RD Ethan Bear - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 124th, EDM)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
i am happy a thread has started for him. Solid dman that can do really anything. Kills penalties, plays the PP and just plays real solid defense. He is at most 6'0 but I think that is still a bit of a stretch. He has alot of offensive potential and has ability to QB a PP if need be. Very reliable dman. He played for team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka and had a solid tournament. Look for his offensive numbers to rise significantly once Shea Theodore is returned to Seattle from Anaheim. He played alot on the #1 PP with Theodore all last season as a 16 year old

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
i am happy a thread has started for him. Solid dman that can do really anything. Kills penalties, plays the PP and just plays real solid defense. He is at most 6'0 but I think that is still a bit of a stretch. He has alot of offensive potential and has ability to QB a PP if need be. Very reliable dman. He played for team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka and had a solid tournament. Look for his offensive numbers to rise significantly once Shea Theodore is returned to Seattle from Anaheim. He played alot on the #1 PP with Theodore all last season as a 16 year old

As far as I remember, he was on the 2nd PP with Adam Henry. The first PP was usually 4 F's and Theodore. Still, with Henry as his set-up guy, he unleashed a lot of powerful shots from the point on the power play. Certainly lots of potential there.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I have him as a 2nd, at best, right now. Haven't seen him much live, so I'm sure others have a better insight into his game.

He's currently injured after taking some big punches in a scrap about 10 days ago.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Plays a safe solid game, mature beyond his years, but I don't think there is a lot of talent in his game to be honest. Wouldn't be a top 90 selection for me in his current state. Pysyk is a good comparison as both are defensive-minded safe players and you can see the difference in talent level between both of them clearly.

arsmaster*

I have him as a 2nd, at best, right now. Haven't seen him much live, so I'm sure others have a better insight into his game.

He's currently injured after taking some big punches in a scrap about 10 days ago.

He sure was bloody after that one, just tender? Or is there a broken orbital there?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He sure was bloody after that one, just tender? Or is there a broken orbital there?

They haven't announced anything yet so have to assume noting was broken aka needing surgery. I saw the fight, too, looked bad.

Maybe it was a concussion?

If not, I'm sure it's just tender and sore. If that's the case I'm sure he would be playing if the situation was more important.

arsmaster*

Plays a safe solid game, mature beyond his years, but I don't think there is a lot of talent in his game to be honest. Wouldn't be a top 90 selection for me in his current state. Pysyk is a good comparison as both are defensive-minded safe players and you can see the difference in talent level between both of them clearly.
Is Bear that "safe"?

They haven't announced anything yet so have to assume noting was broken aka needing surgery. I saw the fight, too, looked bad.

Maybe it was a concussion?

If not, I'm sure it's just tender and sore. If that's the case I'm sure he would be playing if the situation was more important.

Yeah, I tried looking for any updates, wasn't able to find any.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is Bear that "safe"?

Yeah, I tried looking for any updates, wasn't able to find any.

Perhaps not that safe, but he doesn't have the talent to be a puck moving defenseman IMO. Pysyk is a really good skater and his 40 points a season proved that.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's back playing now. Has been in the past two games, IIRC.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bumped.

Haven't really liked him as much this year as I was expecting to. Not sure how I see his game translating to that next level, but he does have some ok tools. A mid round guy for me.

From my November rankings:

22 (HM) – Ethan Bear – D – Seattle Thunderbirds – Bear is a puck mover that is comfortable playing a free-flowing transition style of hockey. He skates well, possessing power, speed and the ability to change direction. He passes the puck hard and accurately, owns a rocket of a shot and isn’t afraid to be involved physically. Still a work in progress defensively and needs to work on consistency game to game and even shift to shift. I know other scouts like him a bit more than I do as I have him ranked as a 5th round type of player.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/11/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-second-edition.html

dudeoverhere

Feb 23, 2012
kid has a beast of a slap shot, and has producing more lately, i see him getting better as he is starting to play more with first round draft pick shea theodore on the power play, i predict his stats will double from last years totals..

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Been watching Seattle a bit, and he's just not an NHL talent. Good, accurate shot and solid defensive capabilities/positioning, but he has been very "meh" this year.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Bump

How is his draft stock looking right now. Hasn't done to well this year, it looks like it's gone from possible 2nd round pick to mid to late round pick.

dudeoverhere

Feb 23, 2012
just read this article, and found it interesting, obviously he thinks or his team of scouts think that his playing exceptionally well, also the 3 other players as well, and ethan is top 25 in defenseman scoring in the whl, also top 5 for his age group behind provorov, pilon, juulsen, and wotherspoon, to me i think a lot of nhl teams see his potential on the blue line especially with a cannon of a shot

"Our focus is turning to the amateur draft and it's a good weekend to see a lot of high-end prospects with Harkins, Barzal, Bear and Gropp, it's a good opportunity to see all four of them," said MacTavish.

"Barzal is hard not to like, the way he moves the puck and sees the ice, and really all four of those kids I mentioned have played exceptionally well. Barzal is coming off an injury and he looks like he's pretty close to full power tonight."

- See more at: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/...-future-nhlers-1.1749977#sthash.OmV8PEV1.dpuf

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
With his name, he deserves to be drafted top 10. Solid kid, 3rd rounder it seems.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
projects to be a 6'5, 240 lbs stay-at-home defensive punisher

will catch you going up-stream with your head down like a little pink salmon

straight grizz

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
Bump

How is his draft stock looking right now. Hasn't done to well this year, it looks like it's gone from possible 2nd round pick to mid to late round pick.

I think people had a bit unrealistic expectations for him since he played well at the Hlinka Tournament. Thats why some people had him early to mid 2nd. It was expected that other, at that time lesser known, prospects leap ahead of him.
That said to me he is a really solid 3rd round pick. He is playing pretty well on a not really good Seattle team. Personally think Barzal, Gropp and Bear are underrated by some, because of where they play.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It is funny what a game confidence can play. Earlier this year, he looked very meh and average at best, looked like another Jesse Lees (though I am still a fan of Lees, talking more about outcome). But towards the end of season, he looks freakin' fantastic out there. Only Wotherspoon and Guhle off the top of my head have had a better second half of season for defensemen. He actually looked like an NHL draft-able player.

He doesn't have any particular one area of strengths, but he also doesn't have many weaknesses either. His confidence though, really has shined through and he is rushing the puck up the ice, using his vision, making tape to tape passes with ease, and looking great on the PP unit with Theodore. He definitely has risen up in my books and looking like a 6th-ish round prospect.

projects to be a 6'5, 240 lbs stay-at-home defensive punisher

will catch you going up-stream with your head down like a little pink salmon

straight grizz

I just.......have......like zero idea what this means. I think you're confusing him with #33 Jared Hauf. Or is this a bear reference (majority of bears are not 6'5")?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think a team should definitely take him mid rounds. He keeps getting better and better. He should be Seattle's #1 dman next year as an 18 year old

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It is funny what a game confidence can play. Earlier this year, he looked very meh and average at best, looked like another Jesse Lees (though I am still a fan of Lees, talking more about outcome). But towards the end of season, he looks freakin' fantastic out there. Only Wotherspoon and Guhle off the top of my head have had a better second half of season for defensemen. He actually looked like an NHL draft-able player.

He doesn't have any particular one area of strengths, but he also doesn't have many weaknesses either. His confidence though, really has shined through and he is rushing the puck up the ice, using his vision, making tape to tape passes with ease, and looking great on the PP unit with Theodore. He definitely has risen up in my books and looking like a 6th-ish round prospect.

He's risen in your books but is only a 6th? Where did you have him before? I felt I was being harsh on him throughout the year considering him to be roughly a 5th rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad