RD Dante Fabbro - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 17th, NSH)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He's 2016 eligible and currently playing in the BCHL. He was the Thunderbirds' 1st round selection in the 2013 bantam draft but he's said he's going back to the BCHL next season.

I haven't heard anything about him officially committing to a college - but from what I've read, University of Wisconsin seems likes the most likely destination.

He played at U17 last year, so he's definitely on HC's radar. I would think he'll get invited to Hlinka tryouts.

MOD:

Last edited by a moderator:

arsmaster*

I'll eat my hat if he's not on the Hlinka team (he should be the PP QB).

Chychrun-Fabbro
Day-Bean

2016 looks like a tremendous year for Canadian defensman.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He'll easily be on the Hlinka team.

A first round talent for 2016, even though he's not the biggest guy. Moves the puck almost as well as any prospect for the draft next year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Still debating between WHL and NCAA.. will be deciding in the summer. He wants WHL, family wants NCAA... time will tell!

arsmaster*

Still debating between WHL and NCAA.. will be deciding in the summer. He wants WHL, family wants NCAA... time will tell!

An NCAA degree vs a CIS degree really doesn't make that much difference of getting a job in the future.

Degrees are degrees.

Do his parents realize how good he is? He's going to be an NHL player. Who cares about a communications degree from Wisconsin?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
An NCAA degree vs a CIS degree really doesn't make that much difference of getting a job in the future.

Degrees are degrees.

Do his parents realize how good he is? He's going to be an NHL player. Who cares about a communications degree from Wisconsin?

I know... NCAA schooling runs deep in the family i guess.. grandparents, parents, etc

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Is it legitimately a WHL/NCAA thing or does he just not want to play for Seattle (and wants to be traded elsewhere)?

Degrees are degrees.

Maybe his family thinks he's less likely to avail himself of a post-secondary education if he goes the WHL-route than if he's actually playing out of an NCAA school? :dunno:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Is it legitimately a WHL/NCAA thing or does he just not want to play for Seattle (and wants to be traded elsewhere)?

Maybe his family thinks he's less likely to avail himself of a post-secondary education if he goes the WHL-route than if he's actually playing out of an NCAA school? :dunno:

No its a WHL or NCAA debate. Seattle was the only team he would consider playing for because of his best friend Barzal. So Seattle knew what they were getting themselves into from the get go.

I just hate seeing him play Junior A again next year. He was already one of the best dmen in that league as a 16 year old last season, and going into his NHL draft it would be nice to see how he does in the WHL. I know NHL scouts are hoping he plays in the WHL next year in his draft year. It's tough getting a true feel of a potential 1st round pick playing Junior A in BC.

Sure the NCAA would be a great route for him after next season, but its just this upcoming season that I hate seeing him play Junior A again in his draft year.

Should be an interesting summer to see what he decides

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Degrees are degrees.

The chance of him completing a CIS degree is basically zero. Guys don't take 5 courses a semester in the CHL, some get 4-6 finished a year.

The NCAA is a fine route to go for hockey players, this is proven time and time again. The WHL & the NCAA are fine for him. He's going to be a player regardless.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The chance of him completing a CIS degree is basically zero. Guys don't take 5 courses a semester in the CHL, some get 4-6 finished a year.

The NCAA is a fine route to go for hockey players, this is proven time and time again. The WHL & the NCAA are fine for him. He's going to be a player regardless.

Ya either way he will turn out to be a great player. Selfishly Id just like to see him play WHL because most likely he will only play 1, maybe 2 NCAA seasons and then sign a NHL deal

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I just hate seeing him play Junior A again next year. He was already one of the best dmen in that league as a 16 year old last season, and going into his NHL draft it would be nice to see how he does in the WHL. I know NHL scouts are hoping he plays in the WHL next year in his draft year. It's tough getting a true feel of a potential 1st round pick playing Junior A in BC.

Sure the NCAA would be a great route for him after next season, but its just this upcoming season that I hate seeing him play Junior A again in his draft year.
He could play in the USHL next season. That would be a step up from the BCHL and the USHL is decent enough for a mid to late first round draft talent. Bloomington owns his rights as well as Jost's rights. Something to think about if he ultimately decides to play NCAA.

arsmaster*

He could play in the USHL next season. That would be a step up from the BCHL and the USHL is decent enough for a mid to late first round draft talent. Bloomington owns his rights as well as Jost's rights. Something to think about if he ultimately decides to play NCAA.

Is the USHL outside of the NTDP really that much of a step up? It doesn't ever appear so to me, but again I have live views of BCHL and only streams of USHL.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Is the USHL outside of the NTDP really that much of a step up? It doesn't ever appear so to me, but again I have live views of BCHL and only streams of USHL.

I am the opposite of you. Have seen USHL live and BCHL streamed.
For me the skill level is high in both leagues (very close) but it seems the BCHL is not as defensively tough as the USHL.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

FWIW I had a friend who played in the Bchl as an 18/19 year old and in the ushl as a 20 yr old and he says the ushl is tougher

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ya Junior A in BC isn't a very strong league anymore. But it is a good league to play in to receive NCAA scholorships. They get handed out like candy every year. There were 130 players playing last year in the 16 team league that had a NCAA commitment. The previous years there were 138, 143 etc.

Also there are kids having a verbal agreement in place while still playing on midget teams in BC before even playing a single BCHL game. For example, there is a kid named Darren Rizzolo before his season in midget this year committed to play in Chilliwack in 2015/16 & 2016/17 and then off to Northeastern University in 2017/18. And that's just one example and he's just a very average smaller dman. It's totally bizzare to me how NCAA schools are verbal agreeing with kids while in midget still and havn't put on a half visor yet and played against older guys.

I remember back when I was younger, it was extremely tough to get scholorships and the real good teams would have up to like 3 kids that had ones and they were the stars of the league. Once in a while a real good 17 year old would get one too and that was HUGE news across the league. Nowadays if a player starts their BCHL career as a 16 or 17 year old, no matter their skill level, they are all but guaranteed to receive a NCAA scholarship by the time they finish their 4 or 5 years in junior(I am so jealous I didn't grow up at this time of life playing junior A!!! haha)

I really wish that Fabbro and Jost would play in a higher level league next year. They were already 2 of the better skilled players in this league as 16 year olds and need to play at a higher level. I would love to see how they do at the Major Junior level before I can get a real good feel for their 2016 draft. They are going to be 2 of the best players in the league next year in BCHL and wont be pushed as hard as they should be pushed. If they want to go NCAA route forsure, I wish they would have accelerated their schooling so that they could play NCAA this upcoming season

Last edited:

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
FWIW I had a friend who played in the Bchl as an 18/19 year old and in the ushl as a 20 yr old and he says the ushl is tougher

It definitely is. 95% of the really good Canadians are playing in the CHL, whereas almost every good American kid is playing in the USHL, save for a few who play in the CHL.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Love Fabbro's game. Good shot from the point, great break-out pass, calm out there, and I think he can get a little bigger to get a little meaner defensively.

I'll eat my hat if he's not on the Hlinka team (he should be the PP QB).

Chychrun-Fabbro
Day-Bean

2016 looks like a tremendous year for Canadian defensman.
Add in Clague, Girard, Green, Mete who also look like very solid prospects and it looks better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad