Kings Vision: re·tool [rēˈto͞ol] VERB equip (a factory) with new or adapted tools:"textile-makers must retool plants to meet the demand for... " · "

Do you approve of the 2023 off season moves thus far?

• 1. Yes, I Approve...

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • 2. No, I do not Approve

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
"I have to say, the Kings board is straight up mental. Absolutely deranged." -BamBam1031

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Do you approve of the 2023 off season moves, if forced to answer right now, even though they may still be in progress?
Yes or no required.
Really ?
Why ?

Thanks you for the legitimate replies from the User's that do not fall into Bam Bam's description (below).
Stow it elsewhere to the failing meme pasters that qualified his remarks.

Due to feedback,
Addendums will be added below as moves are made, and I will enable votes to be changed.

June 30. 2023:
Kings Extend Qualifying Offers To Bjornfot, Fagemo, Madden & Thomas + Ward Signs One-Year Extension - LA Kings Insider

July 1, 2023:

BamBam1031

Registered User​

Aug 8, 2008771154
"I have to say, the Kings board is straight up mental. Everyone pats each other's back for "levels of nuance" and "circling back" on logical fallacies, but it's just a carefully groomed echo chamber of negativity where Blake is hated more than Trump. Absolutely deranged."

:HFB:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sol

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
If the moves end up being:

Adding PLD, and a Cam Talbot/Martin Jones/Joey Daccord/Jaroslav Halak/James Reimer/Alex Stalock then I'd give us a D-.

We really had no need for PLD, sure his size and grit is nice but there was no need to add ANOTHER top six forward. Our glaring issue in goal has/will not be addressed same for the need for another LHD, and size in our bottom six.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
iXyzjFM.png

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
It is kind of dumb and judge the offseason moves even before free agency has begun.
Sooo much can happen before the season starts so be a bit patient before you crucify Blake.
The PDL trade in a nutshell is a good trade and makes the team a lot better for a long time while leaving enough cap space to address the most pressing needs

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
blake's moves are kinda like cleaning up the dog vomit on my carpet. do i just step over it and move on?
1688140020830.png
?

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Going to be real interesting what Blake does to solve the current issue of having 16 players signed and only 4.5 million in cap space. I believe he has at least3 of the Kings prospects that must be signed plus goaltender. It will be impossible to compete with only 16 players on the team.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I think they needed to plan to move away from Kopi at some point and to have someone locked up long term is a move you have to make. That said, it is a gamble since I don't see him as a true #1 center yet. He'll have to grow into it so we may have some hiccups along the way.

But face it, we had a number of kids who we were watching to see what happens and then made the best judgement call on which to keep and which to jettison to other teams so they can continue their career. It just depends on the vision the Blake is fulfilling. He's moving the team away from the back end out, defensive responsibility and heavy game into something different. I wish he would declare what that is and what kind of team he's trying to build. I don't know what his vision is and as far as I can see, he hasn't stated it. It appears to be a more uptempo offensive team so it will take some getting used to since LA won with a defensive, heavy forecheck and a goalie that would steal games. We got used to it and were a little spoiled with Quick as a generational talent.

So now, we don't have that type of goalie to build around now and it seems like the intention is to share the responsibility on the ice where everyone is gonna have to chip in. But will the players buy into it, the lack of snarl on this team gives me pause that they can't get that far in the playoffs because they haven't come together yet nor stand up for themselves when shit happens. Moreover, I don't see the type of passion and all heart players like Dustin Brown (early years) that leave it all out there except maybe with Lizotte. So this may fizzle out before it really begins and no way to know for another year or so. It's gonna be up to the players. This team needs more sandpaper and I"m not sure that it needs to come from outside players, but may need to come from players that already have contracts. The team needs to come together more and they haven't shown me that thus far.

So I think Blake could use an above average grade for making decisions. But I also think he's overpaid a bit with the recent trade. But if PLD is going to be a number one center, that is the price you pay for one. We haven't really made a trade for a number one center like that. Time will tell if he's going to be the fit. It's a gamble.

It will really depend on what the players do with themselves on the ice and if they gel together. But we. had too many middle of the road contracts and time LA did something different since the status quo was a first round exit.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It is very hard to judge at the moment without emotion because we don't have all of the pieces of the puzzle and miss Vilard or are frightened we gave up a monster for a diva. We don't know Kopitar's future or the plans for the roster. Clearly, they were hoping to move Danault down to be the shutdown 3rd line center and have someone step up to be the 2nd line center by now and that hasn't happened. The Kings weren't great at center or difficult to play against as we thought.

There are a lot of positives. The Kings right now look great at center and are tough to score on with a lot of scoring threats. In a month Blake has gotten rid of virtually every whipping boy on the entire team, there are no serious defensive liabilities and every bad contract has been eliminated. The bones of the roster look very good at forward and defense on paper.

The negatives are we paid dearly to accomplish this and we are still not done so it is tough to see the final product without goaltending or the other holes we have lingering on the roster are addressed, and it is hard to tell what the lineup can do until we see them play this next season. Many of these issues we paid for were created by mistakes or bad management from Blake himself or by the organization's failures with developing talent.

Luc made a comment during his trade interview that alluded to Kopitar having the option to stay as long as he wants, but I honestly don't know what that means under Blake's reign. He has shown that he has no sentimentality which is something that can be good or bad :P Kopitar's future is going to be the biggest factor concerning the future of the franchise atm. Does he stay, can he still play, what will he sign for, or will he be gone completely are all questions that will linger throughout the year and cloud the future of the team mainly because we had so many issues at center. We also don't even really know exactly what we got in PLD until he touches the ice.

We technically will have tons of cap space if we lose Kopitar and Arvidsson at the end of the season for nothing... But we will end up in a worse place of PLD-Danault--??? in the middle again if Byfield or anyone else doesn't step up internally in the organization. I just find it hard to believe given how fragile this "contention" window is that Blake is could potentially go into it with two $1.5M goaltenders and prayer. But I will reserve judgment until the signing or trade takes place and the full roster is addressed. Clamoring over it now is meaningless because for all we know a good move is made and we end up with someone solid despite all odds...

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Going to be real interesting what Blake does to solve the current issue of having 16 players signed and only 4.5 million in cap space. I believe he has at least3 of the Kings prospects that must be signed plus goaltender. It will be impossible to compete with only 16 players on the team.

The only issue is in goal. Spence + Clarke = 1.7M. Pretty sure they can sign Tobi, JAD, and an extra F for 2.8M. Who knows, maybe Turcotte finally puts it together or Laf ort Chromiak impresses at camp. Either way, that will all fit.

The two obvious suspects are Roy and RV. Roy is probably easier to replace, but rolling all 3 of Tobi, Spence, and Clarke has it's risks. Depends on what one prefers - having 3 young guys like that in the lineup on a regular basis with someone like Korpi back there, or rolling with Copley and another reclamation with Roy in the lineup.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It is kind of dumb and judge the offseason moves even before free agency has begun.
Sooo much can happen before the season starts so be a bit patient before you crucify Blake.
The PDL trade in a nutshell is a good trade and makes the team a lot better for a long time while leaving enough cap space to address the most pressing needs
Your comment shows a lack of knowledge of where the Kings are at in their off season moves.
The cake is already baked and Blake is just finishing up icing it.
Sooo much is not happening, and Blake is handcuffed with the cap.
So you might want to save the in depth analysis for the DOdges and your causes they recently supported.
Thanks for the last sentence only.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
The only issue is in goal. Spence + Clarke = 1.7M. Pretty sure they can sign Tobi, JAD, and an extra F for 2.8M. Who knows, maybe Turcotte finally puts it together or Laf ort Chromiak impresses at camp. Either way, that will all fit.

The two obvious suspects are Roy and RV. Roy is probably easier to replace, but rolling all 3 of Tobi, Spence, and Clarke has it's risks. Depends on what one prefers - having 3 young guys like that in the lineup on a regular basis with someone like Korpi back there, or rolling with Copley and another reclamation with Roy in the lineup.
Losing RV would be a negative, he played pretty good for us. But cap system has its consequences

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Losing RV would be a negative, he played pretty good for us. But cap system has its consequences
Agreed, he is expiring and is likely priced too high given his age and the fact Blake wants to make the team bigger.
I thought he would be gone already and he could be any time before the deadline.
I almost feels like he got what he could up against the cap and when a player goes on LTIR or they accumulate cap space with the 21-22 man roster, before the deadline he will makes moves.
I would hazard, this means Blake is already planning to use next years 1st round pick be fore then again.
He is also waiting for the salary cap dam to open next summer.

Reactions: jgs

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It is very hard to judge at the moment without emotion because we don't have all of the pieces of the puzzle and miss Vilard or are frightened we gave up a monster for a diva. We don't know Kopitar's future or the plans for the roster. Clearly, they were hoping to move Danault down to be the shutdown 3rd line center and have someone step up to be the 2nd line center by now and that hasn't happened. The Kings weren't great at center or difficult to play against as we thought.

There are a lot of positives. The Kings right now look great at center and are tough to score on with a lot of scoring threats. In a month Blake has gotten rid of virtually every whipping boy on the entire team, there are no serious defensive liabilities and every bad contract has been eliminated. The bones of the roster look very good at forward and defense on paper.

The negatives are we paid dearly to accomplish this and we are still not done so it is tough to see the final product without goaltending or the other holes we have lingering on the roster are addressed, and it is hard to tell what the lineup can do until we see them play this next season. Many of these issues we paid for were created by mistakes or bad management from Blake himself or by the organization's failures with developing talent.

Luc made a comment during his trade interview that alluded to Kopitar having the option to stay as long as he wants, but I honestly don't know what that means under Blake's reign. He has shown that he has no sentimentality which is something that can be good or bad :P Kopitar's future is going to be the biggest factor concerning the future of the franchise atm. Does he stay, can he still play, what will he sign for, or will he be gone completely are all questions that will linger throughout the year and cloud the future of the team mainly because we had so many issues at center. We also don't even really know exactly what we got in PLD until he touches the ice.

We technically will have tons of cap space if we lose Kopitar and Arvidsson at the end of the season for nothing... But we will end up in a worse place of PLD-Danault--??? in the middle again if Byfield or anyone else doesn't step up internally in the organization. I just find it hard to believe given how fragile this "contention" window is that Blake is could potentially go into it with two $1.5M goaltenders and prayer. But I will reserve judgment until the signing or trade takes place and the full roster is addressed. Clamoring over it now is meaningless because for all we know a good move is made and we end up with someone solid despite all odds...
Overall a solid reply and I understand your points.
However, this is meant to focus on this off season only, nothing in the future and nothing in the past.
I disagree with your sentiment and feel this is a worthy chapter in the Kings book under Rob Blake.
Thank you.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Overall a solid reply and I understand your points.
However, this is meant to focus on this off season only, nothing in the future and nothing in the past.
I disagree with your sentiment and feel this is a worthy chapter in the Kings book under Rob Blake.
Thank you.
It could definitely be a worthy chapter, it is just that we haven't reached free agency yet and he is the middle of writing it so it is hard to say until we have more than 16 players on the team or at least two goaltenders signed :P But I acknowledge that our votes can change as the offseason progresses and the spirit of your thread.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Great breakdown.
I would prefer to trade Arvi, keep and extend Roy this summer.
Blake indicates he wants more size and with that, will hopefully refrain from allowing any semblance of grit to depart.
I wanted Korpi resigned FA but it was impossible after PLD and no further trades.
Moverare is waiver snatchable and he and Conauton are in the mix as LHD's with more experience, in addition to Bjornfot.
Clarke and Spence push each other in the AHL while Blake evaluates his next moves before the deadline.
I would bet he uses the next 1st round pick.
The clock is ticking on TMac and Rob's contracts.
This makes the goalie situation surprising.
But it's not opening night yet.
I will be adding addendum's as the Kings make more moves, in the original poll post.
Thanks

Addendums will be added below as moves are made, and I will enable votes to be changed.

June 30. 2023:
Kings Extend Qualifying Offers To Bjornfot, Fagemo, Madden & Thomas + Ward Signs One-Year Extension - LA Kings Insider

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Adding PLD, and a Cam Talbot/Martin Jones/Joey Daccord/Jaroslav Halak/James Reimer/Alex Stalock then I'd give us a D-.

We really had no need for PLD, sure his size and grit is nice but there was no need to add ANOTHER top six forward. Our glaring issue in goal has/will not be addressed same for the need for another LHD, and size in our bottom six.

if Vegas cam win the cup with Adin Hill, who only had to make the stops needed, Cam Talbot/Martin Jones/Joey Daccord/Jaroslav Halak/James Reimer/Alex Stalock or any other bum on that list can do it too. :laugh:
It would be funny to get Jones back, at least we'd have 3 or 4 fewer lossses.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
The offseason moves have the potential to be good if:

1. The Kings are prepared to move on from Kopitar at the end of this season, &
2. Todd is prepared to let the kids play.

If from all this chaos we get a line -up like the below

Kempe Kopitar Byfield
Fiala PLD Kaliyev
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fagemo Lizzotte Grundstrom

Anderson Doughty
Gavrikov Roy
Bjornfoot Clarke
Spence

(Goaltenders)

Where the kids FINALLY get real minutes on a contending team alongside vets, including real powerplay time, that would be amazing.

I totally get the inclination on Kopitar's last contract year to say F-it and go for gold. If you flame out, fine, you tried, but then we have a solid place to either rebuild or sell off with a ton of under 28 assets and the only contract albatross being Doughty.

BUT, if this next season is just vets getting all the time and youth getting none, and we resign kopitar with no plan for growing our prospects, then this is TRASH.

• Wow

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Kempe Kopitar Byfield
Fiala PLD Kaliyev
Moore Danault Arvidsson

Anderson Doughty
Gavrikov Roy
Bjornfoot Clarke
Spence

(Goaltenders)

Where the kids FINALLY get real minutes on a contending team alongside vets, including real powerplay time, that would be amazing.

I totally get the inclination on Kopitar's last contract year to say F-it and go for gold. If you flame out, fine, you tried, but then we have a solid place to either rebuild or sell off with a ton of under 28 assets and the only contract albatross being Doughty.

BUT, if this next season is just vets getting all the time and youth getting none, and we resign kopitar with no plan for growing our prospects, then this is TRASH.
I dont think there is enough cap to field that roster. Maybe if they carry no spare forward but Im not positive.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It could definitely be a worthy chapter, it is just that we haven't reached free agency yet and he is the middle of writing it so it is hard to say until we have more than 16 players on the team or at least two goaltenders signed :P But I acknowledge that our votes can change as the offseason progresses and the spirit of your thread.
I have heard this valid point from you and others.
Addendum's with the latest Kings moves will be added to the original poll post.

if Vegas cam win the cup with Adin Hill, who only had to make the stops needed, Cam Talbot/Martin Jones/Joey Daccord/Jaroslav Halak/James Reimer/Alex Stalock or any other bum on that list can do it too. :laugh:
It would be funny to get Jones back, at least we'd have 3 or 4 fewer lossses.
We are not the Knights and they were lucky none of their top 6 D missed any games during the playoffs.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Kempe Kopitar Byfield
Fiala PLD Kaliyev
Moore Danault Arvidsson

Anderson Doughty
Gavrikov Roy
Bjornfoot Clarke
Spence

(Goaltenders)

Kopitar was very good last year and indoctrinated Byfield to a successful line 1.
He still has his important captain role as a future 1st ballot HoFer.
He says he wants to stay, Luc and Rob said he is staying.
I hope its 1 year at a time.
It seems Blake is going to put him in a sorry bo, thats all the cap space we have situation, however.
Very interesting scenario.
Leery on aged players after watching Quick go superova 21/22 playoffs to black hole last year.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I have heard this valid point from you and others.
Addendum's with the latest Kings moves will be added to the original poll post.

We are not the Knights and they were lucky none of their top 6 D missed any games during the playoffs.

That always seem to be the key to a long cup run, like ours in 2012. All the dmen stayed healthy.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Not sure what the funny farm was smirking at, this qualified as a re-tool with space to spare.

3 starting LA Kings regular players were shipped
Multiple players were not extended

In addition the Organization brought in
2 new GT's
4 New Defense men
3 New forwards

It felt like a huge turnover but we will see how it looks on October 10th.
Seems like Blake is prepared to lose some guys on the waiver wire.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Center was our main need.

I agree that we needed a goalie, LHD, and some size/grit on our bottom line, but center was more important.

I love RV, but had he been moved, we could've used the cap space to do a lot better than Lewis and Englund.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00