe it was due to Allen's contract.

But it's still an improvement over what Brooklyn Nine-Nine and the other two canned shows were drawing. Both in the 18-40 demo and overall ratings. In addition, the show has some "buzz" from the nonsense as to why people believed it was cancelled in the first place.

I won't be watching but I can understand why they're giving it a shot. Not like the bar was high at Fox as of now.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I don't agree with some of the political topics/undertones in the show but i genuinely enjoyed watching it and the throwbacks/connections to Home Improvement

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My opinion is it only has that "buzz" that Reality Check is referring to because Allen whined and tried to play a victim the first time it was cancelled. And while I like and enjoy Tim Allen's work (always have, generally), it disappointed me that he tried to claim it was because he was a conservative in Hollywood rather than the fact that ABC renewing it for a 7th season would've meant a huge % pay increase to Allen, and in the end its viewing numbers just wasn't going to justify the cost of the show...at least to ABC it wouldn't (who knows if anything got re-worked or not at Fox). Now that is my understanding of the situation, it could absolutely be incorrect and if it is I will be happy to adjust my opinion on that.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I hate that I have to preface all this with the fact that I'm a liberal voting Canadian:
I think dismissing the political part of it as whining isnt fair. He did have a point about the number of openly conservative celebrities vs openly democratic celebrities & how there are some hiding their views to not face backlash from the public. Also seeing how Roseanne has been met by those with differing political viewpoints, ABC being owned by Disney (likely don't want to associate with a Pro trump POV)...etc

It may not have been the sole purpose but you can't deny it plays a big part for corporate image.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I don't think it was originally cancelled because of Tim Allen's political views. From the few LMS episodes I saw, it usually pocked fun at the caricature of conservatism Tim Allen usually talks about. Allen just needed a reason for the show failing and didn't want to admit it was because the show cost too much for its worth.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I hate that I have to preface all this with the fact that I'm a liberal voting Canadian:
I think dismissing the political part of it as whining isnt fair. He did have a point about the number of openly conservative celebrities vs openly democratic celebrities & how there are some hiding their views to not face backlash from the public. Also seeing how Roseanne has been met by those with differing political viewpoints, ABC being owned by Disney (likely don't want to associate with a Pro trump POV)...etc

It may not have been the sole purpose but you can't deny it plays a big part for corporate image.

I believe it had weaker numbers in the 18-49 key demographic than ABC's other sitcoms at the time of its original cancellation (those shows now have weaker numbers in that demo though): Modern Family, black-ish, and The Goldbergs. That along with Allen's impending pay raise = ABC not seeing any profitability reason to keep it going. If a show brings in eyeballs in that magical 18-49 demographic, a network isn't going to just cancel it.

And let's not act like 6 seasons wasn't a decent length for a sitcom--it was.

I still believe this is an example of Tim Allen (again, I am a fan--I loved Home Improvement growing up, Galaxy Quest is one of my favorite movies, and I thoroughly enjoy the Toy Story series) having some sour grapes about losing out on a pay increase, and chose to act like some sort of put-upon victim. From all accounts I've read/seen the show wasn't really all that political in nature anyway, so I see that as another reason to label it as whining.

An entertainer's politics don't matter to me though, so even though I've generally been a fan of his work that's why I was disappointed to see it. I mean I like Clint Eastwood's directorial efforts, could not care less about what he thinks about politics (just another example).

Now in the end I'm happy it came back for those who enjoyed the show and were a fan of it. Everyone deserves to have something they like to watch on TV.

Reactions: Teemu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad