RD Seamus Casey - Univ. of Michigan (2022, 46th, NJD)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's talked about as a dynamic offensive defensemen who can also defend. He had over double the amount of goals last season as assists. If you look at the highlights, you'll see why. Against the competition he faces, he's able to walk right around players on the other team and go right to the net. Good size, as well, for a kid his age.

Seamus Casey at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilsfan118

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Having seen this guy play now, his puck moving and hockey IQ are incredibly good to go along with good skating and defense. His patience with the puck is elite. I'm not yet sure about how dynamic his offensive game is. I just haven't seen enough to say, but what I saw today looked like what you see from Victor Soderstrom. He was misused by the coaching staff, so a better evaluation on his offense will come another time, but he looks extremely good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
To bump this thread, I think this guy is pretty good and will be a high pick next year.

He’s still the same player from what I described last year. I don’t see much different. The only thing I’ll add is that he has some of the best pivots you’ll see from a defensemen. He looks like a figure skater at times with how well he can spin out of pressure and make plays all in the same motion.

I would still compare his projection to someone like Victor Soderstrom, but I think Casey is probably a little better. I think it’s going to be a similar draft range to Soderstrom, but the 2022 draft is a little better.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
'.....he's able to walk right around players on the other team and go right to the net. Good size,....'
Sept 2019

At 14 and 15 the very best of the early Jan birthdays really stand out from peers. That age /size advantage dissipates each year as they age up. Clearly a good player though...we'll see he he develops these next couple of years

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
He has potential. Skating and stick handling is elite. However at this point, I don't think his lack of defense makes up for his offense. He's high middle in points on team and has worst - And he isn't out there on kills or against top lines. He isn't even on 1st PP. If he doesn't shore up that part of his game, I see low first round at this point.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He has a ton of individual skill, but he doesnt play "hockey" right now if that makes sense.... lol.....

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has potential. Skating and stick handling is elite. However at this point, I don't think his lack of defense makes up for his offense. He's high middle in points on team and has worst - And he isn't out there on kills or against top lines. He isn't even on 1st PP. If he doesn't shore up that part of his game, I see low first round at this point.

+/- is a mostly worthless stat.

He doesn't PK because he's the other 4 RHD are all bigger than him and its a very solid defensive group from a defending standpoint. I really don't see Casey as a bad defensive player. Can he be overpowered? Sure, but I don't see big errors with regularity. I actually think he's a quality defender because of how hard he is to forecheck. A bigger, stronger, faster player will throw it in behind him, and he'll make a good decision to relieve pressure.

And I've started to not make much of the PP units they use at the NTDP. Look how poorly they are mismanaging them with the U18's. I think the units are more for development purposes than anything with winning being secondary. And who on that defense is a better PPQB than Casey? I'm not sure there is one. PP units if I was running it would be Casey, Chesley, McGroarty, Nazar, Gauthier as unit 1, Hutson, Kaplan, Fleming, Howard, Cooley/Stramel as unit 2.

GretzkytoLemieux

May 12, 2016
How has he looked this far? Clearly very skillful at many aspects and in the Powerplay? What are his characteristics and why is Chelsey rated ahead on most early boards? Is it just a size issue?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven’t been as impressed this season so far as last season. I think the defensive concerns are overblown, but the sense/skill looked a tier lower than what I thought it was previously. Still an incredibly good skater.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this guy is the toughest evaluation on the current NTDP 18's.

I just don't think the level of play at any point has matched the draft positioning many of us give him. I also don't think the role he plays is as important as we attach it. He really doesn't take over shifts or play such an important role.

But I like how he projects. His skating is so fun to watch. The lightest skater on his feet in this draft. His change of direction is so effortless. He also puts up points. And while it looks like he shouldn't be a good defensive player, I don't think he's bad defensively. Thats never been a huge concern I've had.

I guess if he's like a 5'10 guy that isn't ultra physical or competitive, he may struggle to defend well in the NHL. It may also be a good idea to question how high-end his offense in the NHL will be. I think his offensive reputation going back a few years exceeds his actual offensive ability.

I think it could go either way. Wouldn't surprise me if he's a top pairing guy and wouldn't surprise me if he busts. Really tough evaluation.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
One of the top defencemen in the United States National Team Development Program this year, Seamus Casey played big minutes for the Under-18 team. He scored 10 goals and 23 assists for 33 points in 48 games in the USHL and against various college teams. He also played a big role for Team USA at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Casey put up three goals and six points in six games. He helped the American squad to a silver medal.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I see him dropping significantly due to his size. At 5’9 you better be putting up significant offensive numbers in junior to get serious attention as a dman. Eay too much downside risk of a small dman in thr nhl.

Reactions: JohnJim

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I see him dropping significantly due to his size. At 5’9 you better be putting up significant offensive numbers in junior to get serious attention as a dman. Eay too much downside risk of a small dman in thr nhl.

Him barely measuring taller than Hutson and not being nearly as good offensively, that certainly hurts his stock.

Reactions: JohnJim

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I’m happy with it. He’ll be the smallest D man we have but he’ll be surrounded by big guys.

I was hoping we’d use our 2nd to draft an rhd and we got one. Was looking at Warren but knew he’d be gone when we traded #37 away for Vanaceck.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Great value. Casey has some warts, and he needs to do better turning his considerable skill into offense, but his issue is consistency not skill. His skill is being underrated.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Can he play defense in the bigger faster NHL? He's a developmental prospect but he's more or less like the forward prospect where the conventional wisdom says he's either a top six player or he isn't a good choice to play in a traditional bottom six role. Can Casey be a bottom pair defender if he's soft and his offense is only ok?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Can he play defense in the bigger faster NHL? He's a developmental prospect but he's more or less like the forward prospect where the conventional wisdom says he's either a top six player or he isn't a good choice to play in a traditional bottom six role. Can Casey be a bottom pair defender if he's soft and his offense is only ok?

He's an elite skater and he's not soft

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hopefully he pans out. As a NJ fan I've watched Ty Smith struggle to translate to the NHL and some of it seems systemic for the smaller defender. It's tough for those players.

By no means is Casey a lock but he makes Smith look like he's wearing cement for socks. Casey is also more skilled than Smith. The big question mark for Casey is can he put it together consistently. He makes plays offensively that have your mouth agape but his success rate is too low. He's also only started singularly playing defense when he joined the NTDP. He was a defenseman before that but he also played forward at the same time.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
By no means is Casey a lock but he makes Smith look like he's wearing cement for socks. Casey is also more skilled than Smith. The big question mark for Casey is can he put it together consistently. He makes plays offensively that have your mouth agape. He's also only started singularly playing defense when he joined the NTDP. He was a defenseman before that but he also played forward at the same time.
He sounds like an excellent long term development prospect. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
By no means is Casey a lock but he makes Smith look like he's wearing cement for socks. Casey is also more skilled than Smith. The big question mark for Casey is can he put it together consistently. He makes plays offensively that have your mouth agape. He's also only started singularly playing defense when he joined the NTDP. He was a defenseman before that but he also played forward at the same time.

In fairness to Smith, he’s the one that makes it look like he’s wearing cement socks

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it's very hard to have a firm opinion on what he'll be. I can see how he ends up very good and I can see how he doesn't. Good value where he was taken though.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad