RD Sam Rinzel - Univ of Minnesota , NCAA (2022, 25th, CHI)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Of course it would "be a risky bet", but that's the very essence of scouting and projecting 17 year old players at 22, in the best of circumstances.
But it is riskier with a player like Rinzel, as opposed to players who have played at higher levels for long periods of time. I was pretty clear on that in my post.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ryan McDonagh played in the same league and was draft top 15
Cale Makar was playing in Junior A league and was selected in the top 5

When you think a player can be dominant, you take him whatever the league he plays
McDonagh played when MNHS hockey was much stronger.

Makar was a #4 pick, and was on a completely different level of talent.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is it inherently weaker or weaker because players are leaving for USHL, NTDP?
USHL, for sure. Sometimes the CHL, or a league like the BCHL. The USNDP has always taken a few players, but I don't know if they are taking more than usual.

The privates like Shattuck will take a few, too, but that has always been the case.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sam Rinzel bounced around a bit during his draft season. He started the year playing for Team USA in the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. Rinzel was held off the scoresheet in four tournament games. Drafted in the second round, #18 overall, by the Waterloo Black Hawks in the 2021 USHL Draft, Sam Rinzel had an excellent rookie season. The defenceman had two goals and eight assists for 10 points in 21 regular-season games. Unfortunately, he was kept scoreless in six playoff games.

Rinzel also played for Chaska High School, playing high school hockey in Minnesota. He scored nine goals and 29 assists for 38 points in 27 games. He also played for Team SIT Financial Services in the UMHSEHL. Rinzel scored four goals and 12 assists for 16 points in 18 regular-season games. He added three assists in three playoff games. Rinzel also played on the MNHP circuit. He put up two goals and three assists for five points in six games.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I don’t see the risk side of it. At that size with his skating, ability to handle the puck, and willingness to stick his nose in he’s going to play in the NHL.

The question will end up being how far all of his tools develop and mesh together. Taking the slow approach is the way to go here.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see the risk side of it. At that size with his skating, ability to handle the puck, and willingness to stick his nose in he’s going to play in the NHL.

The question will end up being how far all of his tools develop and mesh together. Taking the slow approach is the way to go here.
The risk is the defensive awareness, and while he hands the puck better than most 6'4 defensemen he may never produce any offense.

There's risk to the pick. He could be very good or might not be an NHL'er.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Watched him play over the weekend. It’s obvious why he was a 1st round pick. He has NHL size, a powerful shot from the point, is pretty good with the puck and skates well for a big guy. That point shot he has is definitely a weapon. He had a beautiful assist on a great wrist shot from the point but I think he’ll project to be more of a defensive player for sure.

Definitely a raw player though. He has a physical edge to him, but I’d love to see him engage a little more than what I saw. I like his upside as a guy who could be a top 6 D. Who knows, if he is able to improve his offensive prowess and overall processing speed in the offensive zone, maybe he could be a #4 type guy.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nine assists in 14 games as a freshman for the Gophers.

Given the lack of size on the USA blue line last year, is it safe to assume Rinzel will garner a spot on this year's team?
Yes, he'll likely be on the team. Only locks on the defense are the 3 returnees (Hutson, Chesley, Casey).

After them, Rinzel has as good of a chance as anyone.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kid is playing well and now has goal + 13 assists in 20 games and leads all Gopher defenders in points

As a Hawk fan its very nice looking at D pipeline right now which is filled with young defenders at every level

Vlasic (NHL)
Korchinski (NHL)
Phillips (NHL)
Crevier (NHL)
Kaiser (AHL) (Its dumb he is in AHL while crap like Tinordi plays on Hawks)
Del Mastro (AHL)
Allan (AHL)
Rinzel (NCAA)
Harding (NCAA)
Kelley (NCAA)

All of them 22 yrs old and younger

Obviously they won't all work out but it's nice to see already some finding success at NHL level while others are on cusp (Del Mastro/Allan) and should get looks soon enough.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Easily the Gophers best defenseman this year. Hawks got a good one.
To be honest this doesn't say much as the D has been brutal. But for a freshman he looks good and at the end of his third year he might be ready to step right into the NHL full time

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
To be honest this doesn't say much as the D has been brutal. But for a freshman he looks good and at the end of his third year he might be ready to step right into the NHL full time
Yes, I think 3 years of college and then step into the NHL for some games following the Gophers season makes the most sense. This would have him sign towards the end of the 2025-26 season. This is enough cushion prior to when he'd be eligible to come off the Reserve List and become a UFA on August 15, 2027 (not that he should be too afraid of the Hawks depth chart). I suppose the Hawks could sign him after his Sophomore season if he is really itching to turn Pro to keep him happy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was shockingly bad at the World Juniors.

All these Minnesota fans told us how well he was playing this season, but he didn't look like he belonged.

We were told by them how bad Chesley was playing this season (along with Snuggerud and Moore supposedly), but he looked very good, was the top defensive player player on the Gold Medal winners, and the +/- in Gopher games didn't seem to match that view either.

Not accusing Gopher fans of not saying what they see, but I don't believe all the helium for Rinzel after the awful Juniors he had.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He was shockingly bad at the World Juniors.

All these Minnesota fans told us how well he was playing this season, but he didn't look like he belonged.

We were told by them how bad Chesley was playing this season (along with Snuggerud and Moore supposedly), but he looked very good, was the top defensive player player on the Gold Medal winners, and the +/- in Gopher games didn't seem to match that view either.

Not accusing Gopher fans of not saying what they see, but I don't believe all the helium for Rinzel after the awful Juniors he had.
The latter can happen without the former being false.

As far as I go, because I believe I did opine on it, I don't think I ever said that Chesley was playing "bad", just that I had thought Rinzel had been better.

Maybe Chesley being a returner vs. Rinzel being a 1st year guy mattered.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad