Value of: RD with Term

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The demand for defensively trustworthy Top 4 RHD leaguewide outstrips the supply. Toronto fans wanted that partner for Rielly 5 years ago and the Leafs are still looking. Don't even think about one on a 2nd (peak value) contract.
Not an RHD, but they found it with TJ Brodie for a while there

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
For Pulock from the leafs I’d offer Knies, Cowan, Minten, 1st 2024 and 1st 2027
Pulock isn’t the one available honestly. Mayfield would be the one to be moved. The offer however is atleast decent. Personally I’d rather remove Cowan or Minten and include Niemela in the deal. Niemela can then step in and play 3RD minutes with Bolduc/Reilly/Aho to fill the LHD void.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Would love to see what we could get for Savard. 1 yr left on his deal @ 3.5mil. He's got 89 blocked shots in 30 games this year (top 50 in the league) and is really solid defensively.

I could see Montreal willing to retain so the return in what the market is shaping up to be as a sellers market, the price could be pretty high.

All the guys Hawks had that were talked about as 50% flips are no longer options

Hall is injured, Foligno re-signed and Perry was kicked off team

The Hawks very much should be open to moving Murphy (2 yrs at $4.4M) and eating 50% to maximize value should be strategy as we did with McCabe last TDL

2 yrs at $2.2M is a steal for Murphy and should garner Hawks a 1st at very least

Hawks would still have 1 retention slot available for move this offseason or next and McCabe's comes off books in offseason of 2025

I've had Murphy pegged at around 2 2nd's value. 50% retained for a 1st + small add makes too much sense for some teams. Toronto could use him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Scott Mayfield just signed a shiny new contract of 7 years. He’s your right hand man.

Has he really been that bad? I haven't really noticed him much in Isles games this year.

That term is just insane though. It's absurd to sign a kind of slow defenceman to that sort of term that late into his career. He's gonna be functionally stationary by the end of that deal. Even if it brought the AAV down a little bit.

I do still kind of wonder if you wouldn't find a taker for it though. A GM on the hot seat who doesn't really have to care about half a decade down the road. If they can get a serviceable #4/5 tweener Stay at Home RHD with size like that in the meantime.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like Fabbro might be someone who could be a subtle pickup. He had some success as Josi's partner a few years ago, might be a more economical add if Nashville has decided to move on.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Has he really been that bad? I haven't really noticed him much in Isles games this year.

That term is just insane though. It's absurd to sign a kind of slow defenceman to that sort of term that late into his career. He's gonna be functionally stationary by the end of that deal. Even if it brought the AAV down a little bit.

I do still kind of wonder if you wouldn't find a taker for it though. A GM on the hot seat who doesn't really have to care about half a decade down the road. If they can get a serviceable #4/5 tweener Stay at Home RHD with size like that in the meantime.
His game has almost imploded to an absurd amount of just basic lazy mistakes. He looks like he did when he first came up and was just a mess. No idea what happened from the Barry Trotz era until this year but it’s crazy the regression. His AAV isn’t bad but 7 years is just too much for a guy of his play style.

Reactions: biturbo19

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I say you could get a late first and b prospect without retention. If you retained probably could get a better prospect and/or another pick. Top 4 rd are a commodity come playoff time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like Fabbro might be someone who could be a subtle pickup. He had some success as Josi's partner a few years ago, might be a more economical add if Nashville has decided to move on.

Fabbro is definitely a candidate to be a sneaky good pickup for someone at the deadline this year. Seems like the sort of player who should be able to just quietly plug in to a deeper defence corps as a pretty low maintenance #4/5 with a ton of ability to step up as an insurance policy when called upon.

As far as having "term" though...there's a measure of team control remaining, but with a lot of leverage in his court. To make it either a short term situation, or who knows what it'd take to get him to sign long-term instead. He's probably in more of a situation to force short term, maybe even via arbitration...to play more in a different situation, put up some more points, and secure himself a better long-term UFA payday.

His game has almost imploded to an absurd amount of just basic lazy mistakes. He looks like he did when he first came up and was just a mess. No idea what happened from the Barry Trotz era until this year but it’s crazy the regression. His AAV isn’t bad but 7 years is just too much for a guy of his play style.

That's pretty weird. It didn't seem like Mayfield completely imploded last year. Seemed like he was still mostly capable of holding his own in a quasi #4/5 shutdown type role.

Does make one wonder if he's not a bit of a "system" player though. Curious if more defensive-oriented "systems" teams would still be willing to take a risk on that, hoping for a return to form.

That contract though. It was such a wtf? when it was signed and the term was announced. Certainly looking extra bad at this point i guess. That's a huge amount of liability for anyone to even roll the dice on.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
That's pretty weird. It didn't seem like Mayfield completely imploded last year. Seemed like he was still mostly capable of holding his own in a quasi #4/5 shutdown type role.

Does make one wonder if he's not a bit of a "system" player though. Curious if more defensive-oriented "systems" teams would still be willing to take a risk on that, hoping for a return to form.

That contract though. It was such a wtf? when it was signed and the term was announced. Certainly looking extra bad at this point i guess. That's a huge amount of liability for anyone to even roll the dice on.
AAV wasn’t bad but term was puzzling. I would have done 3-4 years max on Mayfield as well as Engvall so they’re not a major deal going forward.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
AAV wasn’t bad but term was puzzling. I would have done 3-4 years max on Mayfield as well as Engvall so they’re not a major deal going forward.

Really felt like Lou just said, "screw it, i'll be retired by the time these things turn sour" and went wild with term to bring the AAV down just a little bit. But these are not the sort of players you necessarily want to lock up with that much security and term. Just really hurts your flexibility in tweaking those depth areas of the roster for a very very long time. Even if they're decent players in the meantime...and don't randomly implode, as depth players sometimes do.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Really felt like Lou just said, "screw it, i'll be retired by the time these things turn sour" and went wild with term to bring the AAV down just a little bit. But these are not the sort of players you necessarily want to lock up with that much security and term. Just really hurts your flexibility in tweaking those depth areas of the roster for a very very long time. Even if they're decent players in the meantime...and don't randomly implode, as depth players sometimes do.
Exactly. If anything, I would have rather seen him lock up Romanov and Dobson long term and then tell Mayfield and Engvall 3 -4 years max with a handshake of a second deal when it comes to it. A top 4 blue line of:
Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
?????-????

Is actually really solid future assuming all stay healthy and play up to their potential. Bolduc id like to see get more playing time so he can develop a bit more. He shows promise offensively but has made quite a bit of rookie mistakes. He seems like once he develops, he’s going to be one solid guy for the left side going forward.

Lou or whoever the next GM is has some work to do. Palmieri, Pageau, Wahlstrom, Martin, Aho and Clutterbuck should all be moved out/not signed again going forward. Engvall needs to show he can do something consistently somewhat or else buy him out and deal with whatever the cap hit will be. On the other end, Mayfield needs to figure out why he regressed so much over a season and just get his confidence back.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Exactly. If anything, I would have rather seen him lock up Romanov and Dobson long term and then tell Mayfield and Engvall 3 -4 years max with a handshake of a second deal when it comes to it. A top 4 blue line of:
Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
?????-????

Is actually really solid future assuming all stay healthy and play up to their potential. Bolduc id like to see get more playing time so he can develop a bit more. He shows promise offensively but has made quite a bit of rookie mistakes. He seems like once he develops, he’s going to be one solid guy for the left side going forward.

Lou or whoever the next GM is has some work to do. Palmieri, Pageau, Wahlstrom, Martin, Aho and Clutterbuck should all be moved out/not signed again going forward. Engvall needs to show he can do something consistently somewhat or else buy him out and deal with whatever the cap hit will be. On the other end, Mayfield needs to figure out why he regressed so much over a season and just get his confidence back.

Out of curiosity, i just tossed Engvall and Mayfield into the ol' buyout calculator to see just how goofy that looks.

It's not even catastrophic. It's just hilarious and insane. Basically either of them, it's just burning ~$1M until 2036. Which is hard to even conceptualize. But i guess the Isles are no stranger to "forever buyouts" after the DiPietro/Yashin things. :laugh: And really, $1M is probably not going to be backbreaking as the cap goes up. The whole thing is just bizarre though.

Reactions: miscs75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad