RD Owen Phillips - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Right-hand shot defenceman with very good skating ability and hockey smarts. Reminds me of Jordan Spence in a way - An offensive-minded defenceman who makes plays happen and QB a powerplay.

QMJHL Rights: Halifax Mooseheads
QMJHL Draft: Halifax Mooseheads (R1, 2022, #7 Overall)

1656979097120.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting that a kid from Halifax played for the Penguins Elite team.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Interesting that a kid from Halifax played for the Penguins Elite team.
Interesting yes but not unique at this point. Will Shields was the 11th pick also a Nova Scotia kid and is at the BK program in Rochester. Zachary Morin, one of the most hyped 07’s in Canada and from Quebec will be on the Little Caesar’s 15O team this year in Detroit.

The reach of some of the powerhouse midget/prep programs in the States is pretty large.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Interesting yes but not unique at this point. Will Shields was the 11th pick also a Nova Scotia kid and is at the BK program in Rochester. Zachary Morin, one of the most hyped 07’s in Canada and from Quebec will be on the Little Caesar’s 15O team this year in Detroit.

The reach of some of the powerhouse midget/prep programs in the States is pretty large.
Playing in the US really helped these kids too. Last year Sheilds was able to play 50 games in a year where many players didn’t play any - then this year he played 80 games, whereas many other prospects from the Q played 40 games max - because of it he is already well conditioned for the 68 game schedule.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I knew of kids very commonly going to Michigan (Compuware, Honeybaked, etc). Did not know Pittsburgh was now a spot like that with the Jr Penguins, and that is cool to hear about Shields, that is right down the road from me lol.

Reactions: BKarchitect

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

I'm not a fan, I think it's damaging to Canadian hockey. Yes, people are free to make their own choices but money is the root of all evil as they say. You say reach perhaps overreach is the right word to use. Old folks like me remember the "brain drain".

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
I don't think he had any points today in the Mooseheads 5-0 win over Sherbrooke but he just looked so steady getting PP time with Whynot out of the lineup.

Sherbrooke is an amazing team and what the Mooseheads have done in the last few games is incredible without the top scorer in the Q in Dumais and their #1 D; Phillips has played his part in it , cannot imagine what he is going to be at 19.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think he had any points today in the Mooseheads 5-0 win over Sherbrooke but he just looked so steady getting PP time with Whynot out of the lineup.

Sherbrooke is an amazing team and what the Mooseheads have done in the last few games is incredible without the top scorer in the Q in Dumais and their #1 D; Phillips has played his part in it , cannot imagine what he is going to be at 19.
Was dominating performance by Moosehead today. Don't think Phoenix will be rising.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
What’s your list
I don’t have one but I can name 10 defenders alone who I would have ahead of him, without a second thought. That’s just the defenders.

Artyom Levshunov
Cole Hutson
Sam Dickinson
Aaron Kiviharju
Zayne Perekh
Anthony Cristoforo
Edvin Nilsson
Tomas Lavoie
Adam Jiricek
John Whipple
Will Skahan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don’t have one but I can name 10 defenders alone who I would have ahead of him, without a second thought. That’s just the defenders.

Artyom Levshunov
Cole Hutson
Sam Dickinson
Aaron Kiviharju
Zayne Perekh
Anthony Cristoforo
Edvin Nilsson
Tomas Lavoie
Adam Jiricek
John Whipple
Will Skahan
I guess we'll see. He's my favorite '06 Defenseman playing in Canadian Major Juniors, but I'm not an expert.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
He is going top 10 next year for sure
I am based in Halifax...the kid is good but top 10 good, probably not:

in Major junior I would have Sam Dickinson, Henry Mews, Jakub Chromiak, Matthew Virgilio, Anthony Cristoforo, Tomas Lavoie, Zayne Parekh and Bryce Pickford ahead of him that is just CHL guys.....then you have Aaron Kiviharju (in the talks of 1st overall)...Adam Jiricek, Artoyom Levshunov, John Whipple, Cole Hutson, Veeti Vaisanen......I would see Phillips somehwere around mid to late 2nd round to even early 3rd round unless he really comes in next year and seperates himself.

Reactions: Blueston

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
He’s got to get bigger for sure. I hope someone takes a flyer on Schultz this year. He’s worth the chance with a late pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad