RD David Rundblad (2009, 17th overall, STL; OTT; PHX; CHI)

Sensnation55

Nov 21, 2009
Where would David Rundblad be drafted in the 2010 draft?

David_Rundblad_skjuter-8397.jpg

Last edited:

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
17th overall?

If you mean 2010, he's a lot like Pysyk so around 23rd, but I like Pysyk a lot more than many players picked before him.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'm confused. LOL. He did go in the 2009 draft.

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=25979

TSN said 29th, I say somewhere between 17 (where he was originally picked) and 29th. Supposedly he played pretty well during the end of the season, but up until and including the WJCs he was pretty awful. He is a player who will still need several more years, he is a project. It just didnt sound like he did much to raise his status from last year. His stats certainly dont look like anything to justify raising his draft spot.

IrMitchell*

Considering McIlrath went 10th overall, I don't think you can use this draft to compare any past pick.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Since Gormely went 13th I'd say after him. But wait McIlrath went 10th, so he would go before him of course. So before 10th and after 13th...wait, something is fishy here.

Manny*

It's still too early to tell, but the way I see it:

Hall
Seguin
Gormley
Connolly
Fowler
Gudbranson
Johansen
Niederreiter
Burmistrov
Skinner
Tarasenko
Granlund
Rundblad

Somewhere in that range. I'm happy with the trade. Other than Tarasenko, he was, in a sense, the best player available.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Rundblad offensively is comparible to Fowler although not as good of a pp QB.

Top 15 pick is my guess but who knows with McIlrath going 10th...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
RD David Rundblad, - Phoenix property (2009, 17th overall, St. Louis)

SEL GP27 G5 A15 P20

He leads the SEL in scoring for a D-man. I was pissed (sorta) when Ottawa traded their first for him at the draft, especially because we had Erik Karlsson who had just broken out, and Patric Weircoich as PMDs in the stables, along with Jared Cowen who is showing this year in the WHL he's very capable offensively.

BUT MAN O MAN, this kid seems really special. Is he poised to become one of the premier PMDs in the NHL? Because if his career overseas is any indicator at all, he has star potential written all over him. I guess as the story goes our head scout was absolutely puzzled when he found out St.Louis wanted to use him as trade bate, and advised Ottawa to do what it takes to get this kid.

Whats the general consensus on him around HF boards? I know hes apparently prone to a mistake or two in his own end each game, but the defensive game can be taught. The offensive skills he possesses are un teachable. I mean, if 5'10 165lb EK can find a way to survive in the NHL off of his incredible skill set, then what does that say about 6'2 190lb Rundblad and his chances.

I dont want to get too far ahead of myself (and I just might here ;)), but Ottawa could have a very, very scary blueline in a few years if Runblad continues at his current rate of development. Im hoping some Sweedish posters here can help me out and give me a little more insight into the situation. And by all means settle me down if need be, but going by his stats I cant help but get excited.

Harks

Oct 27, 2010
Malmö
Wouldn't call him a point-man D (?). The goals he's scored this season is form dangling 1-2 guys then stepping in the slot and fired one up the roof.
I can only remember 1 goal from blue line. More of a puck-carrier who has amazing dangling skills :nod:

Edit: Maybe it stands for puck-moving D. Then you're right ;)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Wouldn't call him a point-man D (?). The goals he's scored this season is form dangling 1-2 guys then stepping in the slot and fired one up the roof.
I can only remember 1 goal from blue line. More of a puck-carrier who has amazing dangling skills :nod:

Oh man, yes please, that sounds fantastic. So, will it translate to the NHL is the question...

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Oh man, yes please, that sounds fantastic. So, will it translate to the NHL is the question...

As long as you dont bring him over to late, after 18 it gets harder to change mentally. It's how you get mattias weinhandels being stars on big ice but failing in the NHL. Sure there are exceptions ala zetterberg but high intelligence does alot for players like that.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
As long as you dont bring him over to late, after 18 it gets harder to change mentally. It's how you get mattias weinhandels being stars on big ice but failing in the NHL. Sure there are exceptions ala zetterberg but high intelligence does alot for players like that.

I think the Sens organization will bring him over to NA next year where he most likely would play in the AHL. He's doing so well, I hope he can bring that success with him.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He and Karlsson are actually a bit different. Runblad might actually be a more dynamic skater than Karlsson, and stands out more when he is carrying the puck. He is also obviously bigger and stronger than Erik.

At the same time, Karlsson is a more skilled puck-handler and has a better shot. While Karlsson is an excellent skater by even NHL standards, it's his puck handling and stick work that set him apart.

I don't see the two as complimentary players on the same line, but ultimately having one of each on your top two defensive pairings could be a great asset to the team, presuming they can get the right complimentary players beside them (Cowen being on candidate obviously).

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Not true at all. If anything, Rundblad has so far had the perfect development. Allowing him two years in the SEL has done absolute wonders for his development. He obviously had his troubles early last year, but being in a system that has been willing to nurture his talent in a safe environment has been what has made him along with his obvious natural gift.

The draft day trade that was basically Tarasenko for Rundblad may be one of the most even trades you will see. Both are IMO elite prospects at their respective positions.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Yea the PM (around HF anyways) stands for puck-moving. Thats fairly exciting to hear regardless. Its hard to believe he's a more gifted skater than Karlsson, who's about as silky smooth as it gets. I'll be very excited to see the two of them running our PP in a few years when Gonchar is gone.

Also glad no one has really tried to temper my expectations yet, and it appears hes as good as his point totals would indicate for a kid in the SEL.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Not true at all. If anything, Rundblad has so far had the perfect development. Allowing him two years in the SEL has done absolute wonders for his development. He obviously had his troubles early last year, but being in a system that has been willing to nurture his talent in a safe environment has been what has made him along with his obvious natural gift.

The draft day trade that was basically Tarasenko for Rundblad may be one of the most even trades you will see. Both are IMO elite prospects at their respective positions.

Not true how? obviously bringing him over to early would also be bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad