RD Jacob Cederholm - HV71, SWE JRS (2016, 97th, WPG)

sully097

Mar 16, 2015
Edmonton
Jacob Cederholm:
6'3 181lbs
Right Handed Defenseman
HV71 (SuperElit)
FC: 25th
HockeyProspects: Unranked
DraftGeek: 17th

After seeing Swedish defenseman like Erik Karlsson (15th Overall in 2008), Oscar Klefbom (19th Overall in 2011), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (6th Overall in 2009), and John Klingberg (131st Overall in 2010) being steals in there draft year. Jacob Cederholm will be another name to add to that list. He currently sits at 6'3 181lbs and is playing against men in the SHL. After coming off of a silver medal performance with Sweden in the Ivan Hlinka memorial, Jacob is ready to the steps needed to become a corner stone NHL defenseman. He's a big, strong defender who plays a strong two way game with defensive upside. After watching him play at the Hlinka's I immediately loved the way he played and they way he could shutdown opponents. He brings along a big strong body that a lot of players his age weren't able to get around. He is a very reliable defense who doesn't take too many risks with the puck in his own zone. Another thing I really liked about him was that he had a really long stride and he used it to his advantage by winning races to the puck and angling players out along the boards. Shows decent puck moving abilities and was a player who was stuck onto the PP unit the odd time.

Now down to the question of why I think he will be the steal of the draft.

Jacob is coming off of a very strong performance in the Ivan Hlinka's and is ready to take the step to be a full time defender in the SHL this year with HV71. He spent a majority of last year with the U18 and U20 team, but played 3 games with the top team. This year he looks stronger and more rounded out defensively. As everyone has seen through past drafts, Swedish defenders groom quiet well in the SHL and become very successful in the NHL. Now that's not the only reason I believe he will be a steal, he's also a right handed shot... now that may not be a big deal in some peoples eyes but currently in the NHL everyone is looking for those right handed defenders who can log minutes and move the puck. Now while I think Cederholm could use come help offensively and with puck movement, he's going to be coming off of a season playing against men and that will help him with the transition over to the NHL. He showed he can log minutes at the Ivan Hlinka's by being overplayed and being completely relied on during the final 5 minutes of every game for Sweden. Hes already sitting at 6'3 181lbs at the age of 17 and will most likely grow into 6'5-6'6, if he can fill out his body, he could possess NHL size that will put him ahead of players in his draft year.

Comparing him to other D in his draft year.

Currently there are 4-6 defenders who could go ahead of Jacob Cederholm in the draft. First Jakob Chychrun, a very strong defender who played huge minutes for Sarnia and will without a doubt be a top pick that will excel in the NHL... I do worry about his injuries though. Second is Chad Krys, an American defender who recently committed to USNDTP, he will most likely be a top 10 pick in the draft and shows signs of a good two way defender in the NHL. Next is Jake Bean, hes another good defender who skates quite well but does not always make the right decision with the puck. Kale Clague, most likely will have a great year with Brandon and was by far the top defender for Canada at the Ivan's, potential top 10 pick. Olli Joulevi, Finnish defender who will show what he has with the London Knights and at the WJC, heard big things on this guy. Charlie McAvoy, he will spend the year with Boston University and will be highly touted going into the draft. Lastly Dante Fabbro, gonna be playing with Penticton in the BCHL and will most likely take time to develop into a top NHL defender. I did leave Sean Day off this because I don't think he will do anything to raise his draft stock. The one thing that i find separates Cederholm from all of them is the experience he will get in the SHL and how that will help his translate over compared to the CHL or USHL or BCHL, I do think the NCAA is one of the best to translate over from but the SHL is up there.

Please give me your opinion on what you think
Currently trying to work on my writing abilities

Last edited by a moderator:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Could sneak into the first round like Gabriel Carlsson did this year. I'm personally not a big fan, he just doesn't have the puck moving ability you would like to see in a 1st rounder. Jacob Moverare is IMO the best Swedish D in next years draft and I can't say I'm a huge fan of him either.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Brother to Anton Cederholm (Vancouver Canucks) and comes from the same small village in Sweden with a population less than 2,000 as Hampus Lindholm (Anaheim Ducks), Daniel Zaar (Columbus Blue Jackets) and Niklas Hansson (Dallas Stars). Pretty impressive. Will keep an eye out for him this year.

sully097

Mar 16, 2015
Edmonton
I didn't mind Moverare at the Ivan's, thought Cederholm was a wall. Clague, Kiemelainen, and Hajek looked really good aswell

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Could sneak into the first round like Gabriel Carlsson did this year. I'm personally not a big fan, he just doesn't have the puck moving ability you would like to see in a 1st rounder. Jacob Moverare is IMO the best Swedish D in next years draft and I can't say I'm a huge fan of him either.

How does Moverare compare to Cederholm? I haven't been able to watch either outside of the Hlinka Memorial and would love a more detailed report on these players, their strengths/weaknesses and how they compare. I did came away liking Moverare more at the Hlinkas but his mobility didn't seem great. Cederholm was decent but nothing spectacular in the games I watched.

Berglund1313

May 22, 2008
Sweden
Brother to Anton Cederholm (Vancouver Canucks) and comes from the same small village in Sweden with a population less than 2,000 as Hampus Lindholm (Anaheim Ducks), Daniel Zaar (Columbus Blue Jackets) and Niklas Hansson (Dallas Stars). Pretty impressive. Will keep an eye out for him this year.

No he is Born in Helsingborg Population 125k not 2k.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
No he is Born in Helsingborg Population 125k not 2k.

I didn't mean where he was born but rather where he learnt to play hockey and that was in Jonstorp, just like his brother and the other guys I mentioned...

NotAlexHood

Nov 4, 2015
Definitely has an NHL-style game. Good breakout passing and puck support in the offensive zone, and every zone for that matter. I'm really interested in seeing how he develops and how quickly he gets noticed. His game is subtle, but being 6'3", right-handed shot, and playing against men will get him noticed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad