RD Saku Vesterinen - Kalpa, liiga (2017 Undrafted)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Can you tell me about him I'm a Islander season ticket holder.

Saku Vesterinen is a strong defensive player he has good vision and he makes smart passes.
And he has generally showed great development past season ( 2015-2016) while also playing for the Finnish U17 national team.
Vesterinen isn't top Finnish prospect for 2017 NHL draft and if i should predict where he goes in NHL draft i say somewhere late rounds ( 5-7).

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Probably the best QMJHL dman this year, well it's between him and P-O Joseph. I personally like him more than Joseph, his d-game is rock solid, very underrated prospect.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Probably the best QMJHL dman this year, well it's between him and P-O Joseph. I personally like him more than Joseph, his d-game is rock solid, very underrated prospect.

In no way is he better then Joseph.. Joseph is consistently playing against top players while Vesterainen is in and out of the lineup.

I like Vesterainen as a dman. But hes a 5th/6th round guy if drafted at all. And I watch every single islanders game.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
In no way is he better then Joseph.. Joseph is consistently playing against top players while Vesterainen is in and out of the lineup.

I like Vesterainen as a dman. But hes a 5th/6th round guy if drafted at all. And I watch every single islanders game.

42 games to 46 games and there's 2 mins of ES TOI between the 2, Joseph's d-game is nowhere close to Vesterainen's.

In any case i think Jospeh is pretty overrated, i agree that Vesterainen is most likely a 5th round pick but he's the better value pick between the 2.

If given the option of picking Joseph in 3rd (i dont have him in the 2nd round) or Vesterainen in the 5th i'd go with Vesterainen.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yeah he might get drafted but he doesn't really stand out, certainly doesn't impress more than Joseph.

I have him as about my 4th favourite draft eligible defenseman in the Q.

1. Joseph
2. Gawanke
3. Aucoin
4. Vesterinen
5. Noel/Chainey

If you're looking for a defenseman who's underrated out of the Q this year, it's Yan Aucoin.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Yeah he might get drafted but he doesn't really stand out, certainly doesn't impress more than Joseph.

I have him as about my 5 or 6 favourite draft eligible defenseman in the Q.

1. Joseph
2. Gawanke
3. Aucoin
4. Chainey
5. Noel/Vesterinen

If you're looking for a defenseman who's underrated out of the Q this year, it's Yan Aucoin.

mine is:

1 Pierre-Olivier Joseph
2 Saku Vesterinen
3 Zachary Lauzon
4 Leon Gawanke (needs to work on dgame tho, high offensive potential)
5 Yan Aucoin
6 Mathieu Charlebois

That being said Joseph usually isnt around where i have him slated to go in mock drafts (overvalued prospect imo), pretty weak draft for the Q in general.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yeah I forgot to put Lauzon there, he's definitely in competition for that third/fourth spot for me. Definitely a weaker Q defenseman crop. Looks better next year with McIsaac, Dobson, Bouchard, et al.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Never heard of this kid.

Any chance he will make the U18 national team this year?

Charlottetown is 4th in QMJHL and only a few points away from the #1 place. Seems unlikely they would be eliminated before the U18's.

He is a lock if he is available though.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
mine is:

1 Pierre-Olivier Joseph
2 Saku Vesterinen
3 Zachary Lauzon
4 Leon Gawanke (needs to work on dgame tho, high offensive potential)
5 Yan Aucoin
6 Mathieu Charlebois

That being said Joseph usually isnt around where i have him slated to go in mock drafts (overvalued prospect imo), pretty weak draft for the Q in general.

You are both missing the 2nd best Q Dman in the draft Antoine Crete-Belzile

My Top 5 is:

Joseph
Crete-Belzile
Lauzon
Chainey
Vesterainen

VERY Weak Q D draft..

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Not a fan of Belzile, i can see an argument being made for Lauzon at 2 tho. He plays the hardest minutes out of all those guys and he exceeds defensively. His o-game upside isnt very high tho.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Since everyone is putting their lists out their and telling each other theirs is wrong, Ill throw the right list out there ;)

1. Joseph
2. Chainey
3. Lauzon
4. Vesterainen
5. Crete-Belzile

I like what I have seen from Vesterainen. Solid defensive mid round pick. But I dont think he has the upside to be on the same level as a guy like Joseph.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Joseph is a late 3rd for me, Lauzon midd 4th. Vesterinen 5th, Gawanke 6th or 7th, wouldnt waste a pick on anyone else.

After Hischier, there arent many good forwards either, i have 3-4 decent forwards after him, im not even very high on Comtois anymore.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Joseph is a late 3rd for me, Lauzon midd 4th. Vesterinen 5th, Gawanke 6th or 7th, wouldnt waste a pick on anyone else.

After Hischier, there arent many good forwards either, i have 3-4 decent forwards after him, im not even very high on Comtois anymore.

Id be shocked if Joseph fell to the late 2nd. The guys stock is continually rising right now. Hes a big 2 way defender, smart, doesnt make many mistakes and can be the heart and soul of a team (as we are seeing in Charlottetown).
Now I dont think the offense will be high at the next level, but i think his ceiling is like a Hjalmarsson in Chicago, which is nothing to scoff at.
This guy will be the best Dman in the Q, as soon as next season (possibly) but more likely the year after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad