RD Tomas Lavoie - Coll. Esther Blondin Phénix (QMAAA) - Draft NHL 2024

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
The recruiters named him No. 1 QMJHL 2022 Draft ahead of Gabriel D'Aigle, Sasha Boivert and Justin Poirier.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
[MOD] he's a guy that wasn't even seen as a top 2 rounds guy for the Q draft at the start of the season. His progress has been out of this world.

His skating has improved by leaps and bounds, he's able to carry the puck with his reach and no one can stop him. Has a nice shot from the point and can run a PP. Still has a lot to learn defensively, but his rate of progress + his size and offensive ability make him that intriguing.

Would not have him as the best prospect in the Q draft, but he's up there for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dominance

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Was just named the top prospect for the 2022 QMJHL draft by CSR.

He possesses an uncanny level of mobility for a player his size, makes the game look easy at times. He has shown great progression this season and is a guy to keep an eye on going forward!

Reactions: Dominance

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
[MOD]

Never seen play. Worse statistics than Luneau at the same age.

A No. 1 QMJHL draft is quickly made common worldwide.

The 2023 QMJHL draft seems to be far more talented.

If he becomes a selected player in the 1st round of 2024, it will already be a good thing.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Very interesting that he was ranked #1 ahead of D’Aigle, who from reports I have heard is one of the better goalie prospects to come out of the QMJHL in years.
How does he stack up against a guy like Luneau who went 1st a couple years back?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
[MOD]

Never seen play. Worse statistics than Luneau at the same age.

A No. 1 QMJHL draft is quickly made common worldwide.

The 2023 QMJHL draft seems to be far more talented.

If he becomes a selected player in the 1st round of 2024, it will already be a good thing.

Luneau was a much more polished player all-around, much better positionally in the defensive zone.

That said, Lavoie has better puck rushing ability and is probably a bigger threat from the point in the offensive zone. He also can be more physical when he gets going.

Different players, Lavoie is more raw and will need significant work compared to Luneau, but he may have more long term upside, I don't know.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Looks like he’s going first overall to the Eagles, assuming he reports.

What’s the general consensus on this? Good pick? Stats are underwhelming. I haven’t found too much info about the Q draft this year.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Looks like he’s going first overall to the Eagles, assuming he reports.

What’s the general consensus on this? Good pick? Stats are underwhelming. I haven’t found too much info about the Q draft this year.
Scouts call him the next Noah Dobson, could be hyperbole but he's easily the most talented player available this year

Reactions: glxss

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Scouts call him the next Noah Dobson, could be hyperbole but he's easily the most talented player available this year

There is actually no consensus. Most people I know have Poirier or D'Aigle first overall, but others could have Shields or Boisvert as well. Lavoie was not ranked very high in the first half of the season, he has progressed a lot.

It's a good pick, he is likely the best defenseman available and his rate of progress makes a lot of scouts salivate when thinking about what he could become. My stylistic comparison is actually Brent Burns in terms of how he plays the game. He could also be a Xavier Bouchard type of guy (previous high pick 2000 born in the Q) and that would be a good player but you're probably banking on his rate of progress staying high to have him first on your list at this point.

I think it's a very fair first overall pick this year but ''easily the most talented player available this year'' is like saying David Jiricek is easily the most talented player available this year. Could be true, could be false. No clear cut top guy in this draft.

EDIT: I fully expect him to be picked first overall tonight by Cape Breton.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
There is actually no consensus. Most people I know have Poirier or D'Aigle first overall, but others could have Shields or Boisvert as well. Lavoie was not ranked very high in the first half of the season, he has progressed a lot.

It's a good pick, he is likely the best defenseman available and his rate of progress makes a lot of scouts salivate when thinking about what he could become. My stylistic comparison is actually Brent Burns in terms of how he plays the game. He could also be a Xavier Bouchard type of guy (previous high pick 2000 born in the Q) and that would be a good player but you're probably banking on his rate of progress staying high to have him first on your list at this point.

I think it's a very fair first overall pick this year but ''easily the most talented player available this year'' is like saying David Jiricek is easily the most talented player available this year. Could be true, could be false. No clear cut top guy in this draft.

EDIT: I fully expect him to be picked first overall tonight by Cape Breton.

I have literally never seen Jiricek ranked 1st, I have seen Lavoie 1st on most lists. I understand what you're saying, hes not a "no brainer" #1, but he is definitely ranked higher in regards to his peers in this draft than Jiricek is, and by a lot.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I have literally never seen Jiricek ranked 1st, I have seen Lavoie 1st on most lists. I understand what you're saying, hes not a "no brainer" #1, but he is definitely ranked higher in regards to his peers in this draft than Jiricek is, and by a lot.
Agree that he is ranked higher than Jiricek, just wanted to use a d-man but there was none that was perfect for the comparison. My point still remains the same. Lavoie has a good set of pro tools and will be a good Q player. He is a top 5 guy in this draft class and the top guys are all different but of a similar caliber. It's a matter of taste and need at that point and Lavoie is a good pick at 1.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Agree that he is ranked higher than Jiricek, just wanted to use a d-man but there was none that was perfect for the comparison. My point still remains the same. Lavoie has a good set of pro tools and will be a good Q player. He is a top 5 guy in this draft class and the top guys are all different but of a similar caliber. It's a matter of taste and need at that point and Lavoie is a good pick at 1.

Based on who I have spoken to and what I have read, Lavoie is the top player available, not really much question about it. There are lots of good players available, but Lavoie is the most highly regarded in the class. I would say the gap between he and the field is larger than any prospect in the 2022 NHL draft.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Based on who I have spoken to and what I have read, Lavoie is the top player available, not really much question about it. There are lots of good players available, but Lavoie is the most highly regarded in the class. I would say the gap between he and the field is larger than any prospect in the 2022 NHL draft.
I won't get into a big argument on this but I've got friends scouting in 4-5 different teams and none of them actually have Lavoie at 1. D'Aigle seems to be the consensus top prospect but they would not pick him at first because he's a goalie. I also do scout for a couple of organizations in Quebec and would agree with them on that.

At the end of the day, none of this matters. Lavoie will go first, Boisvert is trying to get himself a deal and D'Aigle will be an elite goalie the moment he steps on the ice for a Q team. Poirier will likely be the most impactful player in the Q, might pot 50 at 17 or 18, but is probably the less impressive pro prospect of the bunch. That's how I see it.

If I had to compare him to the 04s which are draft eligible. He is better than Warren and Lamoureux comfortably at the same age, but not as good as Luneau.

I think that bodes well for his NHL draft prospects.

For the QMJHL, the question becomes... Is Jordan Dumais a better pick for Junior, or is Warren a better pick for Junior ? One was #5D on his team in ice time this year and the other scored 110 points. The right pick for junior is Dumais, but if you're looking at it from a pro perspective, Warren might be the top player between the two. Don't know if that makes sense.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
There it is - worst kept secret in the QMJHL. Property of Cape Breton
1656977864150.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TimeZone

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My early take is that he looks safe. Good size, pretty good defensively, can skate, enough ability with the puck. Not sure there's high upside. Maybe a second round pick is my early thought for a draft range.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
10 points in 27 games clearly isn’t living up to his draft status as a #1 overall selection. Cape Breton is probably just the worst run franchise in the league, though.
Draft status, nor his statline as a 17 year old, mean very, very little in evaluating a smart, smooth skating behemoth of a player. Teams aren't going to be looking at his points and deciding he isn't living up what they think he can be.

He projects as a very big, rangy D who can play lots of minutes and push the puck up the ice, he's not going to be a guy teams expect to put up gaudy numbers

He's having a season just like Noah Warren, another high QMJHL pick, who was valued around the league for more than his numbers.

Without a doubt, being on by far the worst offensive team in the CHL with 2.4 goals per game also plays into his numbers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad