RD Ryan Ufko - University of Massachusetts, NCAA (2021, 115th, NSH)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
5 foot 10, 182 pounds from Smithtown, NY
Shoots: right
2021 Draft eligible

2018-2019 season:

North Jersey Avalanche 16U, AYHL - 4+20=24 (1.09 ppg)
North Jersey Avalanche U16, T1EHL - 2+22=24 (0.96 ppg)

plays for the Chicago Steel in the USHL next season
also in the NCAA (22-23)

I don't know anything about him, does anyone know more of him, anyone seen him play?.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
he's looked sharp from what I've seen, the points will come especially in second half and next year.

He was elevated to a bigger role later in the year. I saw a few games where he was playing on a pair with Power having replaced the role of Luke Reid, a similar style player whose a draft ahead of him. I heard you mention him on your podcast in your interview with the Chicago GM. The GM was very complimentary of Ufko.

I don’t know how high his draft potential is, considering he’s 5’9 and his skating speed is only average, but he’s a really good hockey player. He should be playing in a bigger role next season with Chicago. If we have a Hlinka Gretzky tournament this year, he seems like a prime candidate for that team. I’d preliminarily tab him as a 2nd/3rd round prospect, but I suspect NHL teams will tab him as 4th/5th due to his size and skating.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Strange how little is Ryan Ufko getting the chatter.
He is having a great season in the USHL.

Leads the USHL in D goals (4), assists (9), points (13), is 2nd in ppg (1.18). - as a 17 year old
- 5th in USHL assists
- 7th in USHL points

U18 players in the USHL : 1st in assists, 1st in points, if you exclude the USNTDP players
who have played only 3 games, then 1st in ppg as well and 2nd in goals

1. RD - Ryan Ufko 13 points - Chicago Steel
2. LD - Jack Pearth 9 points - Fargo Force
3. RW - Connor Kurth 8 points - Dubuque Fighting Saints
4. RW - Jackson Blake 7 points - Chicago Steel
5. C - Ryan Greene 6 points - Green bay Gamblers

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven’t loved his play so far this season. Last season he was more sheltered. This year he’s playing all situations 1D, and his defense hasn’t been as good as I would’ve expected. I don’t expect him to be a great defensive player, but he’s looked a lot weaker defensively this season in a bigger role than he looked last season in a sheltered role.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I haven’t loved his play so far this season. Last season he was more sheltered. This year he’s playing all situations, and his defense hasn’t been as good as I would’ve expected. I don’t expect him to be a great defensive player, but he’s looked a lot weaker defensively this season in a bigger role than he looked last season in a sheltered role.

Not to derail the discussion but how has his teammate Ian Moore looked so far this year? His numbers have been much better over the past 4-5 games compared to the first 5-6 games but does he pass the eye test so far?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It was a magical season for the USHL’s Chicago Steel. After being the best team in the USHL during the 2019-20 season, the Steel felt that they were robbed of the opportunity to compete for the Clark Cup. The Steel would come back in 2020-21 and bring home the Clark Cup. For defenceman Ryan Ufko who played a minor role on the 2020 team, it must have been especially sweet to be one of the top defenders on this year’s squad. Last season Ufko had just two goals and seven assists for nine points in 43 regular-season games. This season, Ufko scored 10 goals and 29 assists for 39 points in 53 games. He also added a goal and six assists for seven points in eight playoff games. Along with being part of the Clark Cup Champions, Ufko was also part of the USHL First All-Star Team.

Ufko will get the chance to help the Steel defend their Clark Cup title as he will be back with the team next year. Going forward, he is committed to attending the University of Massachusetts and playing Division One hockey for the Minutemen, starting in the 2022-23 season.

2021 NHL Draft #57: Ryan Ufko Scouting Report - LWOS

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s good value, but I was not impressed with his development this season. He has a chance to play in the NHL, but his game went the wrong way this season.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Hadn't heard much about him this year after he played for USA U20 team in 2022-23.

Does he definitely forego his senior season with the Minutemen and where is his game at this point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad