RD Nicolas Meloche - Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL (2015, 40th, COL)

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
Hi Guys,

I never saw this kid play but when I look at his stats, I am really impressed

Born: 1997-07-18 (2015 NHL Draft)

H: 6.02
W: 194
GP:16 G:3 A:12 PTS:15 PEN:20 +/-: +10

So guys, can I have some info on this kid?

Thanks

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Puck poise is the first thing that comes to mind. Definitely doesn't play like a 16 year old. Good size and mobility but he could use work in tight spaces but that'll come. He puts up points but I feel he'll be more of a steady-eddie stay at home guy but can also chip in on production.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys,

I never saw this kid play but when I look at his stats, I am really impressed

Born: 1997-07-18 (2015 NHL Draft)

H: 6.02
W: 194
GP:16 G:3 A:12 PTS:15 PEN:20 +/-: +10

So guys, can I have some info on this kid?

Thanks

i really like this kid and have moved him lately in my 1st round for 2015, he has good size, great hockey sense, great passing, makes things look easy on the ice, he is great at orchestrating things on the ice and knows how to make plays, his passes look simple and easy but he knows how to create plays with ease....he has to learn to use his size and his defensive coverage is getting good, still makes rookie mistakes but this guy looks to me to be a guy in the QMJHL who will put up 50 to 60 points and possibly 70 and be a solid defender at the same time.....if he learned to play aggressive a little more he would be scary.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
i really like this kid and have moved him lately in my 1st round for 2015, he has good size, great hockey sense, great passing, makes things look easy on the ice, he is great at orchestrating things on the ice and knows how to make plays, his passes look simple and easy but he knows how to create plays with ease....he has to learn to use his size and his defensive coverage is getting good, still makes rookie mistakes but this guy looks to me to be a guy in the QMJHL who will put up 50 to 60 points and possibly 70 and be a solid defender at the same time.....if he learned to play aggressive a little more he would be scary.

I like him a lot too. Needs to play a tad more aggressive as you pointed out as well as improve his footwork. Really surprised ny his play as a rookie thus far.

Have you posted an updated 2015 list, Scoutman? I feel this could be as good a year as 2013 for the QMJHL in terms of volume in the first three rounds.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
2015 NHL draft seems to become an excellent year for dmen with:

Rasmus Andersson
Ryan Pilon
Noah Hanifin
Zach Werenski
Matt Spencer
Jeremy Roy
Oliver Kylington
Nicolas Meloche

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Really liked what I saw in the games against Cape Breton and Saint John. Like scoutman said, really good with the puck and sees the ice well. Isn't afraid to jump up in the play. Needs to be more physical and improve on his defensive game but it's not like he's terrible at it either.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Lots of potential and potentially the steal of the 2013 QMJHL draft for Baie Comeau being a late first. Smooth skating defenseman with a great first pass. Good vision , decent hands and hockey sense. One of his biggest attributes is his poise. Does not panic and makes quick , smart decisions. Like mentioned above , he does NOT look like a 16 year old rookie. Has good size but could bulk up , that of course will come over time. Also could be more physical. Very excited to watch this kid develop. High upside.

Cedream

Apr 21, 2013
Saint-Eustache
Love that guys since i saw him last years at the STE MAAA camp. Great mix of everything for a Dman of that age. Remember saying to my dad at that time that he was going to be a top5 pick in the Q, actually i was not right haha but I still believe he should have came out there.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This guy is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. 1st round talent.

Solid size at 6-2, 200lbs

What I'm seeing here is a complete dman with great skating, golden decision making, very poised and a great slapper.

Very smart on the ice, makes solid reads and can play physical as well.

Meloche has the potential to be a top-pairing, two-way dman that can put up points.

Basically everything is top-notch in his game. Reminded me a bit of Subban out there, perhaps with a bit less physicality to his game and of course without the personality/flash. But the way he rushes the puck up the ice, his skating, his clapper, were very Subban-like.

Keep an eye on Meloche!

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyone seen Meloche play this year? Is there an NHL comparable for him? He's showing up in the 20's in some rankings and putting up some pretty good numbers in the Q for a defenceman (26 pts in 33 games, 72 PIM).

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Anyone seen Meloche play this year? Is there an NHL comparable for him? He's showing up in the 20's in some rankings and putting up some pretty good numbers in the Q for a defenceman (26 pts in 33 games, 72 PIM).

Every time he plays I see a Ryan Suter in him. Maybe not as physical, but many other traits are comparable.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Been really good this year for Baie-Comeau. Has stepped up from what was a solid freshman season for him last year. His physical game has picked up a lot over the past year. Saw him against Québec and Shawinigan among others and he really made life miserable for Timashov and Yann in those games. He's not a big tough guy who'll take on any goon in the NHL but he'll be able to play against scorers and make life tough on them. May have taken his physical game a little too far though. May want to tone it down a bit at times but it's an improvement I've seen since last year for sure.

Other than that, has a really good shot from the point. Sometimes pales in comparison to Vanier's bomb but definitely more accurate from the point than Vanier. Still very good vision. Loves to join the rush and so on. Very good offensive dman with a physical aspect to his game.

Needs to work on his skating and mostly keeping his feet moving. Gets caught at times watching the play develop.

I'd give perhaps Derek Morris or Michael Stone as comparables.

As for him vs. Roy. I think Roy has more upside. Makes me think of someone like Keith from the backend. That said, Meloche is very good too and could easily end up the better of the two.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nicolas Meloche 2015 Draft Eligible RHD

Just looking at his stats and a couple of scraps on youtube has got my attention.

38gp. 8-20-28 93pim. -4 118sog. 6.8% shooting %

What are his strengths and his weaknesses? Who does he remind you of that is currently at the NHL level? What range do you see him being drafted in?

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
Just looking at his stats and a couple of scraps on youtube has got my attention.

What are his strengths and his weaknesses? Who does he remind you of that is currently at the NHL level? What range do you see him being drafted in?

He is a big, physical player with a mean streak. Has a great shot, high hockey IQ and seems to be a great character guy. He eats a lot of minutes and is a strong defender. He needs to improve his skating but I see him as the first defenseman selected from the Q.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm hoping that we could land him with Pitt's 1st because we lack RHD in the system and he sounds like he is willing and able to play a physical game. Anyone else mind chiming in on him?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
He is a big, physical player with a mean streak. Has a great shot, high hockey IQ and seems to be a great character guy. He eats a lot of minutes and is a strong defender. He needs to improve his skating but I see him as the first defenseman selected from the Q.

I'd be shocked if he was the 1st dman taken from the Q. Jeremy Roy should take that honor and Zboril is projected to go before him too

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I'm hoping that we could land him with Pitt's 1st because we lack RHD in the system and he sounds like he is willing and able to play a physical game. Anyone else mind chiming in on him?

He's my #2 choice for the Pens pick for us, my first is Rasmus Andersson. I'd be happy with either or.

Andersson is in his first season in the OHL and is posting ppg as a dman. He's also probably 215 lbs. He's the total package imo

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nicolas Meloche, Baie-Comeau Drakkar

Is anyone more familiar with the Q able to give some information on Meloche? He is ranked to go quite high, but I know little of him aside from what I've read in scouting reports. Anyone first hand accounts would be appreciated.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

As a disclaimer: most of my exposure to Meloche was earlier in the season, and i'm not a huge fan of his like some. A lot to like there though.

He is a big mobile defender who has a lot of confidence lugging the puck, can be a real PP asset, pretty good shot and gets it on net well. Has a physical edge to his play, though it seems kind of intermittent to me. Flashes of real aggression and physical play, and some stagnant detached times as well. Also as noted above...a bit of a tendency to stop moving his feet defensively, compounded by a kind of lackluster first step quickness.

If i were to compare him to a current NHLer stylistically and as a point of reference, i'd say...maybe a Cody Franson type.

As far as draft range...i'd peg him pretty much anywhere in that big group of guys who i could see going anywhere from the 20s to the 50s range. His size maybe skewing him toward the higher end of that, some team will fall in love with that.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
What is this guy's upside?

I've seen him all but one time and I liked what I saw. A rare right handed shot, scouts seem to think he is a mobile, two-way D with good decision making and an accurate shot. Seems like his physical play is inconsistent, but he's more than willing and capable. Plus, he can drop 'em.

What is holding him back from being better than J. Roy, Chabot, etc.?

Just seems like a steady, well-rounded RHD. Would be surprised if Carlo went ahead of him at this point.

Lets get some more info on this guy!

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I still think he is a very worthy first rounder, stock might have dropped because of a late-season injury but he is awesome. I saw him as the #2 defender out of the Q for this draft early in the season, and I'm having a hard time changing my stance.

He's got everything you could wish for in a D, he is big, mobile, he is smart has good vision, can dish out the hits, can join the rush, big clapper from the point, can be on the PP or PK and logs a ton of ice time.

He's the #1 D for Baie-Comeau and has played very well in the playoffs, they are in game 7 in round 2 right now.

He is extremely impressive and has a lot of poise anyone that drafts him outside of the top-15 is getting a steal to me. But honestly this draft is so deep even the teams drafting late 1st round will be getting gems so... perhaps he falls a bit.

His upside is a top-pairing D; 35-40 pts with good D and physical play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad