Value of: RD with Term

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Friedman mentioned that some teams are ok taking players with Term. I assume this is because the cap is going up so fitting them in the next season or 2 should be ok compared to a bidding war for the UFA's this coming off season. It does not look like a strong group. he Mentioned Connor Murphy. he is 30 has 2 years after this year at 4.4 AAV and is a RD with size. he is out with a groin injury the last 4-5 games but is back skating. no idea what the market is. he is probably a #5 on playoff team that can PK. I would think the value would be a future 2nd round pick or a #1 if hawks retained 50% (2.2 aav) at least that would be the ask. would probably have some conditional picks going back based on health. I would agree if he was not a RD they would be no way he would get that return.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The demand for defensively trustworthy Top 4 RHD leaguewide outstrips the supply. Toronto fans wanted that partner for Rielly 5 years ago and the Leafs are still looking. Don't even think about one on a 2nd (peak value) contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Friedman mentioned that some teams are ok taking players with Term. I assume this is because the cap is going up so fitting them in the next season or 2 should be ok compared to a bidding war for the UFA's this coming off season. It does not look like a strong group. he Mentioned Connor Murphy. he is 30 has 2 years after this year at 4.4 AAV and is a RD with size. he is out with a groin injury the last 4-5 games but is back skating. no idea what the market is. he is probably a #5 on playoff team that can PK. I would think the value would be a future 2nd round pick or a #1 if hawks retained 50% (2.2 aav) at least that would be the ask. would probably have some conditional picks going back based on health. I would agree if he was not a RD they would be no way he would get that return.
Murphy at 50% retained for a late 1st is probably a good deal for a few teams.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Oilers would love to upgrade Ceci, so anyone needing a "in a pinch" 2nd pairing or "super solid" 3rd pairing RD should apply... especially if you aren't willing or able to pay the prices for a true 2nd pairing guy.... ie your needs are not as severe.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
RD are in general as valuable or almost as valuable as centers. Your valuation of Murphy is off.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Seth Jones has term
Just out of curiosity, would Chicago retain 3mil on jones? I mean, they aren't competing for a cup within the length of his contract, and they have a ton of cap space to retain. If so, what would the cost be on him at said price?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The demand for defensively trustworthy Top 4 RHD leaguewide outstrips the supply. Toronto fans wanted that partner for Rielly 5 years ago and the Leafs are still looking. Don't even think about one on a 2nd (peak value) contract.

I mean, much of the Leafs problem finding that person is because they tie up 60% of their cap in 5 players.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
RD are in general as valuable or almost as valuable as centers. Your valuation of Murphy is off.
your saying the value is low or high?
Just out of curiosity, would Chicago retain 3mil on jones? I mean, they aren't competing for a cup within the length of his contract, and they have a ton of cap space to retain. If so, what would the cost be on him at said price?
I think the issue is Chicago does not want to have term out more then 2-3 years. they done have a single contract past 25-26 other then Jones. they may extend vlasic longer but he has been really good and 22.

Reactions: hurdemz

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If the isles are selling I wouldn’t be opposed to moving Pulock, but he wouldn’t come cheap.
I'm keeping Pulock over Mayfield. Pulock coming back made Pelech look more confident. Moving him means Scott Mayfield is going to play top 4 minutes and you know what that will turn into.

Reactions: PWJunior

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I'm keeping Pulock over Mayfield. Pulock coming back made Pelech look more confident. Moving him means Scott Mayfield is going to play top 4 minutes and you know what that will turn into.
Pulock would return a haul. Mayfield couldn’t get much more then a 1st

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

I agree, I also think Buldoc will eventually prove to be a decent second pairing defenseman. However if a team is willing to overpay for Pulock I would entertain it.

Mayfield would return a mid round pick at best. He isn’t having a good year and he’s locked up for 6 more years.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Mayfield for a 1st? Sold. That means the Isles can use his cap space for a 1-2 year guy and then bring someone in the system up. As for Pulock, the Isles have no reason to move him and the haul wouldn’t be worth it. Isles don’t want some garbage $5m cap hit, mediocre B tier prospect and a 1st in return. The offer would have to blow them away and quite a few teams aren’t giving that up.

I agree, I also think Buldoc will eventually prove to be a decent second pairing defenseman. However if a team is willing to overpay for Pulock I would entertain it.

Mayfield would return a mid round pick at best. He isn’t having a good year and he’s locked up for 6 more years.
Bolduc should be playing over Aho but Roy is testing Aho to see what he has. Same reason why Wahlstrom keeps playing instead of brining up someone from the AHL.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Mayfield for a 1st? Sold. That means the Isles can use his cap space for a 1-2 year guy and then bring someone in the system up. As for Pulock, the Isles have no reason to move him and the haul wouldn’t be worth it. Isles don’t want some garbage $5m cap hit, mediocre B tier prospect and a 1st in return. The offer would have to blow them away and quite a few teams aren’t giving that up.

Bolduc should be playing over Aho but Roy is testing Aho to see what he has. Same reason why Wahlstrom keeps playing instead of brining up someone from the AHL.

Yep, Buldoc needs experience and to gain some more muscle, but I think long term he is an NHL regular.

Reactions: PWJunior

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yep, Buldoc needs experience and to gain some more muscle, but I think long term he is an NHL regular.
Bolduc and Bortuzzo looked solid as a bottom pairing but please, anything but Aho and Mayfield. That pairing was worse than the Toews Mayfield pairing when he first came up and they kept getting caught on the same side of the ice during goals against.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
All the guys Hawks had that were talked about as 50% flips are no longer options

Hall is injured, Foligno re-signed and Perry was kicked off team

The Hawks very much should be open to moving Murphy (2 yrs at $4.4M) and eating 50% to maximize value should be strategy as we did with McCabe last TDL

2 yrs at $2.2M is a steal for Murphy and should garner Hawks a 1st at very least

Hawks would still have 1 retention slot available for move this offseason or next and McCabe's comes off books in offseason of 2025

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

For Pulock from the leafs I’d offer Knies, Cowan, Minten, 1st 2024 and 1st 2027

• Haha
Reactions: hurdemz

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That would be Seth Jones on a $6.5m x 6 contract - I'd say that would be worth a massive haul, a lot of buyers would have a hard time finding the assets for that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00