RD Will Borgen (2015, 92nd, BUF)

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Hey guys, I havent seen a thread for him. I have seen a few positive tweets regarding his play in the NCAA this year. He is currently at the U.S. Development Camp.

Any insight on his play and upside?

Thanks!

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
I've only seen a few of St. Cloud's games but Borgen has looked very steady. He's playing great hockey on one of The best College teams in the country. Hope he can make the team so Myself and many others can get a better look during the WJC.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
He's kind of an ice-in-his-veins type of player. He went from HS, to USHL, to NCAA, to WJC level hockey all in the span of 12 months, but to him it's just playing hockey like he normally does. The kid has no stage fright at all... it's kind of weird really. I'm sure he's honored to play for the USA (he's said as much), but you wouldn't guess it from his tone of voice. He's very nonchalant about it all. He says the word "excited" the same way I say "dentist appointment."

The original plan was for Borgen to play a full season in the USHL, but he did so well in his spring stint last season that the coaches at SCSU felt like they needed to bring him in right away. "Straight-from-MN-high-school" players are becoming a rarity, so it definitely says something about his natural talent level.

His style of play is fairly balanced. He's confident when moving the puck up ice but cautious about getting burnt on a turnover. He's positionally very sound for a freshman and makes good decisions, but he's not quite ready to quarterback a top-ranked power play unit. Physical and plays the body well... particularly for a freshman. He's not the type of defenseman to go coast-to-coast or to try to beat a backchecker to the corner on the rush. He's a pass-first defenseman.

Decision Making: A- (weighted for being a freshman, it's an easy A+)
Physicality: B+
Skating: B+
Hands: B

For anybody curious about the scar on his neck: NSFW

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well this thread may get some more action with him being on the big stage at the WJC's. Glad he made it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Quite the story really. From thinking you are a year away from heading to play NCAA hockey to making the WJ team. He's had a heck of a post draft rise.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Could he have a Ben Hutton type rise? Does anyone think he can continue a steep development curve?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Any NCAA watchers have anything to report on how Borgen looks this season playing on a STC team that's ranked #1?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Continue to see this guy as a throwback defenseman who has enough mobility and brain to not be caught when he engages physically. It's something that he's been named to the Olympic team, though that might have to do with Chelios being familiar with him from the U-20's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is he developing? He's now played two full AHL seasons, and only has 4 NHL games, none coming this season. I know the Sabres have a lot of defensemen. Is that the reason he hasn't been given a chance with the NHL team yet or does he no longer project as an NHL defenseman?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
How is he developing? He's now played two full AHL seasons, and only has 4 NHL games, none coming this season. I know the Sabres have a lot of defensemen. Is that the reason he hasn't been given a chance with the NHL team yet or does he no longer project as an NHL defenseman?
Had too many RHD last season for him to get games as Buffalo had Jokiharju, Risto, Montour, Miller and Bogo to start the season

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

He is still a decent prospect with a shot at the NHL but the logjam at D is preventing him from being given a real opportunity.

His offense has never really come around. I don't expect anything more than a bottom-pair D. But as a mobile, shutdown guy, I think it is still in reach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad