RD Philippe Myers (2015 undrafted; 2015 signed, PHI)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have signed 6-5, 196-lb pound defenseman Philippe Myers to an entry-level contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Myers, 18 (01/25/97), was attending Flyers Training Camp on an amateur try-out after spending two seasons with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He has appeared in two games so far this season with the Huskies, going scoreless. Last season, he posted eight points (2g-6a) and 55 penalty minutes in 60 regular season and added two assists and 15 penalty minutes in six QMJHL playoff games.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=779904
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=223515

After impressing the Flyers as an invite in training camp and signing his ELC, he's gone back to the QMJHL and scored three points in his first five games including this assist.

https://streamable.com/838b

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well isn't this a popular thread. :sarcasm:

This year in 8 games he has 3g+4A=7pts
Last year in 60 games he had 2g+6a=8pts

Did Philly get a 6'5 RHD for free that could turn into a NHLer?

Provorov
Sanheim
Morin
Ghost
Hagg
Friedman
Myers

That's a nice D prospect group. Puts our current NHL guys to shame.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
He's got talent, and I'm surprised someone didn't take a flyer on him in the draft. However, I still think he has a long ways to go before he's considered a legit NHL prospect.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's got talent, and I'm surprised someone didn't take a flyer on him in the draft. However, I still think he has a long ways to go before he's considered a legit NHL prospect.

Do you/have you watched him in the Q? We know little about him except for the hi-lights so any info you ever have to add thru the year would be great.

Gotta find a Rouyn-N fan to keep us updated each game...lol.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I watch the Huskies a lot because they have two Avs prospects. They have a fantastic team this year, if you get a chance to watch them ever please do so. They are so aggressive and uptempo, its a ton of fun.

I was surprised Myers wasn't drafted but those small market Q teams get very little attention especially if they don't have big names on them. As you've probably seen in the highlights Myers had that real nice goal the other night when he moved up from the point. I like him, he's a nice two way D. After I watch this team some more I'll feel more comfortable giving a scouting report. You might also want to follow their beat writer, he does a great job.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He's incredibly mobile for a guy his size. One thing I've noticed so far this year is that he is much more confident than last year. It's incredible what one of summer can do. He looks very poised and calm this year, controls the puck well and makes good plays with it. He really jumps up into the offense way more than what I saw from him last year.

Honestly he was only a longshot to be drafted last season, and only got an invite. I am sure many thought he would be cut really early and forgotten. My best guess is he put on a ton of work over the summer and really developped some confidence, and then really impressed at Flyers' camp. They must have been amazed by what they saw from him. I know I've been impressed so far this season.

I think this guy will be an NHLer. Philly's Q scout is usually spot on.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's incredibly mobile for a guy his size. One thing I've noticed so far this year is that he is much more confident than last year. It's incredible what one of summer can do. He looks very poised and calm this year, controls the puck well and makes good plays with it. He really jumps up into the offense way more than what I saw from him last year.

Honestly he was only a longshot to be drafted last season, and only got an invite. I am sure many thought he would be cut really early and forgotten. My best guess is he put on a ton of work over the summer and really developped some confidence, and then really impressed at Flyers' camp. They must have been amazed by what they saw from him. I know I've been impressed so far this season.

I think this guy will be an NHLer. Philly's Q scout is usually spot on.
After watching a couple games last year and then the first couple games of this season, this is what jumped out to me as well. Last year you could see the size and mobility, but this year he is making plays with the puck and looks really comfortable doing so. Quite honestly, I was blown away when I first saw him play this year against Quebec. You look at his profile and think big, stay at home defenseman with limited puck skills and that's just not the case.

Can't get too carried away. He's still pretty raw, but early returns are good. He's caught my attention and I look forward to following his development. Definitely worth the ELC. Have to figure if RN keeps pace as the highest scoring team in the league, while expecting him to be PPG may be a little optimistic, he could finish around .75 PPG. It's hard to imagine a 6'5 RHD with that kind of skillset lasting much later than the 3rd round if he were eligible for the 2016 Draft, even as a 19 year old.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
He looked really good this past saturday in Drummondville, i talked about it on twitter but he has to be one of the most improved players in the league. He's playing with a lot of confidence, mostly his play with the puck is where i see the most improvement from last season. Great move by the Flyers to sign him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He looked really good this past saturday in Drummondville, i talked about it on twitter but he has to be one of the most improved players in the league. He's playing with a lot of confidence, mostly his play with the puck is where i see the most improvement from last season. Great move by the Flyers to sign him.
What a snipe he had too. :sarcasm:

Thanks for sharing.

Smitty137

Mar 14, 2013
Nova Scotia
I have seen him play a few times. Reminds me a lot of Konrad Abeltshouser (former halifax moosehead) in the season the halifax on the memorial cup the benefit is that he seems to be progressing faster and is yet another larger defence man who is a bit of a late bloomer

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Noticed his numbers this year and asked on the QMJHL board if perhaps scouts had missed a good one. Nobody replied so I checked here and see he's Flyers property.

Well done Flyers.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah. It was a nice find. Even if the offense doesn't fully translate to the next level a 6'5, mobile, RH defenseman can still be pretty valuable (especially for the Flyers who have been looking for RHD for years). I try to temper my expectations for an undrafted free agent, but he's not making it easy. Impressive start to his season.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
DraftBuzz ranked #197 for the 2015 NHL Draft. Here is his scouting report from the Draft Guide:

PHILIPPE MYERS shouldn’t be part of this discussion with only 8PTS in 60GP, but he’ s 6’4.75 and 198 lbs with a skillset that wears on you over time. He’s tall, he’s long, he’s a good skater with nice mobility for his size and can even step up and create with speed on his own. Scouting him, his development has come in waves as he adjusts to his physical growth. His most impressive experience on his resume stands as his Midget AAA playoffs in 2013 when he scored 8PTS in 9GP - likely fueling his 58th overall selection in the QMJHL draft. Underweight for his size, everything you saw on the ice will come with different impact as he gains weight. He’ s a decent puck rusher, puck mover, hitter, and defender who has his wits about him and is open to being inventive. He’s an all around guy with reach and range who got it done in a light manner. He may never come with gaudy stats, but you can be sure he will be a distinguishable figure in the Q next year. Myers is a tough read as a defender the NHL usually loves to gamble on, but may be scared off and deem him irrelevant until he makes more of a contribution offensively.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I drafted this guy late rounds a couple of times during 2015 mock drafts. Makes me look good if he's looking way better this year. ;)

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Phillipe Myers

6'5 209, RHD who was undrafted this year, but the Flyers signed him on an ELC after impressing at camp. Has 19 points in 29 after a total of 8 in 60 games last season. Thoughts?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Bill Meltzer (arguably the best journalist who covers the Flyers) said this the other day in regards to Myers:

'An NHL scout at the Phantoms game against Providence a couple weeks ago said if there was a redraft now of the one in June, Myers would probably go late second round. So, yes, he is a legit contributor.'

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
6'5 209, RHD who was undrafted this year, but the Flyers signed him on an ELC after impressing at camp. Has 19 points in 29 after a total of 8 in 60 games last season. Thoughts?

Those are the best prospect stories out there.
I know i've heard of prospects soliciting teams for a tryout, was this the case with Meyers or was he approached by the Flyers?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Flyers don't invite many free agents to camp so I'm guessing they had a special interest in him.
"He came in and he earned it," Flyers head coach Dave Hakstol said Monday before his team's preseason game at PPL Center against the New York Islanders. "That's the old-fashioned way. He came in on a tryout, and with the announcement today it caps off a pretty impressive week for a young man."
http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/09/philippe_myers_quickly_goes_from_tryout_to_flyers.html

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Named 3rd star of the month for the QMJHL.

Now has 10 goals, 19 assists for 29 points in 37 games as an undrafted 6'5 RHD in his draft+1 season.

Any Non-Flyers fans care to chime in on how he has looked?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I suppose what a big toolsy 18 year old would look like. He moves well and can be aggressive, which also leads to some blunders. He's real good with the puck, good at carrying it and pinching up in the zone to get his shot off. His D partner Lauzon has been injured and they just added someone else so things might be a little unsettled there for a bit but when the Huskies get their offense rolling again he will be a big part.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I suppose what a big toolsy 18 year old would look like. He moves well and can be aggressive, which also leads to some blunders. He's real good with the puck, good at carrying it and pinching up in the zone to get his shot off. His D partner Lauzon has been injured and they just added someone else so things might be a little unsettled there for a bit but when the Huskies get their offense rolling again he will be a big part.

Thanks for the update!

Does he appear to be getting more comfortable and improving as he plays more? What are his roles on special teams, if any?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad