RD Joe Gatenby - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2015 undrafted)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rockets are sure building a really solid team.

Another one to watch for the future, Gatenby is a 16 year old who plays well beyond his years. His offensive game is still in the works, a lot like Haydn Fleury when he was a 16 year old, but I don't think it will be as good as Haydn's is, though this doesn't take anything away from a really impressive defenseman. Has really good defense for a rookie, uses his strengths to steal the puck in the corners. Good at pinning forwards with one hand and using his other hand with stick or skate to clear the puck to a teammate. Don't think he is as smart as Josh Morrissey is, but has that same quality of smartness and stick work defensively.

One thing though I do love about him is his vision and breakout pass. Always has his head up and gives a really good first pass which is important. Also uses this strength in the offensive zone and makes some good backdoor passes to unguarded Rocket players.

Like I said, still early to see what will happen with his progression, but one to look for in the future.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
He's pretty physically solid, too. I've seen him flatten a couple guys with hits. Right now he's a really good, safe defenceman. It will be interesting to see how he progresses next year, as I expect he'll have to step into the Top 4 for the Rockets.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bump.

Has been developing pretty good this season. He is more like Mirco Mueller in terms of playing a smart game than physically punishing you. BUT when he wants, he can deliver some pretty beautiful hits (destroyed McKenzie of the Winterhawks earlier this year). His smartness and ability to read the play makes him have good breakout passing and be a very calm/sound defender. Okay shot and okay skater, some areas he probably needs to improve on in the future. Offensive wise, I doubt he will ever quarterback a PP in the upper leagues, especially considering how many offensive zone starts he had with the Rockets pre-Morrissey/Leon team. He is also prone to pitch offensively at the wrong times leading to odd man rushes, but I believe this will be fixed with more experience. Hard to say how NHL teams value him for the upcoming draft, but could potentially be picked as a bottom 4 defensive-defenseman that could stabilize the defensive aspect for OFD partner.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
A few people were caught off guard I had him as high as I did in my mid-term WHL rankings, coming in at 20 on my board. But I do like him. Has all the tools to really grow and mature into a solid two-way defender. Here's my small blurb on him from my Dec. 31st release.

20 (NR) Joe Gatenby – D – Kelowna Rockets – After being mentioned under “Other Names To Watch” last month, Gatenby makes a nice jump into the 20-hole on the midseason list. While his point production hasn’t quite been there (he’s one of only three Kelowna Rockets regulars without a goal this year) I do like everything about his skillset. He’s a smooth skater, he’s smart, he processes the game quickly, he passes the puck well and he displays some adequate defensive instincts. He’s also got a projectable frame at 6’0 and 177 pounds. He’s a guy that will continue to slowly grow in a winning environment, too.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/12/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-midseason.html

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't see it.

A bit undersized, average skater, hasn't shown any offensive ability, defensive reads are OK but playing pretty sheltered minutes on that team.

If he played anywhere other than Kelowna, I'd consider him a dime-a-dozen middling WHL defender headed to CIS hockey in 3 years. The ridiculous development curves that Kelowna defenders all seem to have make you pause and think, though.

arsmaster*

I don't see it.

A bit undersized, average skater, hasn't shown any offensive ability, defensive reads are OK but playing pretty sheltered minutes on that team.

If he played anywhere other than Kelowna, I'd consider him a dime-a-dozen middling WHL defender headed to CIS hockey in 3 years. The ridiculous development curves that Kelowna defenders all seem to have make you pause and think, though.
I think this is closer to how I feel as well.

Who is he sheltering his primary partner is Cole "plus 160" Martin.

I think he's still a guy who needs a stay at home partner and doesn't do anything particularly well.

If Jesse Lees couldn't get drafted I'm not sure gatenby does.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't see it.

I think this is closer to how I feel as well.

Who is he sheltering his primary partner is Cole "plus 160" Martin.

I think he's still a guy who needs a stay at home partner and doesn't do anything particularly well.

If Jesse Lees couldn't get drafted I'm not sure gatenby does.
I understand your guys' opinion, but I think he's a bit better than what you're giving him credit for. His best strength is his hockey smarts and he has a good amount of this. As we heard it before countless number of times, you cannot teach hockey sense. Of course he will never be an offensive defenseman, definitely won't develop, but I still think he has some NHL talent as a bottom 3 DFD.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Was voted the hardest working player of the year in the WHL.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't see it.

Yeah, that's kind of my impression as well.

And i'm really wary of weighing the "Kelowna D Factor" too heavily. Yes, he's gonna get great coaching in a proven "defenceman factory"...but i'm not really into the idea of going all gung-ho on a guy for purely that reason. And if he wasn't a Rocket, i'm skeptical he'd be a guy getting even a moment of pause. Seems pretty unremarkable.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I understand your guys' opinion, but I think he's a bit better than what you're giving him credit for. His best strength is his hockey smarts and he has a good amount of this. As we heard it before countless number of times, you cannot teach hockey sense. Of course he will never be an offensive defenseman, definitely won't develop, but I still think he has some NHL talent as a bottom 3 DFD.

Was voted the hardest working player of the year in the WHL.

He has the smarts, absolutely, but does he have the intensity? I say this very much as a fan of his.

Who is Gatenby's comparable? His game is 100% cerebral and there are not very many bottom pairing D who fall into that category. I see him projecting as a Josh Gorges type in the NHL as he does not have any offensive skill and he doesn't have a dynamic transition game. He's a good skater, is most often perfect positionally, and he almost always opts for the safe play. In that way, yeah...he screams 'pro,' but at the same time, right now he has too many 'pro' attributes and none of the exciting 'junior' ones. Most of the time he just sneaks in there and chips it out of the zone en route to one of 3 tangible scoring line options...

I've never once watched a game of his and said - wow, that kid has definite NHL potential. At the same time, I don't know anything and there have been hundreds of draft busts and surprises over the years. Why not take a chance on a kid who has been steeped in a winning culture and has practiced/played with a bunch of future NHLers?

also, and I've mentioned this on the Habs board, but apparently this kid got 99% in grade 12 physics this year. score one for the good guys

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Finished the year at #32 on my WHL board, essentially sliding in as a 6th round guy for me.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#32 Joe Gatenby

Team: Kelowna Rockets
Position: D
Shoots: R
Height: 6’0.25
Weight: 176
GP: 65
Goals: 2
Assists: 13
Pts/Gm: 0.23
PIM: 49

Player Analysis: Joe Gatenby is a smart, confident and calculated two-way blueliner for the Kelowna Rockets…owns a strong skating stride…at full speed he really gets low and drives forward, using his glutes as his motor…is smooth in the way he transfers his weight, allowing for excellent edgework and easy 360-degree mobility…a very smooth skater, although his toes do point out a tad during moments of his stride…plays a composed offensive game…pass the puck well and has great composure against the forecheck…makes quick decisions on his outlets and doesn’t attempt to over-handle the puck…both his slapshot and wrist shot are only ok and would be areas he can improve…could do a better job reading the play to get into shooting position quicker and more efficiently…if he has the time and space, his slapshot is quite hard…could stand to be more aggressive regarding his willingness to get up ice and help create tough matchups off the rush, although he did do more of that as the year wore on…is also a calm and smooth defensive player…reads the play well and understands body positioning in his own zone…gap work overall is rather inconsistent but is quite good when he’s playing his best…has a good stick and is good at breaking up shots and passes…gaps and stick placement need to stay on par to make up for his lack of overall reach with his stick as he’s not a particularly long player…is not afraid to play physical and has a good motor away from the puck…doesn’t run himself into bad spots when attempting to hit…spent the last 20 games of the season on the Rockets third defensive pairing alongside Lucas Johansen…was used primarily as a bottom 3 type of guy for Kelowna this year with intermittent special teams play in my viewings, including regular penalty kill usage…is definitely the kind of guy that you can send over the boards in any situation and he won’t hurt you…his style of play reminds me a bit of a guy like Anton Stralman…was named as the WHL’s Hardest Working Player Of The Year in 2014-15…came second in the running for the WHL’s Scholastic Player Of The Year this season…was selected in the 2nd round, 34th overall, by the Kelowna Rockets at the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft…overall I don’t mind Gatenby’s game…he’s surely not the most flashy defender but he makes quick decisions, has good sense and understands the 200-foot game…his play also got stronger as the year wore on, being especially good during the Rockets drive to a WHL title…his point totals would probably be higher if he was on any other WHL team as it would have led to an increased role…he will likely play top pairing minutes next season for Kelowna with Bowey, Morrissey and Martin all moving on…with peak development I think he has the makings of being a solid #4 or #5 guy who can do a little bit of everything at the NHL level…while I rate him as roughly a 6th round prospect, I will be interested to see where he ends up going in the draft…if he happens to go undrafted, I would fully expect him to draw plenty of NHL camp invite interest and subsequent draft or contract interest in the coming years…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad