RD Helge Grans (2020, 35th, LAK; traded to PHI)

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Could he become better then Dahlin or is that just crazy talk? And please Sweden develop forwards too. It would almost be better to put a whole line with Ds on the national team instead of forwards.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Could he become better then Dahlin or is that just crazy talk? And please Sweden develop forwards too. It would almost be better to put a whole line with Ds on the national team instead of forwards.
He got caught up in the moment :laugh:, doubt we'll see a dman prospect like Dahlin in a very long time. Grans is dope, though.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I really like Helge Grans as a prospect and think he could be drafted in the first round this year if a team likes him enough, though the second round sounds more likely right now. Any team that gets him after the 20th pick or so will have done a good job, provided no interesting fallers are available at that spot, as a 6'1-6'3 defenseman that's a good skater, thinks the game well and can straight-up play in both sides of the rink usually is a nice selection.

There's a lot of little things to improve in Grans' game, but he's really solid overall and has a decent shot at being a top 4 defenseman in the NHL if all goes well. I also like that he's shown improvement defensively this season, it showcases maturity and understanding, important qualities for the development of young players.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What type of player does he project to be those that have actually watched him?
He reminds me of Hampus Lindholm. Not saying he’ll be that good, but I think highly of him. Should be the second defenseman off the board if you ask me. Solid all around defenseman.

Reactions: Leafs n Prospects

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
He reminds me of Hampus Lindholm. Not saying he’ll be that good, but I think highly of him. Should be the second defenseman off the board if you ask me. Solid all around defenseman.

Yeah, I agree. I've seen some people that are oddly really down on him, but I also see him as the 2nd best D in the draft (maybe 3rd best).

6/24/20 edit: He's actually dropped for me after catching up on some games, I now have him as the #8/9 D in the draft.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He needs to sort out some things in his game but I like Grans a lot. Great physical tools, really good on the PP. I see him as a much bigger, stronger version of Timothy Liljegren. Slightly worse skater but he covers a lot of ice.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Scouting report here

Helge Grans Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #34 - Last Word on Hockey

Swedish defenceman Helge Grans split his year between the Malmo Redhawks in the SHL and playing for their junior team in the Swedish J20 league. As a 17-year-old playing in Sweden’s top men’s league, his minutes and thus his impact was limited. He put up one goal and two assists for three points in 21 games. In 27 games in the junior league, Grans scored four goals and 23 assists for 27 points. He finished with the most assists by a defenceman in the J20 South League. He also added one assist in five games at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning a bronze medal.

In 2018-19, Grans played five games in the SHL as a 16-year-old. He also appeared in two games in the Champions Hockey League. He put up four goals and six assists for 10 points in 11 games at the Under-18 level. Grans also scored five goals and 12 assists for 17 points in 34 games in the Under-20 league. Grans also appeared on the international stage. He put up two assists in six games at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, helping the Swedish team to win a bronze medal.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I am praying the Ducks get him with their second 1st. He is perfect for the Ducks.
Bob Murray and co. clearly think Grans will still be available at the end of the 1st or they wouldn't have flown over to scout him. Unfortunately for the Ducks I think they are going to just miss out on Drysdale in the top 5 as well as whichever one of Grans/Schneider/Barron is left when Colorado are on the board at #28. Avs need to top up their RHD depth to ensure they have a long-term succession plan in place for Johnson (already declining and an UFA in 2023). Topi Niemela should be a nice consolation prize for Anaheim though.

That said, if Bob Murray wants to be really savvy about RHD's this draft he'll try to trade Rakell to Colorado in return for Timmins and the #28 pick, thereby picking up an NHL ready top 4 D prospect along with ensuring that Anaheim can pick a good RHD at #28 instead of Colorado. Would be risky for Colorado to sacrifice RHD depth like that, but it might be worth it if a top 4 RHD can be added via trade or free agency (eg. Pietrangelo).

Reactions: majormajor

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Timmins and the 28th pick for Rakell? Dont see Colorado doing that one. Anyway sounds like a solid player, seems like he could anchor a pair with an offensive LD as a partner. He looks rangy like Methot. Who would you compare him to stylistically in the NHL?

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Timmins and the 28th pick for Rakell? Dont see Colorado doing that one. Anyway sounds like a solid player, seems like he could anchor a pair with an offensive LD as a partner. He looks rangy like Methot. Who would you compare him to stylistically in the NHL?

The more I seen of him, the more I'm getting Cody Franson vibes.

I was higher on him earlier in the year after seeing him just through SHL games, where he was playing a more simple, straight-forward game. But when I watched him in his own age groups, u20 domestic league and u18 international play, his defensive game and decision making looked worse than in the SHL. As he tried to open up his play, he seemed to expose a myriad of IQ, puck handling, an defending issues.

I think the truth for him is somewhere in the middle of the his SHL play and u18 play, as it wouldn't be the first time a D that has spent most of the year playing pros then looks questionable when transitioning back to u18 play.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The more I see of him, the more I'm getting Cody Franson vibes.

I was higher on him earlier in the year after seeing him just through SHL games, where he was playing a more simple, straight-forward game. But when I watched him in his own age groups, u20 domestic league and u18 international play, his defensive game and decision making looked worse than in the SHL. As he tried to open up his play, he seemed to expose a myriad of IQ, puck handling, an defending issues.

I think the truth for him is somewhere in the middle of the his SHL play and u18 play, as it wouldn't be the first time a D that has spent most of the year playing pros then looks questionable when transitioning back to u18 play.

His U18 international play is a head scratcher, he was absolutely fantastic at the U17 level, then something happened from the jump to U18.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
seems like he could anchor a pair with an offensive LD as a partner. He looks rangy like Methot. Who would you compare him to stylistically in the NHL?

Just going off of Draft Dynasty's video, he's plenty rangy but the polar opposite of Methot in terms of strength. Grans could add 25 lb of muscle and still be half that strong.

His offensive capability is definitely better developed than his defense. I originally had the idea of him being a rangy top 4 complement like Methot, but from the video it seems he's a potential #3 that can quarterback a second PP but might be a defensive liability. How he'll be defensively as a pro is a big mystery, he's got a very long way to go.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just going off of Draft Dynasty's video, he's plenty rangy but the polar opposite of Methot in terms of strength. Grans could add 25 lb of muscle and still be half that strong.

His offensive capability is definitely better developed than his defense. I originally had the idea of him being a rangy top 4 complement like Methot, but from the video it seems he's a potential #3 that can quarterback a second PP but might be a defensive liability. How he'll be defensively as a pro is a big mystery, he's got a very long way to go.

Yes I saw the video, boat loads of potential by the looks of it. I like his videos but I think he doesnt value size and skill enough. While nit picking on traits that can be developed. His strength will come, he is a lanky 17 year old. Defensive reads and positioning also come with reps. I think in the right development system he could really hit. Agreed he isnt a methot but his skating is similar for a man his size. Exciting prospect.

Good fit for the sens in the 2nd round if he makes it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes I saw the video, boat loads of potential by the looks of it. I like his videos but I think he doesnt value size and skill enough. While nit picking on traits that can be developed. His strength will come, he is a lanky 17 year old. Defensive reads and positioning also come with reps. I think in the right development system he could really hit. Agreed he isnt a methot but his skating is similar for a man his size. Exciting prospect.

Good fit for the sens in the 2nd round if he makes it.

I don't think Yanic was devaluing Grans, it seems like he still likes the player. It's just that Grans is going to need a few years.

I do like him for the Sens, possibly at #33. We still don't know how Bernard Docker and Thomson will do (who else is there at RHD?), and there really aren't many RHD in this draft. In the top two rounds it's just Drysdale, Schneider, Grans, Barron, Niemela, and Villeneuve. I can imagine several of them going too early just because of scarcity.

And I get the appeal of finding a rangy RHD complement for Chabot, maybe that could be Grans.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Scouting report here

Helge Grans Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #34 - Last Word on Hockey

Swedish defenceman Helge Grans split his year between the Malmo Redhawks in the SHL and playing for their junior team in the Swedish J20 league. As a 17-year-old playing in Sweden’s top men’s league, his minutes and thus his impact was limited. He put up one goal and two assists for three points in 21 games. In 27 games in the junior league, Grans scored four goals and 23 assists for 27 points. He finished with the most assists by a defenceman in the J20 South League. He also added one assist in five games at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning a bronze medal.

In 2018-19, Grans played five games in the SHL as a 16-year-old. He also appeared in two games in the Champions Hockey League. He put up four goals and six assists for 10 points in 11 games at the Under-18 level. Grans also scored five goals and 12 assists for 17 points in 34 games in the Under-20 league. Grans also appeared on the international stage. He put up two assists in six games at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, helping the Swedish team to win a bronze medal.
The description of Grans' defensive game in your scouting report seems to be completely at odds with the assessment by Draft Dynasty in his video. In DD's video he comes across as being extremely poor at gap control and pivotting, and also seems to lack IQ defensively with regards to positioning and timing. I certainly don't see a player who is "very good defensively", though with some good coaching he could possibly develop into more of a solid two-way Dman.

"Defensive Game
Grans is very good defensively. His strong lateral movement and good balance make him very hard to beat one-on-one. He maintains good gap control and if a forward gets himself into the wrong position, Grans can deliver a big hit. He stays disciplined though, as Grans does not get out of position looking for those hits. Grans is effective at cutting down passing lanes with his long stick and his size. He is also willing to put his body on the line to block shots. One area that will need to be improved though is that he can sometimes be inconsistent in moving the puck. He will make the occasional bad giveaway and needs to clean this up going forward. Grans battles hard on the boards and in front of the net. This is an area he can improve in as he gets stronger."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad