RD Topi Niemelä - Kärpät, Liiga (2020, 64th, TOR)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Niemelä has more talent and potential than any other Leafs D right now. There, I said it. Question is if they can help him to develop and giving him some confidence and so on. And being healthy of course.

But if they handle him like the Jets handled Heinola? Then try to recognize and understand that a prospect can't do it all by himself. Sometimes they need the opportunity and some time.
this exacyly

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's still not a large defense. I bet the Avs are still winning the cup with Girard in.

Niemela is still developing. By the time he's ready to make the jump to the Leafs (could be as soon as next year), I expect he'll be closer to 190lbs.
It's actually pretty large let's break it down

Girard 5' 10" 170 lbs only played in first 7 games
Makar 5' 11" 187 lbs
Bryam 6'1" 190
Toews 6' 1" 191lbs
JJ 6' 1" 217 lbs
Manson 6'3" 220
Eric Johnson 6'4" 225

I had a typo up thread as I wouldn't trade Niemela if I were the Leafs because of their team situation and lack of Dman prospects but they need to draft and develop some top guys like Niemela really quickly here and fill in the gap with Ontario veterans that might come at a discount.

I also would trade one of their top forwards or forward prospects to get a guy like Faber which Minny did although guys like Faber rarely come up.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
It's actually pretty large let's break it down

Girard 5' 10" 170 lbs only played in first 7 games
Makar 5' 11" 187 lbs
Bryam 6'1" 190
Toews 6' 1" 191lbs
JJ 6' 1" 217 lbs
Manson 6'3" 220
Eric Johnson 6'4" 225

I had a typo up thread as I wouldn't trade Niemela if I were the Leafs because of their team situation and lack of Dman prospects but they need to draft and develop some top guys like Niemela really quickly here and fill in the gap with Ontario veterans that might come at a discount.

I also would trade one of their top forwards or forward prospects to get a guy like Faber which Minny did although guys like Faber rarely come up.
They definitely need to get more D in the system. We haven't had a lot of picks the last few years, so not many D picks selected. Niemela is the only guy with top 4 potential. Kokkonen seems like a safe bet to be 3rd pair and Koster and Villeneuve have decent potential to be 3rd pair but aren't quite in the conversation yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad