RD Stephen Johns (2011, 60th, CHI; traded to DAL)

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
What can anyone tell me about this kid? Drafted by Hawks at #60.

Stephen Johns was on NHL scouts' radars even as a top 40 early as January, two years ago, but then the hype somewhat faded down the stretch...see B-Mac's Jan 2010 List: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=15660

Also, this...

Johns' skating and lateral quickness is piss poor, TBH.

from a McIlrath comparison thread, which in itself tells you a lot about Johns.

Defense
Born Apr 18 1992 -- Wampum, PA
Height 6.04 -- Weight 221 -- Shoots R

images

2010-11 Notre Dame CCHA 44 GP 2+11=13 98 PIM

images

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
What the heck kind of thread is this??? Yes, Stephen Johns was drafted by Chicago at #60, but it was last year, not yesterday.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I know. I was going through some of the prior drafts and stumbled upon this guy. Figured it'd be a good place to ask.

:)

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
In celebration of random thought

If you opened a book, put your finger down on a page, found the nearest verb to the tip of your finger and performed that action, it would be random. Discussing a hockey prospect in a thread bearing that prospect's name on a board dedicated to discussing hockey isn't.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
If you opened a book, put your finger down on a page, found the nearest verb to the tip of your finger and performed that action, it would be random. Discussing a hockey prospect in a thread bearing that prospect's name on a board dedicated to discussing hockey isn't.

It truly is one of the most misused words.

I'm guilty of it for sure, though haha

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I think his skating has improved based on what I've seen of him at the AHL level. "Piss poor" is no longer the adjective I would use at least. In fact, for his size and girth, I'd say it's pretty good actually. Maybe still in the "average" range, but certainly not enough to be prohibitive I would say...

I posted some more in the Stars board thread on this, I'm not sure that anyone else is that interested...

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I think his skating has improved based on what I've seen of him at the AHL level. "Piss poor" is no longer the adjective I would use at least. In fact, for his size and girth, I'd say it's pretty good actually. Maybe still in the "average" range, but certainly not enough to be prohibitive I would say...

I posted some more in the Stars board thread on this, I'm not sure that anyone else is that interested...

That post was nearly 4 years ago and you are correct Johns' skating is no longer as issue. Considering the quality of the Stars defense, I expect he will see some NHL time soon.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
A rookie that led the AHL in plus-minus and only got better as the year progressed. He even showed some offensive prowess in the playoffs this year.

As a Hawks fan I'm very disappointed we traded away our top defensive prospect as a throw in on the Sharp trade.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Stars fans, didn't see a thread on your board but could you guys (or other fans) tell me how Johns has been this season? I saw him not too long ago and I liked his game, especially his stick work, and skated well. Strong and physical player but seemed to get a little soft in front of the net. Just from my one viewing of him this year though.

Where does he fit in for the future on the Stars blueline?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad