RD John Marino - South Shore Kings, USPHL; committed to Harvard (2015, 154th, EDM)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Among the scouting combine attendees without a thread is South Shore RHD and Yale Harvard commit John Marino. To kick off his thread, here's his SBN profile and an excerpt from his coach:
Marino’s coach Scott Harlow certainly believes the ’97 from North Easton, Mass., is up there with any defenseman in the draft, in terms of game-breaking potential.

“He has the most upside of any kid I’ve ever coached. He has a lot of growth left in him,” said Harlow. “The kid thinks the game at a whole other level. His hockey sense is off the charts. It’s right up there with [former Kings] Charlie Coyle, Jimmy Vesey and Chris Wagner, in terms of the little plays he makes, the anticipation he has. If he wants to, he can control every single hockey game.”

Harlow said that the only thing holding back Marino is his sense of selflessness.USPHL

“If he had that killer instinct in him every game, that ‘I want to be the best every shift’ mentality, we’re talking a first round pick,” said Harlow.

“I agree. Sometimes I try to be too unselfish. I’ll give up a puck and not take the shot myself. Sometimes you have to do it yourself and make plays happen,” said Marino. “I do think my game improved a lot, and I took a bigger leadership role in the second half of the season.”

Marino put up 30 points in 54 combined regular season and playoff games in the USPHL Premier Division, closing his third year with the Kings’ top squad.

Last edited:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
FYI he de-committed from Yale in favour of Harvard for 2016. I'm still holding out hope that whoever drafts him suggests that he goes to the CHL instead of NCAA since his commitment is a couple years off so I can watch him in Halifax.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
FYI he de-committed from Yale in favour of Harvard for 2016. I'm still holding out hope that whoever drafts him suggests that he goes to the CHL instead of NCAA since his commitment is a couple years off so I can watch him in Halifax.
Somehow missed that one. Noted.

Per SBN: "His de-commitment from Yale was reportedly partially spurred by the departure of Bulldogs assistant coach Dan Muse who left the program to become the new head coach of the USHL's Chicago Steel."

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013

That would be nice, Halifax could use him on defense but if it did not happen in his draft eligible year doubt it happens this year.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

You couldn't pay me to leave Harvard (or Yale) for the CHL, but that is just me.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
You couldn't pay me to leave Harvard (or Yale) for the CHL, but that is just me.

Yeah, I`m the exact opposite in that if I was a top 100 prospect I would do everything in my power to focus solely on hockey in the environment that is closest to professional hockey, which is the CHL.

To each their own though

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Depends on your outlook. He isn't slated to play there until the year after next so is he happy with playing in the USHL for another year and potentially forgo some development when he could be playing in a better league? Depends on the outlook.

Most people just in general (I know I would) would go to Harvard, but the situation is a little different here. If he was going to play there next year I'd say go for it.

Also, Harvard doesn't give out scholarships but does provide some aid when needed. That's another variable to consider.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Depends on your outlook. He isn't slated to play there until the year after next so is he happy with playing in the USHL for another year and potentially forgo some development when he could be playing in a better league? Depends on the outlook.

Most people just in general (I know I would) would go to Harvard, but the situation is a little different here. If he was going to play there next year I'd say go for it.

Also, Harvard doesn't give out scholarships but does provide some aid when needed. That's another variable to consider.

He played in the United States Premier Hockey League (USPHL) this past season not the United States Hockey League (USHL). The USPHL is considered Tier 3 while the USHL is consider Tier 1 here in the States. He'll still be seeing a nice bump in overall competition.

I can't say for certain as I'm not too familiar with the prospect but that would be quite the jump from Tier 3 to the NCAA which is why I guess he's delaying his enrollment into college.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
He played in the United States Premier Hockey League (USPHL) this past season not the United States Hockey League (USHL). The USPHL is considered Tier 3 while the USHL is consider Tier 1 here in the States. He'll still be seeing a nice bump in overall competition.

I can't say for certain as I'm not too familiar with the prospect but that would be quite the jump from Tier 3 to the NCAA which is why I guess he's delaying his enrollment into college.

USPHL Premier is actually basically Tier 2 at least. It is a very good league and it is miles ahead of the other Tier 3 Junior A leagues.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Yeah, USPHL to NCAA wouldn't be an extraordinary leap. I still remember it as the EJHL, and from those days, several players made the jump straight away-- from what I've heard, the level of competition in the league has only increased since the rebranding.

South Shore is a strong program even if technically Tier 3, too. I'd prefer drafting a player out of South Shore than most prep schools, and prep school players are drafted in abundance each year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He was on The Pipeline Show the other day and pretty much blew off the CHL, but said he would take into consideration what the team that drafts him has to say.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
Ryan Donato's PPG is actually higher in the USHL than the USPHL Premier. and he is making the jump from South Shore (USPHL premier) to Harvard. I actually wonder if Donato is part of the reason Marino is going to Harvard as well?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195235

It says it's considered Tier 3 by USA Hockey on the website.

Either way he'll still be seeing a jump in overall competition going to the USHL.

I mean it is Tier 3. But by actual player skill quality and skill it is closer to Tier 2 or even Tier 1. What makes it Tier 3 is that the players must pay to play but in Tiers 1 and 2 the players pay no fees.

Yeah, USPHL to NCAA wouldn't be an extraordinary leap. I still remember it as the EJHL, and from those days, several players made the jump straight away-- from what I've heard, the level of competition in the league has only increased since the rebranding.

This. This all day. Several players went straight from EJHL to NCAA 1. Now the EJHL is no more with teams joining the EHL and USPHL Premier. The EHL is not quite as good as the EJHL, but still one of the top Tier 3 Junior A leagues. The USPHL Premier is a better league than the EJHL was and it should be no problem making the jump directly.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ryan Donato's PPG is actually higher in the USHL than the USPHL Premier. and he is making the jump from South Shore (USPHL premier) to Harvard. I actually wonder if Donato is part of the reason Marino is going to Harvard as well?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195235

What exactly does that prove? It's just point totals & very limited sample size at that. Why not just compare the overall amount of draft worthy players or ones already drafted & college commitments each year?

My overall point anyway to the OP was that if his goal was to move up to a higher league for next year he still could with the USHL while keeping his college eligibility.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
What exactly does that prove? It's just point totals & very limited sample size at that. Why not just compare the overall amount of draft worthy players or ones already drafted & college commitments each year?

My overall point anyway to the OP was that if his goal was to move up to a higher league for next year he still could with the USHL while keeping his college eligibility.

I just thought it was interesting. I was just saying that if it was a significant drop between USHL and USPHL then he wouldn't have played at a perceived lower level at all.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
If he turns out to be a good player, not only can he graduate with a degree from the best university in the world, he can also get to choose which NHL team he wants to play for. Sounds like a literal dream scenario to me. Even if his hockey career doesn't pan out, he's bound to get a highly coveted, highly paying job just because of where he went to school. Great for him either way.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
VERY quietly having an impressive season in Pittsburgh. Playing a ton and being relied on heavily on the PK.

20gp. 1g. 6a. +6. 8pims. 22hits. 24blks.
18:52 toi. and averaging 2 mins per game on the PK.

Last game almost 5 mins on the PK. I have seen a couple Pens games this season and he impressed me quite a bit. He wont WOW the average fan like the highly skilled rookie dmen in the league this year but when you notice what he does on the ice, you become very impressed.

3 points in his last 3 games and 6 points in last 8 games

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He has been so good for us. Obviously hasn’t been perfect, but in the big picture, he’s been huge. I already was of the opinion that he was going to replace Schultz for us moving forward after the latter presumably leaves in free agency this year, and with Schultz’s unfortunate injury, that time is coming now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
VERY quietly having an impressive season in Pittsburgh. Playing a ton and being relied on heavily on the PK.

20gp. 1g. 6a. +6. 8pims. 22hits. 24blks.
18:52 toi. and averaging 2 mins per game on the PK.

Last game almost 5 mins on the PK. I have seen a couple Pens games this season and he impressed me quite a bit. He wont WOW the average fan like the highly skilled rookie dmen in the league this year but when you notice what he does on the ice, you become very impressed.

3 points in his last 3 games and 6 points in last 8 games

Since Letang has been out, Marino has taken his spot next to Dumo on the top pair and they have done very well together.

Marino has been a godsend for their defense and it’s not an understatement to say he’s a big part of the reason they are holding together, despite so many injuries.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Since Letang has been out, Marino has taken his spot next to Dumo on the top pair and they have done very well together.

Marino has been a godsend for their defense and it’s not an understatement to say he’s a big part of the reason they are holding together, despite so many injuries.

Marino and Pettersson have been huge additions after some of the duds the Pens drafted recently that never panned out (Morrow, Pouliot, etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad