RD Mazden Leslie - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2023 undrafted)

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Been really impressed with him every time I watch Vancouver. He’s relied on a lot and is basically the only dman on the team who can transport the puck effectively and is not afraid to activate to hold the offensive zone.

It’s a shame this Vancouver team doesn’t have a couple better 2003’s that could help with their scoring problems. Literally only scoring more than the rebuilding Oil Kings, which to me is not good for the young talent on this roster. PG also has young players but have done way better at insulating that talent with older skill.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Been really impressed with him every time I watch Vancouver. He’s relied on a lot and is basically the only dman on the team who can transport the puck effectively and is not afraid to activate to hold the offensive zone.

It’s a shame this Vancouver team doesn’t have a couple better 2003’s that could help with their scoring problems. Literally only scoring more than the rebuilding Oil Kings, which to me is not good for the young talent on this roster. PG also has young players but have done way better at insulating that talent with older skill.

They traded Ostapchuk early in the season. They probably thought it would be more of a rebuilding season anyways but they've going to be in the playoffs literally by default.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I’m not too far away from having this guy in my top 50. He can really do it all and in my opinion is the most underrated defenseman in the draft. I am a bit skeptical about his defensive game which needs some work, but the offensive package is very intriguing. If he was playing with a better team he’d have way more attention. Check out this dish:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Went undrafted... did he call someone's mama a ho in his interviews? Stats wise he is easily a top 60 pick.

Reactions: Nevins

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
might be some red flag the public doesn't know about
The general feeling in the scouting world (thanks to my colleague Adam Kierszenblat for that information) is that Leslie will be drafted in the sixth or seventh round. That jives with most outlets as almost all of them don’t have him ranked.

It seems like his defensive game is just really that bad, that even with the obvious skills on offense, teams want no part of him.

Perhaps they see (or hear) that he’s not willing to work on his defensive game either.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The general feeling in the scouting world (thanks to my colleague Adam Kierszenblat for that information) is that Leslie will be drafted in the sixth or seventh round. That jives with most outlets as almost all of them don’t have him ranked.

It seems like his defensive game is just really that bad, that even with the obvious skills on offense, teams want no part of him.

Perhaps they see (or hear) that he’s not willing to work on his defensive game either.
Even so, when you're in the 7th round and teams are drafting guys that had literally 5 assists and 0 goals in their entire CHL draft season, who really have 0% chance of becoming an NHLer...like why not just throw a dart at Leslie?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I was quite shocked Leslie wasn’t drafted or invited to a development camp. His defensive game needs work but it’s not terrible by any stretch, especially not DND level. And he’s got good size as well, over 6 feet tall and can separate forwards from the puck along the boards. I think he could be a strong candidate as an overager to be drafted. Looking at the defenseman who were selected in 6th and 7th rounds, shocking they were taken before Leslie.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I was quite shocked Leslie wasn’t drafted or invited to a development camp. His defensive game needs work but it’s not terrible by any stretch, especially not DND level. And he’s got good size as well, over 6 feet tall and can separate forwards from the puck along the boards. I think he could be a strong candidate as an overager to be drafted. Looking at the defenseman who were selected in 6th and 7th rounds, shocking they were taken before Leslie.

I'm not sure but I believe that invitations to camps only work for prospects already drafted and those who are no longer eligible for the next draft.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I'm not sure but I believe that invitations to camps only work for prospects already drafted and those who are no longer eligible for the next draft.
Samuel Urban was invited to Montreal camp and he’s a 2005 so I believe anyone can be invited but of course until they sign they are still eligible to drafted by a different team next year or the year after

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
There must’ve been a MAJOR red flag for him to go unselected, at least he has decent size, and isn’t a miniature defender. Ya’know?

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
His offense is kinda meh. Of his comparables (on the point production-side) you have to go back to Dan Hamhuis to find an NHLer. Jared Spurgeron/Ethan Bare also had similar output and made the NHL but nothing post 2015 coming to mind

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 10.40.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 10.39.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 10.39.32 PM.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 1

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Wasn't really impressed with him last season TBH, suspect defensive game & not great awareness/hockey sense. Often got himself into trouble holding onto pucks too long. Wasn't super surprised he didn't get picked just didn't seem like he had an NHL game.

Haven't seen him this season & if he's been able to improve. If so maybe he'll sneak into the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad