RD Ian Moore - Harvard, NCAA (2020, 67th, ANA)

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
I've heard he's the top prospect playing prep hockey in the northeast, and going to Chicago next year is a smart step in development as the NCAA is a huge jump from prep hockey. Not sure where he is expected to go in the draft though, 3rd round maybe?

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
The Steel will be well stocked next year. They also have coming in forward Tomas Mazura who was drafted by Edmonton last year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Smart move by Moore. He'll get a huge role with the Steel next season and then head to Harvard after that when Reilly Walsh - and possibly Jack Rathbone - will be gone, opening up a lot of opportunity with the Crimson.

Chicago was a historically dominant USHL team last year. They're losing a lot of talent (Power, Brisson, St. Phalle, Colangelo, Fontaine, Farrell, etc.) but they're definitely retooling as well.

They're returning Matt Coronato and Ryan Ufko. They've added Adam Fantilli and Jake Livanavage, and while they had to give up their first two USHL draft picks to do so, they still added 2 first found draft selections due to previous trades. And they also added an overage Tomas Mazura, along with Luca Fantilli, and now Ian Moore.

One interesting player to follow is Mackie Samoskevich. I've seen conflicting reports on what he's doing next season. As a late '02 and 2021 draft eligible, I hope he stays with Chicago for his draft season rather than heading to Michigan as originally planned. He'll get a guaranteed prime role (he was a bit buried behind older players on the Steel this season) unlike at Michigan. And with Fantilli and Coronato, there's going to be a lot of scouts watching the Steel every night, even more so if Samoskevich is there. And while the Wolverines need a lot of help at forward (they were largely led by seniors and their forward group wasn't great anyway), they're also returning Beecher and they have a lot of older and/or touted freshman forwards coming in like Bordeleau, Brisson, Johnson, Lapointe, etc. If I'm Samoskevich, I'd rather be playing guaranteed huge minutes with the Steel than likely bottom 6 minutes with the Wolverines.

As an aside, Ryan Hardy is definitely one of the top names to watch in USAH circles going forward. Young guy, but he's had a lot of success in a short run with the NTDP (responsible for the '97-99 classes) and now he's working wonders with the Steel.

Last edited:

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I've heard he's the top prospect playing prep hockey in the northeast, and going to Chicago next year is a smart step in development as the NCAA is a huge jump from prep hockey. Not sure where he is expected to go in the draft though, 3rd round maybe?

It appears that he is a VERY fast-rising prospect... 3rd round starting to sound low. I'd say over/under now is about pick #45-50.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I'm genuinely interested to know if there is any source to this or your own speculation?
Little bit of both - I attended one game toward end of year and heard it there from both scouts and parents. Smax lost that game but they were different team with him on ice. Also sounds like media rankings have him rising considerably due to scout buzz, which reaffirms what I heard. And both Chicago Steel and Harvard have pretty good track records on finding talented d-men.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Concord, Massachusetts native Ian Moore was drafted by the USHL’s Chicago Steel and the QMJHL’s Drummondville Voltigeurs, but he opted to continue to play high school hockey for St. Mark’s. The defender put up 12 goals and 34 assists for 46 points in just 28 games with the team and was named to the USHS First Team All-New England Team (East). He also appeared in one game for the US National Team Development Program. Moore also played two games for the Boston Jr. Bruins in the NCDC, as well as 10 games for the Boston Little Bruins in the EHF Under-18. He scored six goals and five assists for 11 points. Moore played for Team Kelly at the USA Hockey S-17 Selection Camp. He put up one goal in five games.

Moore also spent the 2017-18 season with St. Mark’s. He put up 16 goals and 20 assists for 36 points in 31 games. Moore has indicated that he will play for the Steel in the USHL next year. He will then move up to NCAA Hockey, where he is expected to join the Harvard Crimson for the 2021-22 season.

Our report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/07/01/ian-moore-scouting-report/

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can someone please explain why he hasn't been playing for Chicago?

He played one game, so it’s likely an injury or COVID. He was listed as a scratch for the most recent game.

Specifics are hard to get for USHL teams. Most of these teams don’t have beat reporters, and especially a team like Chicago in a big city.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I read he was only on the second pairing.

He was, but the first pair guy is pretty good and likely will be drafted no later in the 2021 draft than Moore went in 2020, so it’s not as bad as it may seem. And Ufko was with the team last year, so that helps his chances to be higher on the depth chart.

But if Moore outplays Ufko, he’ll play more than him. I don’t think Ufko has a lock on the 1RHD spot.

Reactions: AngelDuck and Kalv

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not to derail the discussion but how has Ian Moore looked so far this year? His numbers have been much better over the past 4-5 games compared to the first 5-6 games but does he pass the eye test so far?

Moving this to the proper thread for multiple purposes.

Moore is just okay from what I see. He’s above average but not great defensively, he skates at a pro average level with good size, and he has enough puck skill but isn’t an offensive guy. There’s a definite NHL ceiling, but not a high one. He’s a third rounder, so it’s not a bad gamble. I definitely don’t see a first round/early second round draft slot that was talked about in the lead up to the draft, but third round seems appropriate.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
So he'll make his NHL debut in the 2026 season with a significant risk that he goes UFA?
Nostradamus over here. And there's no guarantee he even makes the league. UFA eligible this summer and he probably goes back to Harvard for his senior year and then runs out the clock to sign with whomever in summer 2025.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad