RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Soderstrom to me is an absolute blue chipper. Firmly in my top 10.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Better than adam boqvist at same age imo

I wouldn't say so, better in the SHL for sure though. Söderström is stronger and more mature in his game and it helps him. I like Boqvist more as a prospect but that could change over this season, gap isn't huge.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I wouldn't say so, better in the SHL for sure though. Söderström is stronger and more mature in his game and it helps him. I like Boqvist more as a prospect but that could change over this season, gap isn't huge.
Söderström has been underrated for a while now.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

He played better in the SHL game I saw him in than he did for the J20 games in Stockholm. Competent defender, read the game well, minimal offense. The J20 side was a bit of a mess against AIK both days.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
2nd best D in the draft class and easy top 10 for me.
Also could be 2nd best D for me. Between him and York right now. If Soderstrom gets some quality SHL time that'll really sway things in his favour.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He played better in the SHL game I saw him in than he did for the J20 games in Stockholm. Competent defender, read the game well, minimal offense. The J20 side was a bit of a mess against AIK both days.

Minimal offense? :help:

I don't think he's the offensive defenseman that Boqvist is, but he should be a PP player at the NHL level. Could be PP1 on a team without an elite PPQB or PP2 on a team with an elite PPQB.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
If he’s the 2nd best D in the draft, then D is really gonna be down next year. Nice enough player, but at his size, not sure nice is enough at the NHL level. Yes, Nils Lundkvist got drafted in the 1st, but the Rangers scouting in Sweden is a bit of a mess right now.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he’s the 2nd best D in the draft, then D is really gonna be down next year. Nice enough player, but at his size, not sure nice is enough at the NHL level. Yes, Nilsson Lundkvist got drafted in the 1st, but the Rangers scouting in Sweden is a bit of a mess right now.

It is a bad year for D. That doesn't mean Soderstrom is a bad defenseman.

He's better than Lundkvist. I agree that the Rangers Swedish scouting is a complete mess and Lundkvist shouldn't have been a first rounder, but Soderstrom should be a first rounder.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Honestly, it's not too bad of a year for defensemen.

Byram, Broberg, Soderstrom, York, Seider, Robertson, Honka, Vujokevic, Has, Kokkonen, Knyazev, Bjornfot, Brinkman and potentially some sleepers such a Lee or Thrun who have the potential to make a case as the year goes on could all find themselves in the first round. It's definitely a year for the centers and goalies though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Byram, Broberg, Soderstrom, York, Seider, Robertson, Honka, Vujokevic, Has, Kokkonen, Knyazev, Bjornfot, Brinkman and potentially some sleepers such a Lee or Thrun who have the potential to make a case as the year goes on could all find themselves in the first round. It's definitely a year for the centers and goalies though.

Make a list of the best 10 defenseman from the past two drafts. How many would come from 2019? 2-3?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Make a list of the best 10 defenseman from the past two drafts. How many would come from 2019? 2-3?
I could see it playing out something like:
1. Dahlin
2. Heiskanen
3. Byram
4. Dobson
5. Soderstrom
6. Bouchard
7. Hughes
8. Boqvist
9. York
10. Alexeyev

3/10. Almost a third, not bad, especially considering how phenomenal the 2018 draft was for defensemen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I could see it playing out something like:
1. Dahlin
2. Heiskanen
3. Byram
4. Dobson
5. Soderstrom
6. Bouchard
7. Hughes
8. Boqvist
9. York
10. Alexeyev

3/10. Almost a third, not bad, especially considering how phenomenal the 2018 draft was for defensemen.

Heiskanen is from 2017. I don’t think it needs to compare favorably to 2018, but I think it’s below average either way. Probably only one top ten guy with Byram. A couple could go in the 11-20 range, but that’s still a huge discrepancy that we almost never see.

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
Heiskanen is from 2017. I don’t think it needs to compare favorably to 2018, but I think it’s below average either way. Probably only one top ten guy with Byram. A couple could go in the 11-20 range, but that’s still a huge discrepancy that we almost never see.

We also don't see this many elite centers or just forwards in general typically. There's no standout defenseman, but I think there will be a few sleepers in this years draft.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
Just shows that the talent factory Brynäs is still going strong!

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I read your previous post as the top defensemen from the past 2 drafts (2017 and 2018) combined with 2019

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

I got waaay more time for Bjornfot, Kokkonen & Broberg (seen 2 of 3 last week, gonna see Broberg tonight) than Söderstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad