RD Ryan Rehill - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2014, 131st overall, New Jersey)

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Ryan Rehill - THW War Room Profile by E-Mac

Sleeper tough dman

Excerpt

Hashtag: #TheKingofTruculence
Team: Everett, WHL
Position: Defense
Shoots: Right
Height: 6’3
Weight: 213 lb.
Born: Edmonton, AB, 7-Nov-13

Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Ryan Rehill:

The King of Truculence –Ryan Rehill is this year’s draft eligible “King of Truculenceâ€. Simply put, he never backs down; he always sticks up for his teammates. He is that big brother that has your back as he didn’t lead the WHL in penalty minutes (182) without addressing a few situations in a less-than-sensitive manner. Ryan is Mr. Truculence with a capital “Tâ€.
Offense – Ryan models himself after Douglas Murray so offense is not his game. He is, however, reasonably mobile and has a good shot from the point.
Defense – Ryan is that truculent stay-at-home defenseman who plays with an edge and is hard to play against. He is excellent one on one, plays with an active stick and can deliver Douglas Murray-like bone jarring hits. He is an effective leader and team player as his -4 (on a team where most of the players were in the -20s up to the -40s) indicates...

Link to full in depth profile

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
200px-Kamloops_Blazers_Logo.svg.png

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I am quite high on Rehill

I did a write up on him a few months back:

Ryan Rehill - RD - Kamloops Blazers - 6'3 215
-Rehill brings a very physical and defence first game to the table. The WHL PIMS leader blocks shots punishes with big hits and clears opposing players from the front of the net every night. Only -1 on the WHL's second worst team, playing top opposition every night speaks volumes to Rehills game. Rehill often fights the toughest customers in the dub and holds his own. While his offensive numbers have gone up this year I wouldn't expect much offence going forward. Rehills foot speed and mobility need work but shouldn't hold him back. He has a huge roll on the Blazers this year and will have huge roll going forward for the rebuilding Blazers.
-Playing style: Brooks Orpik
-NHL potential: Bottom pairing shutdown D-man
-Round: 3/4

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Nice write up MM; agreed - only saw him live once this year, but have to say he did impress. Toughness, physicality, defense didn't surprise me so much, but how much he contributed elsewhere did. Obvious limited offensive upside at next level, but the kid can play.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Nice write up MM; agreed - only saw him live once this year, but have to say he did impress. Toughness, physicality, defense didn't surprise me so much, but how much he contributed elsewhere did. Obvious limited offensive upside at next level, but the kid can play.

I think his biggest selling point is that he played the year as a #1 D-man for the Blazers, something not many D-men in this draft did. He had so many tough assignments and was a rock. Only -4 on the second worst team in the league is quite incredible.

*BTW- Please fix the title.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rehill is a personal favorite of mine.

He should be a top 90 selection. As far as NHL projection goes, his decision making and overall movement needs to quicken as well as reducing his PIM's.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Have a feeling he goes in the 2nd which should cause an uproar but everything you said is correct he needs to get better at thinking the game if ever wants to be a pro but then again most guys similar to him have to work on those things

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Have a feeling he goes in the 2nd which should cause an uproar but everything you said is correct he needs to get better at thinking the game if ever wants to be a pro but then again most guys similar to him have to work on those things

2nd round is more than reasonable considering not many projects similar to him have the type of leash and responsibility he does. You have to think the NHL would love a project who won't be played like one. Points to a guy who could really improve quickly if things click.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
2nd round is more than reasonable considering not many projects similar to him have the type of leash and responsibility he does. You have to think the NHL would love a project who won't be played like one. Points to a guy who could really improve quickly if things click.

Mitch Moroz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad