RD Jacob Trouba - US NTDP, USHL (2012, 9th overall, Winnipeg)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So I'm trying to compose very basic scouting reports of the top prospects of the 2012 NHL Draft, and I noticed that Trouba didn't have a thread. Can anyone give me some information about him?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Cannon from the point, plays with a mean streak. That's what I remember about him when I saw him with Compuware.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Trouba is at the head of the class for the USNTDP draft prospects. The right-handed shooting defenseman brings a physical edge to the skills that make him an elite prospect. He has very quick feet that are always moving to ensure that he has good position on the player he is defending against. Trouba has a quick stick that he uses to poke check the puck off the attacking forward and the presence to gather in the loose puck and quickly move it to an open teammate. The quickness in his hands that allow for the poke check also are evident in that Trouba has the ability to move the puck from forehand to backhand and vice versa in order to protect the puck from the opposition. From there he buys time to make the right pass to his partner or to an open forward. Trouba is also very calm and composed with the puck and passes well. He also possesses a strong shot from the point. As mentioned, Trouba blends these skills with a willingness to deliver text book body checks either along the boards or in open ice. Trouba has been compared to Cam Fowler and while he may not possess the natural offensive flair that Fowler has, he’s a more polished two-way defender at this point in his development.

From:http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-nhl-draft-rankings-preliminary-top-30-skaters-115/

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Jacob Trouba - Defense - 2012 NHL Entry Draft

H and W: 6'2 ft 190 lbs
Shoots: R
Plays for: Univ. of Michigan
National Team: USA
Birthyear: 1994-02-26
Birthplace: Rochester, MN, USA

Trouba is a good two-way defenseman who also plays with an edge. He is slated to go in the top ten in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Last edited:

spfan

May 4, 2009
Top 10 pick for sure.
2-way d-man and doesn't shy away from the physical game.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Top 10 pick for sure.
2-way d-man and doesn't shy away from the physical game.

Not sure about top ten yet, there are a lot of capable d men in this draft, and teams tend to shy away from dmen with top picks because they take so long to develop. There seems to be a lack of forward strength this year though out of the top few, so more D men are likely to go top 20 than usual.

Trouba will not be taken before Murray and Dumba, thats an easy prediction.

I'd not even think about taking Trouba before Ceci or Reilly either, but I'm not an NHL GM either. Reilly is hurt which may affect his status, but he was putting up great numbers beforehand. And Ceci played well enough to make the WJ's for Canada, but seems to have been beat out due to experience, and most other players on this list did not even get an invite to their countries camp.

I'd personally rank Trouba in the third group of Dmen which includes Reinhart. Koekkoek and Matta may also prove to be in there, but I've heard such differing views of these players its hard to gauge as I do not get to see them often (if at all with Reinhart).

Poulliot and Finn are also pushing, and who knows, maybe Ebert can right the ship.

What makes this hard for me to rank though is Trouba really is playing in a second rate league, if not third rate, compared to major junior. I get to see Ceci 30 times this year against guys who will be NHLer's very soon, and many of the other guys at least once in person and several on TV. I can see how they compare against near NHL ready talent.

A number of GM's will look at the talent Trouba has and the potential, but are they willing to risk a top ten when they have proven CHL talent on board? I would not. I jst find when looking at past drafts, the CHL based D men are usually chosen in an order that 5 years down the road at least looks acceptable. US HS D men, not so much, its a bit more random. There is obvious talent there, flushing it out on draft day is a bit more of a guessing game.

Personally I think if Trouba had decided to move to the CHL this year (a la Fowler two years ago) he would have done more to help his draft status.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Highschool d-man?

He is a veteran of program that has sent numerous kids to the NHL, he will be at a college program (probably for one season) that has also sent numerous players to the NHL. He is playing in the premier tournament in the world that almost exclusively features 18 and 19 year olds and he is in it as a 17 year old.

You might want to google NTDP and take a look at their alumni list..lol third rate highschool league.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
All I know is that he has an awesome name. Trouba in Czech literally means "oven" but is also used as an insult meaning an "idiot" or "moron."

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Not sure about top ten yet, there are a lot of capable d men in this draft, and teams tend to shy away from dmen with top picks because they take so long to develop. There seems to be a lack of forward strength this year though out of the top few, so more D men are likely to go top 20 than usual.

Every independent scouting service that I know of has Trouba in the top 10 right now, so I don't think it's s stretch to say that he belongs there.

IkeaMonkey*

What makes this hard for me to rank though is Trouba really is playing in a second rate league, if not third rate, compared to major junior. I can see how they compare against near NHL ready talent.

US HS D men, not so much, its a bit more random. There is obvious talent there, flushing it out on draft day is a bit more of a guessing game.

LOLWUT?!

The U18s mostly play games against college teams. I know there is a lot of "CHL vs NCAA" debate, but apparently you have it all figured out that NCAA D1 is clearly inferior given that it is "third rate" to your amazing, "first rate" CHL.

Unless of course you are calling the USHL "third rate", which again, is incredibly uninformed.

Third...since when is he a US HS D man?

Oh lord.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Trouba will not be taken before Murray and Dumba, thats an easy prediction.

I'd not even think about taking Trouba before Ceci or Reilly either, but I'm not an NHL GM either. Reilly is hurt which may affect his status, but he was putting up great numbers beforehand. And Ceci played well enough to make the WJ's for Canada, but seems to have been beat out due to experience, and most other players on this list did not even get an invite to their countries camp.

I'd personally rank Trouba in the third group of Dmen which includes Reinhart. Koekkoek and Matta may also prove to be in there, but I've heard such differing views of these players its hard to gauge as I do not get to see them often (if at all with Reinhart).

Poulliot and Finn are also pushing, and who knows, maybe Ebert can right the ship.

What makes this hard for me to rank though is Trouba really is playing in a second rate league, if not third rate, compared to major junior. I get to see Ceci 30 times this year against guys who will be NHLer's very soon, and many of the other guys at least once in person and several on TV. I can see how they compare against near NHL ready talent.

A number of GM's will look at the talent Trouba has and the potential, but are they willing to risk a top ten when they have proven CHL talent on board? I would not. I jst find when looking at past drafts, the CHL based D men are usually chosen in an order that 5 years down the road at least looks acceptable. US HS D men, not so much, its a bit more random. There is obvious talent there, flushing it out on draft day is a bit more of a guessing game.

Personally I think if Trouba had decided to move to the CHL this year (a la Fowler two years ago) he would have done more to help his draft status.

So, you don't really know anything about Trouba or the league he plays in?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Highschool d-man?

He is a veteran of program that has sent numerous kids to the NHL, he will be at a college program (probably for one season) that has also sent numerous players to the NHL. He is playing in the premier tournament in the world that almost exclusively features 18 and 19 year olds and he is in it as a 17 year old.

You might want to google NTDP and take a look at their alumni list..lol third rate highschool league.

Does anyone really think the NTDP can take on a top level OHL team and stand a chance?

I agree it has moved a lot of players to the NHL, but not close to the number of players the CHL has. Its not who will be good 5 years from now, its who is good now, and the fact is CHL players play a much higher level of competition night in and out.

Just take a look from last year. 10 CHL players taken before a single USHL player. And the total count from the first round was 3 USHL players vs 20 CHL players. 2010 saw five players in the first round from USHL vs 17 CHL players (including the first 8 choices).
2009 five from USHL in the first round.

And almost none of them drafted through those three years had had a regular shift in the NHL (138 games I see roughly from 13 players) while CHL players have that almost from last year.

The simple fact is the CHL is composed of older more NHL ready talent top to bottom. The draft and stats easily point to that.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Does anyone really think the NTDP can take on a top level OHL team and stand a chance?

I agree it has moved a lot of players to the NHL, but not close to the number of players the CHL has. Its not who will be good 5 years from now, its who is good now, and the fact is CHL players play a much higher level of competition night in and out.

Just take a look from last year. 10 CHL players taken before a single USHL player. And the total count from the first round was 3 USHL players vs 20 CHL players. 2010 saw five players in the first round from USHL vs 17 CHL players (including the first 8 choices).

And almost none of them drafted through those three years had had a regular shift in the NHL (138 games I see roughly from 13 players) while CHL players have that almost from last year.

The simple fact is the CHL is composed of older more NHL ready talent top to bottom. The draft and stats easily point to that.

lol I scout for a QMJHL team and I love the NTDP program, I think that team can take a CHL team, that team is a great team, great training program and produces big time talent...they win or are contenders in some of the biggest tournaments in the world for international play...I have personally watched the NTDP program play many times and the whole program is great...please get more informed before making statements like this...though I still think the USHL is a step bellow the CHL the USHL is still a good league and the NTDP program is always playing in major tournaments around the world making it an amazing oppertunity for players.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Here's the rosters from last year's U18s:

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/244/IHM2440CAN_33_3_0.pdf

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/244/IHM2440USA_33_1_0.pdf

Granted, the U.S. has a distinct advantage in that tourney, but you don't think given the results over the past three years the USNTDP (at least the U18 team), if kept together could compete well in say the OHL?

IkeaMonkey*

So basically, your question reads, "Does anyone really think that a bunch of 17 year old kids who have played maybe two years together, tops, can compete with a team full of players who are older, more experienced and have been playing together, sometimes for four years?"

Oh, that's a great question, I'll get back to you on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad