Value of: RD - Jan Rutta (2.750 x 1yr)

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
With everyone hoping to go Marlin fishing in July for RD (Pesce, Roy, Demelo, etc...), Rutta is a smaller fish that caught my eye.

He's got 1yr left at a reasonable salary, and is on a terrible SJS team. I believe he could be a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing defensive Dman on more than a few teams.

As a Sens fan, I'd like to know the asking price as a Hamonic replacement (Ham becomes the 7D), but I'd like to see if others would join the pond as well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
With everyone hoping to go Marlin fishing in July for RD (Pesce, Roy, Demelo, etc...), Rutta is a smaller fish that caught my eye.

He's got 1yr left at a reasonable salary, and is on a terrible SJS team. I believe he could be a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing defensive Dman on more than a few teams.

As a Sens fan, I'd like to know the asking price as a Hamonic replacement (Ham becomes the 7D), but I'd like to see if others would join the pond as well.

Sharks probably would give him away for a 4th.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He was one of our better D this year, though obviously that’s not saying much… I’d move him for a late round pick if Benning is healthy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
From Ottawa right now, I'd want either their 4th rounder this year or their 3rd rounder next year.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I could see Buffalo doing it as a vet to add to their group with a bunch of youth that can just be a guy and allow Power or Byram to carry a pairing.

Reactions: Chainshot

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not much value really. Being a RHD with some size and reasonable defensively means he'll always have a "market" if they want to deal him. But not a strong market. He's not the guy teams go out "Marlin fishing" for. He's the guy a team offers a mid/late pick or struggling prospect for as dusk approaches on the offseason after they strike out fishing and just buy some goofy thing from some drifter guy on the dock so they can take it home and pretend they caught something.

Especially retained down which Sharks could certainly afford to do...he'd have usefulness to someone. But bottom-pairing D are just not what most teams are looking for. Their value doesn't peak until the deadline. Which is very likely what the Sharks will see, and just hang onto him...get some more minutes out of him since somebody has to play for them again next year. Then get a better pick than they'd get in the summer anyway. Assuming he stays healthy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not much value really. Being a RHD with some size and reasonable defensively means he'll always have a "market" if they want to deal him. But not a strong market. He's not the guy teams go out "Marlin fishing" for. He's the guy a team offers a mid/late pick or struggling prospect for as dusk approaches on the offseason after they strike out fishing and just buy some goofy thing from some drifter guy on the dock so they can take it home and pretend they caught something.

Especially retained down which Sharks could certainly afford to do...he'd have usefulness to someone. But bottom-pairing D are just not what most teams are looking for. Their value doesn't peak until the deadline. Which is very likely what the Sharks will see, and just hang onto him...get some more minutes out of him since somebody has to play for them again next year. Then get a better pick than they'd get in the summer anyway. Assuming he stays healthy.
The Sharks don't have a retention slot this season so it'd be a third team retaining to make something happen. Considering the value Rutta probably gives standalone in a trade (a 3rd or 4th), asking another team to retain for them pretty much negates the value to do the deal.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Sharks don't have a retention slot this season so it'd be a third team retaining to make something happen. Considering the value Rutta probably gives standalone in a trade (a 3rd or 4th), asking another team to retain for them pretty much negates the value to do the deal.

Ahhh...i totally forgot that they retained on that Hertl trade for the rest of forever. :laugh:

That makes it even more likely to be more of a deadline deal i'd think. When potential "cap intermediary" teams will have a better notion of what they can get for retaining cap in various deals for the brief remainder of the season. Would make retaining on Rutta attractive to a team fairly tight to the cap having a majorly disappointing season (happens every year). Compared to retaining max on some big ticket rental to make it all fit.

But at $2.75M...that becomes a lot more for a team to fit in all year for a bottom-pairing guy. Might still have takers, but not at much of a price at all. Which probably just makes even more sense for the Sharks to keep him around and wait for his value to go up at the deadline.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Sharks also want to have a somewhat playable D. I wouldnt trade him until TDL unless you come in offering like a second.

If we acquired a better RHD in the fishing hunt, then yeah a third or something.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks also want to have a somewhat playable D. I wouldnt trade him until TDL unless you come in offering like a second.

If we acquired a better RHD in the fishing hunt, then yeah a third or something.
Is the difference between somewhat playable and not really Jan Rutta though? Their right side would still include guys like Emberson, Benning, and Burroughs from last season where they were awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad