RD Seamus Casey - Univ. of Michigan (2022, 46th, NJD)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Casey is waaay better than Smith ever was.
That explains why he was chosen a full round lower. Or are the decisions of NHL front offices again no longer relevant to assessing a prospect, after a brief hiatus for Wright’s fall to Seattle?

Anyways, Devils d-corps looks like it could be pretty nasty in a few years. Will we see the first-ever four-defenseman PP unit?

Hamilton-Nemec-Hughes-Casey
Hughes

:sarcasm:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What a tremendous, tremendous pick at 46. Kid is going to be a star in this league.

Devils got 2 of my 3 highest rated dmen in this draft.
Did you have Nemec or Jiricek rated higher ?
Im not sure who I would have preferred on the Devils . I’m a sucker for size and love Jiriceks shot / physical play better but his skating is ? and is his injury worrisome ?
Is it safe to say Nemec has a higher floor but lower ceiling than Jiricek ?

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Casey is waaay better than Smith ever was.
To be fair, Smith won CHL defender of the year in his draft +1 and was on another level beyond that after the WJC in his draft +2. He seemed like a very strong prospect at the time. He looked like he had something as an NHL rookie before completely regressing this season. I think you have to compare Casey to Smith in his draft year as opposed to looking at him now. I'll defer to your view of Casey and hope for the best.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That explains why he was chosen a full round lower. Or are the decisions of NHL front offices again no longer relevant to assessing a prospect, after a brief hiatus for Wright’s fall to Seattle?

Anyways, Devils d-corps looks like it could be pretty nasty in a few years. Will we see the first-ever four-defenseman PP unit?

Hamilton-Nemec-Hughes-Casey
Hughes

:sarcasm:

I make my own prospect assessments...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
To be fair, Smith won CHL defender of the year in his draft +1 and was on another level beyond that after the WJC in his draft +2. He seemed like a very strong prospect at the time. He looked like he had something as an NHL rookie before completely regressing this season. I think you have to compare Casey to Smith in his draft year as opposed to looking at him now. I'll defer to your view of Casey and hope for the best.
I've always liked Smith, and think he's still gotten underrated. He was the better offensive player, but Casey is on another level in terms of all around play. His skating is incredibly dynamic.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I've always liked Smith, and think he's still gotten underrated. He was the better offensive player, but Casey is on another level in terms of all around play. His skating is incredibly dynamic.

The good news for NJ is that as a second round pick he can percolate in college for three years and the team can see where he is at that point. I expect he will practice hard and up his game.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Did you have Nemec or Jiricek rated higher ?
Im not sure who I would have preferred on the Devils . I’m a sucker for size and love Jiriceks shot / physical play better but his skating is ? and is his injury worrisome ?
Is it safe to say Nemec has a higher floor but lower ceiling than Jiricek ?
Jiricek, but I do think Nemec has the higher floor.

Casey has a higher ceiling than both IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: HBK27

Brent Burns Beard