RD Topi Niemelä - Kärpät, Liiga (2020, 64th, TOR)

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
The question is how the f*** Finland lost to Sweden 1-7????
Right hand defensman with good amount of offensive upside. Good skater with with good hands and moves for defensman. Powerplay quarterback with big shot from the line. Solid defensivily and decent size aswell. Top Finns in my oppinion for 2020 draft
Topi Niemelä at eliteprospects.com

Some plays from U16 4-nations back from February

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He has looked fantastic with Kärpät's pro team in the couple of games he has played so far. His skating is suberb. With Ronkainen to start the season, he might end up staying with the pro team.

Haven't really seen him on the draft lists yet, could be a big riser.

Reactions: fr9dd9 and d rake

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Do the top 2020 Finnish defenders like Niemela, Puutio, etc compare favorably with the 2019 guys? Because Heinola and Thomson have hit the ground running and seem like early “steal” candidates for late 1st rounders.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Do the top 2020 Finnish defenders like Niemela, Puutio, etc compare favorably with the 2019 guys? Because Heinola and Thomson have hit the ground running and seem like early “steal” candidates for late 1st rounders.
I think the potential is pretty similar. But hard to say how their development continues. Thomson was in fact a bit behind them when the same age, but I would say that Heinola has been slightly ahead of them at the same age. But Thomson has been catching up with Heinola in development, although Heinola himself has been developing very well too.

I would say that each of these four are excellent defencemen prospects with even elite potential in the best scenario. But hard to say how their development will go in the long run. It’s anyway starting to look amazingly good for Finland even with defence, which was still quite a weakness for the Finnish national team in the recent past.

Reactions: BKarchitect

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Played nearly 18 minutes today, all on even strength. Seems to be getting more and more trust from the coaching staff.

Gotta love the confidence this kid has with the puck.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
So, can anyone tell me more about Niemelä? How has he been playing and any signs of development?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Finnish defenceman Topi Niemela has advanced quickly up the ranks, as the 17-year-old defenceman is playing for Karpat in the SM Liiga, Finland’s top men’s league. He’s been eased into the league, with limited minutes each night but still has one goal and six assists for seven points in 43 games this season. Niemela put up two points in four games in the Champions Hockey League. He also played one game in the Finnish junior league, picking up one assist. Last season, Niemela had one goal and six assists for seven points in the Finnish Jr. A league. He added four points in 11 playoff games. Niemela helped the Karpat U-20 team to the league title.

Niemela has also been part of Finland’s teams on the international stage, playing in the summer’s Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, scoring three assists in three games. He also played at last spring’s IIHF Under-18 World Championships with one goal in five games. Karpat was part of Finland’s silver-medal winning team at last year’s Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored an assist in six tournament games.

Our Full Report is here
Topi Niemela Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #48 - Last Word on Hockey

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He sounds like he's got all the tools to be a great defenceman, skating, offensive game, two way potential etc and he's not that short. Seeing as how the main knock on him is lack of muscle and that can easily be worked on, why isn't Niemela getting more hype?

Reactions: bebl and Richard88

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He sounds like he's got all the tools to be a great defenceman, skating, offensive game, two way potential etc and he's not that short. Seeing as how the main knock on him is lack of muscle and that can easily be worked on, why isn't Niemela getting more hype?

I look at him in much the same way as I look at Lundkvist, except that Lundkvist's skillset in his draft year is a bit more dynamic which lead to him getting nabbed a bit higher than I feel Niemela will. . If he develops 100% of the way, we're probably looking at a first-pairing defenseman in the NHL though some will say that it is unlikely to happen, and they would be right.

Anyways, the team that gets Niemela has the potential to look back on the day he was drafed a couple years later and feel extremely glad their franchise took him. He's simply one of the few players I really took a shine to during the year, alongside the underrated Seeleys, Akhtyamovs, Novaks, Heinemans of the world.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There are a lot of Dmen projected to go in the late 1st or second round that are great skaters and are bigger(Barron, Wallinder, Grans, Jurmo, etc). A lot of teams will want that size and reach over a player like Niemela or O'Rourke, unless they really are convinced about their game.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
There are a lot of Dmen projected to go in the late 1st or second round that are great skaters and are bigger(Barron, Wallinder, Grans, Jurmo, etc). A lot of teams will want that size and reach over a player like Niemela or O'Rourke, unless they really are convinced about their game.

Niemela's got higher hockey IQ than pretty much all of them, decent size and can skate . He has pretty high value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad