RD David Savard (2009, 94th overall, Columbus)

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
He's putting up great numbers, that's for sure. From what I hear he's, at the very least, competent in his own end. Not a defensive stud by any means, but still effective.

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
As an avid Q follower I have been able to see Savard many times in the past couple of seasons.

David is an excellent defensive defenceman, and last year was nominated for the top defesive defenceman in the league, and was also one of the top +/- players in the league if not the best. He also chipped in with 44 points.

He is a big sturdy guy, already in a pro body, he's listed at 6'2" 212 this year but appears to be even bigger than that. He's not very physical in that he wont lay out huge punishing bodychecks, but he's certainly not soft either. Plays the body well, very good one on one and is an excellent shot blocker as well. He plays a very tight defensive game: always cutting off passing lanes with his stick and anticipates the play very well. He has awesome hockey sense a very smart player out there. Doesn't make many mistakes and rarely has a night off. I think many would say David is actually a defensive dman first and offence second.

This year he has really come on strong offensively. Run's a great PP, has a booming shot and again, his smarts allow him to make some great plays and find open guys. A great puck mover. He really does it all. I know many people in Moncton were surprised this year when he wasn't invited to the WJC camp. It wasn't a huge surprise for me because he's never really been a part of any national teams before and appears to be off their radar.

For my money, and others in Quebec who got to see him this year as well as the fans in Moncton think he's right there for the best defenceman in the Q. It is really close between him and Scandella. He's that good.

The only thing he really needs to improve on is foot speed. He's not a bad skater at all, just not a fast one, which perhaps could hurt him at the NHL level. From what I've heard though he's been working very hard on that and it appears to be paying off for him this season. A really hard working guy and a good leader too.

A really great 4th rounder for you guys in Columbus. He flies under the radar a bit, I'm not sure why, but I honestly believe he'll be making some Columbus fans very happy soon.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I agree with a lot of what the above poster has said. Especially about being a defensive blue liner first and foremost.

The other thing worth noting is that Savard's skating and overall conditioning has improved dramatically since being drafted.

Finally, this season in particular, his confidence with the puck is through the roof. I'm not sure what the pairings were last season off the top of my head, but this year, he doesn't seem to be always the guy covering for his partner. This is a bit more of a testament to Moncton improving, but still helps explain the opportunities he's getting.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Just a quick note to comment on why a guy like Savard gets picked at 94(?) in the NHL draft. Not overturning anything what the other two commenters have said, but just a note on his playing style.

Savard isn't a flashy player... which isn't bad at all for a defenceman. He's not really the type of player that gets you really excited when you watch him play, especially not the first time. He's more like a steady eddy type of guy. I think if you look at the 2009 draft, there were several somewhat comparable defenders going around the 80-95 range. It was a good draft year, and some of the defenders who went higher than Savard had one or two really standout qualities (like Steffan Elliott, or C-O Roussel with offence, or Taylor Doherty and Brett Ponich with size).

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
He's putting up great numbers, that's for sure. From what I hear he's, at the very least, competent in his own end. Not a defensive stud by any means, but still effective.

I've seen him play probably 6 or 7 times this year. He is by far Moncton's best player. He is their top PP QB. He hits hard, he's solid in his own end....his foot speed is decent for a guy his size.

I for one couldn't figure out how he dropped to the 4th round. He is a sure NHL top 4 Dman. Especially with the Jackets.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
I agree with a lot of what the above poster has said. Especially about being a defensive blue liner first and foremost.

The other thing worth noting is that Savard's skating and overall conditioning has improved dramatically since being drafted.

Finally, this season in particular, his confidence with the puck is through the roof. I'm not sure what the pairings were last season off the top of my head, but this year, he doesn't seem to be always the guy covering for his partner. This is a bit more of a testament to Moncton improving, but still helps explain the opportunities he's getting.

his stats could be a tad inflated too...

I went to Halifax Vs. Moncton's last game. It was a 10-1 bashing by the wildcats and i think Savard had 5 points.

Playing the mooseheads more than a couple of times doesn't hurt his stats at all :laugh:

ace111

Mar 31, 2007
Riverview

Savard has played with Simon Jodoin up until Jodoin go hurt. He is fun to watch. He has great composure with the puck, moves it quickly out of harms way and has really started to try and develop his offensive play as well. He will now rush with the puck which he did not do at the start of last season.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
He gets a lot of his points on the PP. 5 on 5, he usually focuses more on the defensive side.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
How this guy slipped to the 4rd round?

he has the size 6'1 200lb he is an offensive force

Is he poor in his own zone or what?

thanks!

I have seen him for 2+ years in Moncton, a couple of factors let to him only being drafted that late.

First he was a late bloomer so he's come a long way, he went undrafted in the QMJHL at 15, and at 16 was drafted in the 3rd or 4th rd as a #3-4 solid stay at home guy with size.

Last year he made huge leaps in terms of his offensive game, much more poised with the puck and making better decisions.

Second was his skating, he is still not a great skater but he's come a long way in the last 2 years. That's the aspect that could delay his arrival to the NHL until he is 22-23.

He is a great junior defenseman, at this level he is as good as Scandella but at higher levels even with his good sized frame and great hockey sense his skating will hold him back a bit. Should be able to crack the AHL next year and play a regular shift.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
David Savard

Savard has had a very good rookie season in Springfield. I know he had a great last season in juniors, which is why I told myself that he would end up being a great D-man for the Jackets. Also, he had a much better first year than John Moore.

So, people who have seen him play before, am I over-hyping him or do you think he will be a good, consistent NHL player?

As a Jackets fan, I would really appreciate it.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
always was a fan of his in junior. he was a solid pick by the jackets in his draft year. i don't think your over-hyping him he's a solid prospect. will be a top4 d-men in the nhl. He was crazy good in his last year in junior with Moncton

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
10 g and 29a and -4 for his rookie season in the AHL, I think he is gonna be quite the player. Your not overhyping DS.

John Moore certainly needs to be better tho. hes currently -26 ouch!

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
I believe he really is that good. He was such a calming presence in juniors. When he was on the ice you just kind of knew you wouldn't be scored on.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
10 g and 29a and -4 for his rookie season in the AHL, I think he is gonna be quite the player. Your not overhyping DS.

John Moore certainly needs to be better tho. hes currently -26 ouch!

That -26 is deceiving! He was -30 until he was +4 the other night :nod:

For a defenseman Savard has a nice wristshot, looking forward to seeing him in a year or two.

Lenain22

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
Do you think David Savard will be in the line up in Columbus?

Can he start this year as 6-7 D and do you think he pass over John Moore in the chart. ? and if he play what we can expect form him this year???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad