RD Simon Motew - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2021 Draft)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
One of many OHL sleepers in this year's draft. Simon Motew played in the USPHL this year due to the cancellation of the OHL season. The only NHLer to be drafted directly out of the USPHL is John Marino, who was drafted in the 5th round after putting up 28 points in 49 games. Simon Motew recorded 45 points in 21 games this year, as well as 8 goals and 16 points in 5 playoff games. He was also among the most impressive draft eligibles in the PBHH showcase last month.

Smooth skater, intelligent passer, and his hands were unfair at the level he played at this year. Defensive game needs work.

This is a player that likely would have garnered a lot more talk had there been an OHL season. I expect a big year from him back with Kitchener in 2021-22. I'd target Motew as early as the 3rd round but I expect he'll go well after that.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
He was mixed at PBHH. Clearly had a desire to show scouts the offence side of his game, but he regularly took on too much, trying to do it all on his own. Led to a lot of bad turnovers in the O-zone.

Lots of skill - particularly hands and skating. Decision making / IQ need some work.

Good value in the 4th or 5th.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
He was mixed at PBHH. Clearly had a desire to show scouts the offence side of his game, but he regularly took on too much, trying to do it all on his own. Led to a lot of bad turnovers in the O-zone.

Lots of skill - particularly hands and skating. Decision making / IQ need some work.

Good value in the 4th or 5th.
Yep. Was likely a matter of adjusting from the USPHL as well, as he was often able to beat all 5 opposing skaters and go coast-to-coast which obviously doesn't work at this level.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I thought he was a really interesting guy, was suprised to see him left completely out of the Black Book

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
1 goal, 3 asssists today in an OHL preseason game against Barrie. It will be interesting to see how his game has progressed after a season in the USPHL.

Motew was by far my top-ranked player who went undrafted last year and I'd be surprised if he's passed on again in 2022.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Left out of the black book and went undrafted...wonder what the story was?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I live in Kitchener and watch the Rangers a lot. Motew was passed over in the draft because he was caught in a numbers game. In his only OHL season the Rangers had an amazing defence core. You could see the talent was there though.

Sebrengo, Vukojevic and Xhekaj were all returning players who are all over six feet and 200 pounds. Sebrengo and Vukojevic were both NHL third round picks. They brought two European import defencemen over in Bergkvist (seventh round NHL pick) and Ottavainen (fourth round pick). McPherson was returning for his fourth OHL season and that was the top six. Then come the trade deadline and the Rangers traded for Wale who was in his fourth OHL season.

Motew you could tell was skilled but only got into 34 games registering one goal and 10 assists. It’s not enough for a NHL team to draft him.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I live in Kitchener and watch the Rangers a lot. Motew was passed over in the draft because he was caught in a numbers game. In his only OHL season the Rangers had an amazing defence core. You could see the talent was there though.

Sebrengo, Vukojevic and Xhekaj were all returning players who are all over six feet and 200 pounds. Sebrengo and Vukojevic were both NHL third round picks. They brought two European import defencemen over in Bergkvist (seventh round NHL pick) and Ottavainen (fourth round pick). McPherson was returning for his fourth OHL season and that was the top six. Then come the trade deadline and the Rangers traded for Wale who was in his fourth OHL season.

Motew you could tell was skilled but only got into 34 games registering one goal and 10 assists. It’s not enough for a NHL team to draft him.
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad