RD Philippe Myers (2015 undrafted; 2015 signed, PHI)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No..Hyka was different because he was European and thus, not eligible to sign after going undrafted HS 1 st year.

Hyka:
As we outlined last night, the CBA prevents NHL clubs from signing undrafted European players who are under 22 years of age. He'll re-enter the NHL Entry Draft in 2012, where the Flyers or any other team can take him. If by some chance he were to be overlooked in the draft again next year, he could be signed as a free agent in the summer because he'll have played the 2011-12 season in North America.

Myers COULD be signed because he is North American.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2011/9/22/2442198/tomas-hyka-contract-juniors-philadelphia-flyers

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why were the Flyers allowed to sign Myers? The NHL blocked the Flyers from signing Tomas Hyka, so something must have changed in the new CBA.

Just to expand on Tripod's post, teams have an offseason window to sign undrafted North American trained players with remaining draft eligibility. The most notable one in recent times might be Martin Jones. Jones went undrafted in 2008, got invited to Kings prospect camp, and the Kings offered him a deal. It's not uncommon to see a couple guys go this route.

Along with Myers, Columbus signed Kole Sherwood to an ELC after Sherwood went undrafted in 2015. Sergei Tolchinsky was signed by Carolina in this manner. The Sharks added a couple guys in Michael Sgarbossa and J.P. Anderson back in the day like this.

Flyers misread the CBA clause with regards to Hyka. They thought that since Hyka was scheduled to play for a North American club that fall, that they could sign him.

Then the Oilers misread the clause with Vladimir Tkachev. Tkachev had split the previous season between North American and Russia. Oilers thought that he was eligible to be signed because he played part of the previous year in North America.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
So did the 29 other teams.

Calgary actually had him in their camp right before us. He wasn't referring to the draft. They had an opportunity to offer him a contract in their camp and passed and luckily, we offered him shortly afterward.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Calgary actually had him in their camp right before us. He wasn't referring to the draft. They had an opportunity to offer him a contract in their camp and passed and luckily, we offered him shortly afterward.

Yeah I know that. I mentioned that before on the Flyers board. Just because he went to Calgary's development camp doesn't mean they hold his rights or anything. Player's don't often get contract offers after development camps, that happens at the main training camps. Any team could have offered him a contract in theory. Team's like Calgary bring in bodies just to run full scrimmages in the summer. The Flyers only invite a handful of guy's just to get a peek.

Good on the Flyers for having the foresight to offer him an Entry-level contract, but there is also a bit of luck involved (about time :)). Just don't think Calgary should be made out as the only team to pass on him, when the Flyers themselves had plenty of chances to take him and did not.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
Well in this case, while all the teams passed on him at the draft, Calgary had the opportunity to get a closer look at him following it and passed. So they passed on him again. But yeah, lots of luck involved, but must credit our scouting and drafting.

Out of all our picks, our goalie picks are very underrated in my opinion and will be a huge asset in the future.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Slight bump, dont know how to embed tweets but Button feels Myers is in the same basket as the Flyers top D prospects like Provorov, Sanheim and Morin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I do wonder what NON FLYERS fans...and Button view his value at.

So looking at this next draft, and Myers was available, where would you pick him?

Higher/lower than Bean? Fabbro? McAvoy? etc...

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
We rarely see overagers that get picked in the 1st round... I don't think he would be pick in the 1st round, maybe not in the 2nd as well, even if I like Myers.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
We rarely see overagers that get picked in the 1st round... I don't think he would be pick in the 1st round, maybe not in the 2nd as well, even if I like Myers.

Pearson is the only one I can think of recently. I'd bet because of how the late 1st/early-mid 2ND rounds are pretty even, that would be right where he would slot. It's the same old adage, someone just has to like him more than everyone else

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That was actually a summary of a couple of NHL scouts I asked about him. I haven't seen enough of Myers to feel too comfortable rating him yet on my own observations.

Well, I look forward to seeing where you place him in your rankings when you do get the time to view him more.

Mind you, if Sanheim didn't crack your top 50 prospects, Myers won't either. Any second thoughts on Sanheim since he is clobbering the WHL in PPG this year?

At least Lindblom made it...lol.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He goes from undrafted to top 3 finalist of Dman of the year....all in 9 months.

It shows how players develop at different times and can still surprise the scouts.

So glad Hextall signed him. It would have sucked to see him come to our camp, not get signed, and then have this breakout. Right Calgary fans?

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad