RD Oskari Laaksonen - Ilves Jr, SM-Liiga (2017, 89th, BUF)

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I am sure they could have had him in the seventh round, I have never heard of him before. The only thing I have heard is that he is an offence first guy.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
From stats, it looks like hes maybe an above average defenseman in finlands junior a league.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I've heard that Oskari has been promoted to first pair with Ilves and he's playing 22mins a game. Can anybody provide an update? How has he looked? I understand his strength is skating with good offensive instincts.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I've heard that Oskari has been promoted to first pair with Ilves and he's playing 22mins a game. Can anybody provide an update? How has he looked? I understand his strength is skating with good offensive instincts.
Ilves (their Liiga-team) hasn't played for a while, I don't think they qualified for playoffs at all.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Weird to hear as their season ended quite a while ago, but I think he played well and deserved the time on the 1st pair.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Bumping this pitiful thread.

Saw Laaksonen at WJSS, and he was playing absolutely great, reminiscent of a couple of late 1st round picks I thought of highly in 2017 (Jokiharju and Vaakanainen). Of course, it's summer hockey and all that, but I just decided to follow up to see how he is doing, and he has 4 pts in 6 games in the Finnish top league. Looks like this guy's game is developing at a rapid pace, he could become a huge steal for the Sabres.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Bumping this pitiful thread.

Saw Laaksonen at WJSS, and he was playing absolutely great, reminiscent of a couple of late 1st round picks I thought of highly in 2017 (Jokiharju and Vaakanainen). Of course, it's summer hockey and all that, but I just decided to follow up to see how he is doing, and he has 4 pts in 6 games in the Finnish top league. Looks like this guy's game is developing at a rapid pace, he could become a huge steal for the Sabres.

I definitely think he could end up as a steal for the Sabres, he has played top pair in Ilves for the whole season.

He is puck moving dman with good hands and skating, his top speed and acceleration are surprisingly good. Distibutes the puck like a madman, sometimes I think he should play more calm and look for more options, rather than send it to the first guy he sees open.

He needs to work on his defensive positioning, add weight (dude is beanpole) and be more fierce in front of the net.

Shows great promise and has no doubt NHL level potential.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Bumping this thread after he just scored his second goal of the season. 2+9 now in a little less than 17 games.

Buffalo definitely saw something in him that most did not.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Bumping this thread after he just scored his second goal of the season. 2+9 now in a little less than 17 games.

Buffalo definitely saw something in him that most did not.
Well according to rumor, Buffalo was planning on waiting until the 4th, but they got last minute intel that somebody between their third (89th OA) and their 4th (99th OA) was going to take him. My guess is that it was either Pitt or Nashville just based on personnel connections.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well according to rumor, Buffalo was planning on waiting until the 4th, but they got last minute intel that somebody between their third (89th OA) and their 4th (99th OA) was going to take him. My guess is that it was either Pitt or Nashville just based on personnel connections.

Interesting if true since I don't think any of the public lists or draft guides had Laaksonen ranked. You got a source for that?

Gotta say, our European scouts seem to be doing a pretty good job of finding guys with NHL potential late or outside of he draft over the past few years (Laaksonen, Pilut, Olofsson, Ullmark). It'll be interesting to see how many actually pan out.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Interesting if true since I don't think any of the public lists or draft guides had Laaksonen ranked. You got a source for that?

Gotta say, our European scouts seem to be doing a pretty good job of finding guys with NHL potential late or outside of he draft over the past few years (Laaksonen, Pilut, Olofsson, Ullmark). It'll be interesting to see how many actually pan out.
So, I’m pretty sure I heard it on the radio from...maybe Paul hamilton? But if you read Botterill’s post draft comments, he said, “Unfortunately, sometimes if you don't step up and take a player, you may not get him.” And if you listen to the audio, he sounded a little frustrated, like he expected to get him later. For my money, they did pretty well with those two picks. Jacob Bryson is the Sabres most underrated prospect, imo.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Laaksonen has gone from not on lists to prospect to watch.

Someone clearly knew something.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Having a nice tournament. Named player of the game in the second Finland game. Scored a nice goal in the third one. A really fun out of (almost literally) nowhere prospect to follow.

Buffalo must have been sure someone else was on him to pull the trigger on a guy on no lists in round 3. But he’s made them look like they knew what they were doing to this point.

Reactions: Keke

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Only saw the first game against Sweden so far. He got outmuscled on a few occasions in the corners and some of his passes were just left hanging in there. Can't wait to watch the second game now that you mention he was named player of the game.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
First time I'm watching the kid and I've been pleasantly surprised. Solid pick in 3rd round by the Sabres.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He is such a treat to watch on the ice. Great hands, great agility, great passes, hard shot - he has even thrown a few nice hits even though he is built like a pole.

Reactions: truthbluth

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He is such a treat to watch on the ice. Great hands, great agility, great passes, hard shot - he has even thrown a few nice hits even though he is built like a pole.

Being built like a string bean probably isn't a huge hindrance in a tournament of teenagers. Still has plenty of time to fill out that frame before testing it against NHL competition.

What a development trajectory the kid's been on...from being a "who???" on draft day in 2017 to now being the top scoring teenage D in Finland and making a strong showing at the WJC. He's gonna be one to watch over the next few years.

Reactions: truthbluth

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I've been impressed bout his play on Liiga and cause of his strong season he have not matched my expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad