RD Kenney Morrison - Western Michigan Univ, NCHC (2010 undrafted; 2015 signed, CGY)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sounds like he was at the Oilers game last night sitting with the brass and wearing an Oilers hoodie.

Makes me think he's signed or close to signing.

Can anyone describe his play?

I've read he's lacking defensively and in the skating department, but has an absolute cannon of a shot.

Did his defensive play improve over the course of the season?

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Kenney Morrison I think will garner a lot of attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Kenney Morrison is having a good start to the year. Is he the top UFA?

He's been on the radar for a couple seasons. Off the top of my head, I think he's attended prospect camp for the Oilers and Kings over the past two summers. Haven't seen Western Michigan on TV in awhile, but Morrison's biggest asset is his heavy shot from what I can remember.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's been on the radar for a couple seasons. Off the top of my head, I think he's attended prospect camp for the Oilers and Kings over the past two summers. Haven't seen Western Michigan on TV in awhile, but Morrison's biggest asset is his heavy shot from what I can remember.
Yeah. I thought he was going to sign last season. The extra year didn't hurt Dekeyser though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yeah. I thought he was going to sign last season. The extra year didn't hurt Dekeyser though.

I'd guess that the teams gave him some reasonable feedback in terms of where he'd slot in if he were to sign. I wouldn't fault a 21/22 year old guy in choosing another year of college over a season in the minors.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

It was believed the Oilers were all over him last year...but he chose to finish up school...wouldnt be surprised if the Oilers went after him again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
CGY has agreed to terms with college UFA D Kenney Morrison of Western Michigan on 2-yr entry-level contract that takes effect next season.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
is he a similar level prospect to dekeyser? what's a reasonable projection?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
is he a similar level prospect to dekeyser? what's a reasonable projection?

It's hard to say how good a college free agent will project as an NHLer, but I'd say he has some good potential. I see him as a possible top 4 guy. Dekeyser was ahead when he was signed imo.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sounds like he was at the Oilers game last night sitting with the brass and wearing an Oilers hoodie.

Makes me think he's signed or close to signing.

Can anyone describe his play?

I've read he's lacking defensively and in the skating department, but has an absolute cannon of a shot.

Did his defensive play improve over the course of the season?

Maybe we shouldn't have let MacT and Lowe talk to him? The kids BS meter must've been smoking after listening to those 2 :shakehead

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
He's in the perfect system to develop his offensive and defensive games. Nobody utilizes their D-men quite like Calgary.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Maybe we shouldn't have let MacT and Lowe talk to him? The kids BS meter must've been smoking after listening to those 2 :shakehead

You know something went wrong when a life long Oilers fan who is getting pursued by that team decides to instead sign with their biggest rival.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

It might have more to do with the fact Calgary doesn't have a ton of decent defensive prospects.

He likely has a shot on the bottom pairing next year. Although frankly Engellund hasn't looked nearly as bad since he moved into the top 4.

That may be more a reflection of how good Brodie is, but I also think it shows just how awful Smid was. I'd be surprised if Smid is in the top 6 next year - unless his injury was really hindering him all season long.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You know something went wrong when a life long Oilers fan who is getting pursued by that team decides to instead sign with their biggest rival.

Whatever is best for your hockey career. I'd play for the Flames if I can carve out a NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad