RD Paul LaDue (2012, 181st, LAK)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Surprised there wasn't a thread about this guy.

The guy was a big minute eater for NoDak last season en route to an NCAA championship last season and I was always impressed by him. He's not exactly a dynamic player but he's pretty safe and smart in terms of how he plays. From what I've heard, he's had quite a training camp in Los Angeles and just recently got sent down (just like another NoDak defenceman, Troy Stecher).

I think the guy can definitely step in and become an impactful NHL player. He's got a good frame, his skating is good enough and he processes the game quite well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=129954

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Because he's most likely going to be a career AHL player unless your NHL team is really bad. There are many players like the ones you described that play AHL and college hockey.

Last edited:

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Because he's most likely going to be a career AHL player unless your NHL team is really bad. There are many players like the ones you described that play AHL and college hockey.

Seriously? This is a player that will probably play 30-40 games to start off in the AHL, get called up and never look back. He is just a steady, smart player, that has exceeded expectations at every level (including training camp already this year). Ceiling as a good #4, pretty sure bet to be a bottom pairing guy in my opinion.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

From what I saw from his play in the preseason, he is already the 4th best defenseman on the Kings, and can quickly be a Top 2 as he develops. He showed incredible poise, great skating, and reads in the games I saw. Coach Sutter, who usually never praises rookies and has a heavy bias for veterans, had some great comments about LaDue and let him play high minutes during the preseason games. The only reason he was sent down to the AHL (along with another good prospect we have, Gravel) was because he is waiver exempt and has not even had a full year in the AHL yet. However, considering the impact he had, I would not be surprised to see him called up middle of the season. He sure as hell is better than McNabb, Fobert, Greene and Gilbert at the moment.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's a Kings prospect, therefore he sucks.

DUde had a monster camp. Needs a year to get used to the rigors of the pro schedule imo but not a stretch to say he was already the 4th best d flat out performance wise behind only Muzzin, Drew, Martinez. Thank goodness he's RHD too. Made a lot look really, really effortless, I knew he had the tools but not the brain--he's gonna be a dandy. Reminded me of a more fluid Voynov.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Seriously? This is a player that will probably play 30-40 games to start off in the AHL, get called up and never look back. He is just a steady, smart player, that has exceeded expectations at every level (including training camp already this year). Ceiling as a good #4, pretty sure bet to be a bottom pairing guy in my opinion.

Here's hoping you're right--played 36 AHL games, and is now officially called up (Greene on IR, Gilbert waived) to compete with Gravel and McNabb for bottom-pairing duty to start.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Expected to debut tonight in TB, same arena in which he won the national championship with North Dakota.

Organization is insanely high on him, excited to see what he can bring!

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Had a strong debut despite our absolute slaughter, even though he wasn't playing very aggressive on the puck (Especially on potential hold-ins), which is a staple of Kings' possession hockey--think he was erring on the side of caution which was probably very smart last night, especially being paired with relatively slow of foot mcNabb and Muzzin :laugh: But he did show good skating, flashed good puck management and breakout passes, and made a few strong defensive plays, especially one on Drouin, sticking him all the way from behind our net to the blueline before disarming him of the puck and poking it into the neutral zone.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's crazy that from what I heard that LA considers him as a complete untouchable. Havent really heard much about him and was surprised to hear this.

Going to be very curious to see how he turns out

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Been looking for a puck moving RHD to play the 2nd pairing since Voynov got deported. This is the best (only) internal possibility... The chips are "all in" on Ladue, as our salary capped organization can't simply get one in FA and trading for one opens holes and would still need to deal with the cap.

He's also expansion draft exempt -- look for the Kings to slot him into the lineup as a cheap d-man next year full time.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
whos a good NHL comparison? I am very unfamiliar with him

Saw he had an assist last night and played about 15 mins and a good amount of time on the PP.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
whos a good NHL comparison? I am very unfamiliar with him

Saw he had an assist last night and played about 15 mins and a good amount of time on the PP.

I took some heat for it but I said right now he looks like Jamie McBain. Much higher ceiling but stylistically really similar. Fluid skater, comfortable skating the puck, handles well in tight spaces, good at getting shot through. Big enough that he hasn't really been abused on the wall though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sorry for my laziness to check myself, but did the Gilbert trade happen due to LaDue being ready?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sorry for my laziness to check myself, but did the Gilbert trade happen due to LaDue being ready?

I think it's fair to assume that. Plus they wanted to apparently do Gilbert a solid I guess, since that leaves us kind of devoid of experience with GIlbert gone and Greene out. Our depth chart is Doughty/Muzzin/Forbort/Martinez/LaDue/Gravel/McNabb and then Ontario guys...which would be Scuderi (unlikely since he's never even at the games LOL) and LoVerde? Shrug. No experienced depth. But I digress. Only time the organization has acted this way is when they traded Johnson and replaced his spot with Voynov. So they must feel pretty damn good about him!

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Nice little feature for those interested.

I'm glad every hockey player isn't like him though.. Hockey would become too perfect and with maturity and experience, defensemen would become too good and therefor wouldn't allow any goals. Fortunately for us, there are still a couple of hot-heads out there who f**k things him here and there during their development ahah

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
LaDue has played 10 NHL games now and man is he great.

So much poise, has a Doughty-lite skillset and is mentally strong enough to go out, make a youthful mistake, and bounce back like it never happened. Has made some phenomenal passes and is getting more comfortable skating the puck offensively. Did well vs. a stiff Caps forecheck last night--had one pretty bad turnover, but remained in good enough position to recover/not get victimized then immediately had his best shifts of the game. Kid is a beauty and already looks like a #3. I expect some youthful regression/sophomore slump as he plays many more games than he did in college, but the kid has an NHL brain. We may finally have our Voynov replacement. Now I'm just praying he doesn't get offer-sheeted...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
LaDue has played 10 NHL games now and man is he great.

So much poise, has a Doughty-lite skillset and is mentally strong enough to go out, make a youthful mistake, and bounce back like it never happened. Has made some phenomenal passes and is getting more comfortable skating the puck offensively. Did well vs. a stiff Caps forecheck last night--had one pretty bad turnover, but remained in good enough position to recover/not get victimized then immediately had his best shifts of the game. Kid is a beauty and already looks like a #3. I expect some youthful regression/sophomore slump as he plays many more games than he did in college, but the kid has an NHL brain. We may finally have our Voynov replacement. Now I'm just praying he doesn't get offer-sheeted...

Does he have potential to put up a good point total? Or will he max out as a 20-30 point guy that plays solid in all situations?

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles

giphy.gif

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Does he have potential to put up a good point total? Or will he max out as a 20-30 point guy that plays solid in all situations?

I think he could be a 40 point guy if he gets some PP time. Has shown a lot of creativity and vision but I doubt he'll be a trigger guy. Shot is good but not great...it's NHL caliber but not really a weapon in itself like Voynov's was.

Well, he's right that the Kings are bad :laugh:

But godawfully wrong about LaDue not being NHL caliber.

TimmyHockey

Mar 9, 2017
I saw him play the other night and was not impressed. He may be a great player and I caught him on an off night, but he was a slow decision make with the puck and turned it over at the offensive blue line because he didn't read the play. Defensively he also was beat a few times as he couldnt pivot well or accelerate fast enough

ginomini

May 25, 2014
People were raving about this guy a year ago. How come isn't he playing in the NHL at 25 if he is/was so good ?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah, color me confused as well - had really high hopes for LaDue - granted the Kings are doing just fine without him playing any kind of a role but honestly figured he'd beat out at least one or two of Fantenberg, Folin or MacDermid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad