RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) Part 5

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Kid looked legit in first game this season. Hope he gets more of a shake the remainder of the regular season. I don't think there is a place for him on the play off roster barring a couple of injuries, but he looks ready to be an NHL regular starting next season.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Would you say hes more offensively geared or more defensively geared?

Chabot-JBD

Sanderson-Liljegren

Kleven-Brannstrom

Would be interested for the sens if we can get him

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019

Chabot-JBD

Sanderson-Liljegren

Kleven-Brannstrom
Definitely offensively geared. Which is why he hasn't looked great with the big team, there's already enough offense being provided elsewhere on the blueline. He rounded out his defensive game in the ahl but he's always been on the offensive side of the spectrum

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Idk I think his core talent has always been puck moving and transition. I guess that could be classified as both offense and defense?

That was certainly his draft profile, but he's really had to transform his defensive game, like you said. I noticed he was always covering the blue line last game, playing a bit more stay-at-home, and was really effective breaking things up in the neutral zone. I'm also familiar with a lot of comparisons of him and Sandin from fans that watch the Marlies regularly that Liljegren is more proficient defensively and Sandin more offensively.

It's really sounded like his game has changed since draft day, presumably because his offence wasn't translating so well to the North American game.

But happy to defer to anyone that's seen more of him on the Marlies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Idk I think his core talent has always been puck moving and transition. I guess that could be classified as both offense and defense?

Not sure how well his offensive "numbers" will translate to the NHL level. He's certainly fantastic in transition, but I think long term he'll be stuck behind Sandin and for now, Rielly in terms of offensive opportunities.

Good problems to have. He's certainly stepped up his defensive game, which is a huge plus. Hopefully his offensive game comes along with more NHL experience. I think it will.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I don't quite understand why he's behind Sandin on the depth chart, I wish the Leafs would go ahead and trade him because he's already the 5th best defenseman that the Leafs have. He's an excellent skater, great in transition and zone exits, solid defensively and has pretty good offensive skill as well. He's far better than Sandin in his own end, a better skater and more physically mature, but for some reason, not unlike Nylander, he's sort of a whipping boy around there.

Reactions: Ulysses31

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don't quite understand why he's behind Sandin on the depth chart, I wish the Leafs would go ahead and trade him because he's already the 5th best defenseman that the Leafs have. He's an excellent skater, great in transition and zone exits, solid defensively and has pretty good offensive skill as well. He's far better than Sandin in his own end, a better skater and more physically mature, but for some reason, not unlike Nylander, he's sort of a whipping boy around there.

Lil gets underrated for sure . But Sandin is very quick at processing and has better offensive instincts. Hes also not shy physically at all. Liljegren is more of a 2 way guy than future producer imo. I also have to disagree with the poster above that said he played well last game . He got better as it went on but I found him struggling to make clean plays , especially in the first 2 periods. Skating and breakout passes are there .

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Impressive season debut. Looks noticeably better and more physical than his last NHL stint in '19-'20. Injured Motte with a hit at the blueline, looked unbeatable in transition, and made a big block on Hamonic late. His stretch pass is something else.
  • 15:25 TOI
  • 3 hits
  • 1 blocked shot
  • 64.29 CF%
  • 72.58 xGF%
  • 68.75 SCF%
  • 83.33 HDCF%
As per management, he wasn't playing in games because the Leafs did not have cap space pre-TDL. Sandin & Amirov had forgone signing bonuses on their ELCs, whereas Liljegren did not, so it costs TOR more to dress Liljegren than it does Sandin.

Reactions: stickty111

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Liljegren was a rock defensively against the Canucks the other night.

Forgot about this guy. Is he going to cement himself as an NHL regular?

He would have been a regular on any non-contending team since the start of this season. Has been dominant in the AHL since December 2019.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
It's kind of funny looking back at how much Button got shit on for saying he would turn out to be more of a two-way guy that plays solid D and not an offensive dynamo. I believe he specifically said that he doesn't have the IQ in the offensive zone to ever really be a big time point scorer. He was bang on. Turning into more of a realiable puck mover guy.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It's kind of funny looking back at how much Button got shit on for saying he would turn out to be more of a two-way guy that plays solid D and not an offensive dynamo. I believe he specifically said that he doesn't have the IQ in the offensive zone to ever really be a big time point scorer. He was bang on. Turning into more of a realiable puck mover guy.

Button says a lot of shit. He also said Brannstrom would be a top pairing D.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Finally getting a run of games and looking really impressive.

Been paired with Sandin and the two of them have been arguably the Leafs best pairing during the recent 4 game winning streak.

Looks like he finally might be sticking in the NHL.
Probably the first legit opportunity he’s been given. Him and Sandin do look great.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Really like his agility and skating ability. Able to deliver passes quickly. Looks calm out there and no real signs of the decision making issues that have been questioned before, IMO.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

Chabot-JBD

Sanderson-Liljegren

Kleven-Brannstrom

Would be interested for the sens if we can get him

Lassi Thomson is a pretty direct comparable. No need for the Senators to trade for a similar player.

Reactions: NHL Dude 120

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Liljegren has looked solid so far. He's come a long way. Glad management was more patient with him than a sector of the fans were.

Holls Blackmail

“We’re not…how you say….pu*** boys here”
Oct 9, 2021
His defensive positioning and gap control is fantastic. A very smart player.

Does he make the occasional mistake? Sure. Every player does. The most remarkable attribute is he’s able to recover from his mistakes and negate most chances. He’s not being bailed out by others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad