RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The GM and Head Scout are all about a certain profile they want to draft and it starts with speed/skating. I think Celebrini would be their 1st pick but if they are picking 2n3/3rd/4th - I would not rule out Parekh as their pick because he fits the profile perfectly and he also is RD which they don't have much of in the prospect pipeline - 1 RD (Rinzel) to go along with 6 LD's (Vlassic, Korchinski, Kaiser, del Mastro, Allan, Phillips). Levshunov is RD too and has plus size which Parelh doesn't have but size is not a problem as all their d-prospects are over 6'0" with the exception of Kaiser who is 6' even.
Yeah, CBH is amassing an Emperor's Guard of dmen. I could see Parekh being interesting for them, but CHI needs some forward talent to pair with Bedard first and foremost.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, CBH is amassing an Emperor's Guard of dmen. I could see Parekh being interesting for them, but CHI needs some forward talent to pair with Bedard first and foremost.
D take longer to develop and this is a heavy d draft specifically righties. They're going defenseman for sure. They are gonna be bad for a while

I think Tony DeAngelo is the comparable.
Of course you say this. There's always a narrative or angle with your evaluations. Hard to take them seriously even when you're accurate. Which rarely happens when it's an American/Canadian/Rangers/Devils/Islanders prospect you're evaluating. Otherwise you're actually pretty decent.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
D take longer to develop and this is a heavy d draft specifically righties. They're going defenseman for sure. They are gonna be bad for a while
I disagree. A running mate for Bedard is a must, ASAP. Can't rely on Nazar. Demidov would be perfect.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Hawks defensive prospect pool is much deeper than it's forward pool. Vlasic, Del Mastro, Korchinski, Rinzel, and Allan are all 22 or under. The only thing missing is a right handed offensive defenseman, but our forward prospect pool has no high profile forwards 6'0" or bigger. We are heavily lacking any promising sizeable forwards. I'd be happy with Parekh, Buium, Levshunov, or any top end forwards available to us. Silayev, Dickinson, and Catton would be the players that don't fit our needs.

Reactions: bert

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The GM and Head Scout are all about a certain profile they want to draft and it starts with speed/skating. I think Celebrini would be their 1st pick but if they are picking 2n3/3rd/4th - I would not rule out Parekh as their pick because he fits the profile perfectly and he also is RD which they don't have much of in the prospect pipeline - 1 RD (Rinzel) to go along with 6 LD's (Vlassic, Korchinski, Kaiser, del Mastro, Allan, Phillips). Levshunov is RD too and has plus size which Parelh doesn't have but size is not a problem as all their d-prospects are over 6'0" with the exception of Kaiser who is 6' even.
As a Habs fan who would love to find a way to snag Demidov - by all means go for Parekh. I would just think they can probably trade a few spots back from #2/3 and still get him

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I know +/- is a very contextual stat but Parekh led his team in +/- with a good margin (11). I admit to never have seen any full game with him, and the highlights do point to some of his defensive liabilities but are they overblown?

Or is the concern that if his offense does not translate to the same level in the pros's his defensive issues will stand out more?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I disagree. A running mate for Bedard is a must, ASAP. Can't rely on Nazar. Demidov would be perfect.
Well thats fine, they should be surrounding him with veteran forwards though.

As a Habs fan who would love to find a way to snag Demidov - by all means go for Parekh. I would just think they can probably trade a few spots back from #2/3 and still get him
I've heard he is flat out the best player in the OHL as a 17 year old D man. I dont think players like that fall or if you like them you take a risk like that.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I know +/- is a very contextual stat but Parekh led his team in +/- with a good margin (11). I admit to never have seen any full game with him, and the highlights do point to some of his defensive liabilities but are they overblown?

Or is the concern that if his offense does not translate to the same level in the pros's his defensive issues will stand out more?
I remember half way through the season he was middle of the pack in +/- on his own team. I have only seen like 3 full games of Parekh and I noticed as the year progressed, he looked much better defending in the game I saw last than the one I saw first

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Watched the game on stream last night. Parekh is adding more physicality to his game lately.

During a pp at the end of the 2nd. period while he was retrieving the pucks in his zone he glued a forward to the board, you could see it was getting intense between the 2 and then the camera followed the play, i didn't see the rest, they didn't give us replay. It appear Parekh got into the wrong side of the altercation and left the game.

Been 3-4 games this series he's getting bruised up. Hopefully he'll be fine for games7 or later i don't know.

Reactions: slumpy43

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Earlier than 6. Got hurt in game 3. Missed game 4. Played 5 and 6 but with sheltered time. Wasn't 100%. Probably not anywhere near it otherwise they would have played him in game 7. Will see where he's at on Friday.
If they are already in the mem cup and he isnt close to 100 percent they should probably rest him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad