RD Roland McKeown - Kingston, OHL (2014, 50th, LAK; traded to CAR)

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I think Murray takes him at 31 to round out our 6 D guys. A perfect blend of speed, size, skill, grit, toughness, tenacity. Love it.

Myers/Risto
Zadarov/Psysk
McCabe/McKeown

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Wasn't he hyped up coming in as a top 15 pick a year prior? What happened? Didn't take his game to the next level? More scrutiny?

most criticism is that he isn't really outstanding at anything, scouts probably just expected more out of him. hope my team lands him in the early 2nd

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wasn't he hyped up coming in as a top 15 pick a year prior? What happened? Didn't take his game to the next level? More scrutiny?

IMO, his offensive game didn't develop as much as originally thought. He was solid offensively this season, but didn't look very dynamic.

DiehardKingsFan

Jul 28, 2006
It's not for no reason he fell all the way down to 50. Had no idea he was so highly touted last year. Hopefully our coaching staff can work on his weaknesses. Also, he's going to have a lot of competition cracking into the top 6 when he's NHL ready.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

So why did he fall so far back?

Was ranked in the 20s.

I read that scouts were shy on him because he lacked identity, didnt do anything very good but does everything well kind of thing... I for one think it was a great value pick anywhere under 20th overall

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So why did he fall so far back?

Was ranked in the 20s.

I swear I've answered this question 5 times already in this thread. :laugh:

Do people not read through previous posts in a thread before asking a question that's been asked multiple times in the thread already? :help:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Mckeown's trend the past 2 years has been alarming.

Number 2 pick in ohl projected to go top 20 in draft falls into late 2nd round, now this season he continues his decline. Just very weird.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I saw a Matt Finn type player pre-draft. Methodical Leader.

figured he would make similar strides point-wise this year when he was given the reins of the team. (Captain)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I still think he's going to turn out to be a steal for the Kings. He may not become a high point producer, but he still has good offensive skills and decent offensive instincts, is good at starting the breakout, and plays an above average defensive game. His mobility is a strong point. He has a lot of upside but maybe a low chance of reaching it. But I think it's likely he reaches some of it. Definitely an NHL defenseman in 3-4 years in my eyes. He might not wow anybody but should be a solid everyday contributor.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How is he playing so far this season?

He's being relied upon as Kingston's shutdown defender, and seems to be playing a more conservative game this year. He's still great at transitioning from the D-zone to the O-zone, but the team as a whole seems to be told not to jump into the offensive zone too aggressively under the new coach.

He's a tough one on one defender, as he's positionally strong and has a good active stick. His gap control is better this year than last. He'll never be a bruiser. He'll always be that defender who relies on proper positioning and stick than physicality to shut the opposition down.

Offensively, he got off to a horrendous start, but has come on a bit lately. I think 3 of his 4 goals this year have come in the last month. Part of it is I think McKeown concentrating on being strong defensively, so he doesn't take as many chances as last year. Part of it is the coaching system, as this year's coach (McFarland) stresses defense to the point where it's like they're playing the trap and the defense don't activate 99% of the time, while last year's coach (Gill) played a more offensive system that allowed its defense to pinch and jump into the rush more often.

Also, he doesn't necessarily get top PP unit time. The PP either sees 4 forwards playing, with McKeown splitting time with McEneny, or he and McEneny running the point. But in either scenario, the coach doesn't really play it like a top unit. Most teams, you'll see the PP QB out there for 1:15 or 1:30 of a 2 minute PP, only changing when it's nearing the end. Kingston seems to just "roll lines", as it were, on the PP.

I still think he's got NHL top 4 potential because he's a good skater, good at moving the puck, and has turned into a very solid defensive defenseman. He's got to work on being stronger along the boards/in front of the net, and being a bit more assertive at eliminating guys earlier. He hasn't turned into the dynamic offensive defenseman I thought he'd be, but rather a safe and sound two-way mobile guy.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
At the draft, i wanted the Canucks to draft Mckeown with their second round pick.

I was SO pissed when they took Demko instead....

I thought that Mckeown was going to be a right side / handed Dan Hamhuis. I thought they were really similar players types.

Now, Mckeown has been a bit underwhelming and he could still turn into a stud..but at this point i have changed my opinon. I am very happy that the Canucks have Demko.
Guy was USA's goalie....and he's looking very good this year.

2.08GAA 9.28 Save percentage

He's going to be another Cory Schneider.... When Miller retires he's going to be a real stud. I hope the Canucks dont screw up the goalie situation like they did Luongo / Schneider haha

anyways...i still like Mckeown, i hope he develops well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad