RD Erik Cernak - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 43rd, LAK)

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
Does anyone have any information on Erik Cernak, a Slovakian defenseman who is 1997 born? He played an important role for them in the U17 Challenge this year and is on their U18 World Championship Team. He is huge in size for his age and was player of the game in their first match.

Last edited:

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Does anyone have any information on Erik Cernak, a Slovakian defenseman who is 1987 born? He played an important role for them in the U17 Challenge this year and is on their U18 World Championship Team. He is huge in size for his age and was player of the game in their first match.

But really no idea. Like you said he's freaking huge for his age (Height: 192 cm / 6'3" Weight: 92 kg / 203 lbs).

Interesting how he went from the U18 team of HC Kosice to the U20 team of Slovan Bratislava.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
there are some info Ive found

Czechexpert said:
I have seen him only once, recently at Four nation in Piestany. Was really impressed, big, mobile, intelligent. Won most of battles, tough to beat 1 on 1, good shot, moves the puck well, good vision. Plus he is right handed D which is always bonus.

Czechexpert said:
Czech goalie Daniel Vladar has upside of first rounder for sure as well as Slovakian D Erik Cernak.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
He is the next big prospect from Slovakia. He wanted to play in Sweden this season, but something get wrong and Slovan made him an offer. I don't know, if he will stay in Slovan also for the next season, but im sure, teams from Sweden are lot more interested in him.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Can he get a shot in KHL upcoming season ? Physically mature enough.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Can he get a shot in KHL upcoming season ? Physically mature enough.

THat would be too much for him.
Yeasterday i saw his name in the roster of HC Kosice. I hope, he will make it and play in the top Slovak league. That will be perfect for him now.
And also for Kosice, regarding to draft. If they can hold him on the roster, they wil receive some NHL money. He is now sure draft pick.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
He is listed on Košice's roster and is with the team in the summer camp, not sure if he will make the team though, or maybe he has different plans.

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
It seems, that he will play in HK Ornage 20 (Slovak senior league) this season. Ernest Bokros said, he has the tolls to play in this level. And it seems, he count with him also for WJC and WJC U18.

It would be impressive, if can make the WJC team at age 16. Orange is good choice for him, better than +/- 10 min with Košice.

R3v3r3nd

Dec 4, 2012
Erik Cernak play in Team Slovakia in Slovak Extraleague...

4 games/ 2+0/ 2b/ -1 +/- points

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
He is the next big prospect from Slovakia. He wanted to play in Sweden this season, but something get wrong and Slovan made him an offer. I don't know, if he will stay in Slovan also for the next season, but im sure, teams from Sweden are lot more interested in him.

Do you know which team?

Frölunda

As far I know, it was Linkoping:
http://www.slovakprospects.com/juni...5-rocny-kosican-cernak-berie-slovan-ako-vyzvu

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Looked really bad vs Canada. Watched 3 goals to happen right next to him.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Against Czech he passed the puck right on the tape of Czech player, who scored crucial third goal.
He was benched for the rest of the game then.

Much hyped guy this Cernak, I do believe he is the another Mihalik/Valabik type of guy. Big body for his age category, but no skills. When others gain some muscles, he will be nothing but another pylon.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Against Czech he passed the puck right on the tape of Czech player, who scored crucial third goal.
He was benched for the rest of the game then.

Much hyped guy this Cernak, I do believe he is the another Mihalik/Valabik type of guy. Big body for his age category, but no skills. When others gain some muscles, he will be nothing but another pylon.

Maybe this tournament is too skilled for him. Maybe he want to show, he can play everything. He must do the simple decisions. Not every-time to make a perfect pass.

Yeah, he mad a lot mistakes this year. Very very bad mistakes. It was bad for our team. Other-side it is also very good for his next career. Maybe he was overhyped by Slovak media and now he landed hard. But i still hope, he can be good D. He is only 16!

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
The truth is Chara wasn't good either in his 16. But for one Chara there are tons of Mihaliks, Valabiks and Mezeis..

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Černák has been playing on the 1st/2nd pairing together wtih experienced Martin Štrbák for HC Košice in the play-off of Slovak Extraliga. By all accounts he has been one of Košice's best D-men in the play-off so far.

It is highly unusual for HC Košice to give so much room to such a young player. Oiler's Martin Marinčin also grew up playing for this team but he never got to play for the men's team even as a 17 year old despite having the same experience as Cernak playing for the Slovak U20 team in he regular season of the Slovak league. It s true however that the league got significantly weaker since then and Kosice's team has gotten younger.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Any word on him coming over to play in the CHL?

Nothing recent but I seem to remember him saying that he didn't plan on going to NA until after NHL draft as he was given the opportunity to play the men's league as a 16 year old (this was when he was playing for the Slovakia U20 team) and considering his current position he has on the best team in the league one would think that he'd want to stay. I think he was also negotiating with a Swedish team before the 12/13 season but that didn't work out. But you can never really trust wha European players say about these things completely because their opinins change very fast and sometimes they don't speak about their intentions very openly in this matter.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Nothing recent but I seem to remember him saying that he didn't plan on going to NA until after NHL draft as he was given the opportunity to play the men's league as a 16 year old (this was when he was playing for the Slovakia U20 team) and considering his current position he has on the best team in the league one would think that he'd want to stay. I think he was also negotiating with a Swedish team before the 12/13 season but that didn't work out. But you can never really trust wha European players say about these things completely because their opinins change very fast and sometimes they don't speak about their intentions very openly in this matter.

Im sure, he is very hot material for CHL teams. And that means, Kosice can sell him for good price. I will be not surprised, if he will go to CHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad