RD Damon Severson (2012, 60th overall, New Jersey)

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I noticed that he wasn't on Craig Button's top 30 or players to watch list. He also wasn't on ISS top 30 either.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
To be honest, Damon Severson is a good player, but there isn't something that really stands out in his game.

Big kid that's for sure, big stride and seems to have a really good slapshot. He is on the powerplay a lot playing the point. His skating is not that great. He for sure is a defenseman that logs plenty of minutes on the Kelowna lineup, good all around defender, but nothing stands out in his case. I do think that he has potential to be a late 2nd round pick.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
To be honest, Damon Severson is a good player, but there isn't something that really stands out in his game.

Big kid that's for sure, big stride and seems to have a really good slapshot. He is on the powerplay a lot playing the point. His skating is not that great. He for sure is a defenseman that logs plenty of minutes on the Kelowna lineup, good all around defender, but nothing stands out in his case. I do think that he has potential to be a late 2nd round pick.

Pretty much hits it right on the head. He's a good player/prospect, should be an early/mid round pick. We have him in our top-10 from the WHL, but behind Murray, Dumba, Reinhart, Rielly, Pouliot, Bourke, Leipsic, and at least one or two others.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Pretty much hits it right on the head. He's a good player/prospect, should be an early/mid round pick. We have him in our top-10 from the WHL, but behind Murray, Dumba, Reinhart, Rielly, Pouliot, Bourke, Leipsic, and at least one or two others.

For sure.

Wow, Severson with 5 assists tonight in a 6-3 win versus Vancouver.

Unreal.

Last edited:

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
For sure.

Wow, Severson with 5 assists tonight in a 6-3 win versus Kelowna.

Unreal.

Severson looked VERY good tonight. Was all over the ice tonight moving the puck well. He has a rocket of a shot but he needs to get it on net, a little more control. Plays a real puck moving game, looks like a good solid defensive prospect.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Saw him play last weekend. I was sure he was an overager or something, not a 17 year old.

He plays with maturity and has 12 points in 10 games. Great start to the year so far.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
cool, thanks people

btw, can you comment on fellow teammate Colton Sissons? I don't see too many people rating him high, yet he sounds like an interesting 2-way, hard-nosed player.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
cool, thanks people

btw, can you comment on fellow teammate Colton Sissons? I don't see too many people rating him high, yet he sounds like an interesting 2-way, hard-nosed player.

He'll be in contention to possibly be the first WHL forward picked this summer. Big kid who can really skate, plays aggressive and has good hands.

Very underrated.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
He'll be in contention to possibly be the first WHL forward picked this summer. Big kid who can really skate, plays aggressive and has good hands.

Very underrated.

I like Scissons as well, moulding into a prototypical power forward. It's no accident he was named captain this year. I have Bourke and Scissons neck and neck to be the first forward taken. I think NHL teams will lean towards Scissons with good reason.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like Scissons as well, moulding into a prototypical power forward. It's no accident he was named captain this year. I have Bourke and Scissons neck and neck to be the first forward taken. I think NHL teams will lean towards Scissons with good reason.

Those are my top two, too.

I really like Bourke though, reminds me of Parise.

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
Sissons is good player as well. He is one of those guys that is always buzzing around, kills penalties and plays power play. Great combination of size and speed. Reminds me alot of Brandon McMillan at the same age, i would say McMillan was a better skater but Sissons is better skill wise.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Here's my scouting report of a game versus Victoria of both Sissons and Severson.

Sissons -
Wearing the C this game, Sissons showed why he is a leader, easily one of the top players on the ice, not only setting the tone with crushing hits, but chipping in offensively. Great work ethic to go along with plenty of other tangibles including winning all of the board battles, and battling in front of the net whenever needed to be. On the powerplay, he did a bit of everything, setting up his defenseman and grinding in front of the net, which led him to a goal on the night. I could definetly see Colton going in the second round of this draft, with a role as a top six player with solid leadership skills.

Severson -
Safe, safe, defenseman. Showed plenty of poise and didn't make one mistake the entire game. Was solid at everything, but not exceptional at anything. One thing I would like to see more of him is to use his size to his advantage, his speed is definitely a factor on why he isn't being thrown in with the other big group of five defenseman in the WHL. He logged plenty of minutes and played in all situations, his slapshot is above average from the point. He definitely has potential to be a second to third round selection, with potential to be first rounder if he works on some little things.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm pretty high on Sissons, but I'm a touch higher on Bourke - we were unanimous that Bourke is our top forward from the WHL for this year's draft. Sissons is right up there though, along with Brendan Leipsic.

arsmaster*

Anyone remember following the 2003 draft?

The comments here are absolutely staggering how much they compare to Shea Weber's pre-draft scouting reports, not to mention the Kelowna connection.

NOt saying...just saying.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
I'm pretty high on Sissons, but I'm a touch higher on Bourke - we were unanimous that Bourke is our top forward from the WHL for this year's draft. Sissons is right up there though, along with Brendan Leipsic.

Scissons has closed the gap on Bourke, just because of his style of game. I think it will come down to preference on who gets drafted first. Leipsic is a slick looking player, but he is so tiny. Leipsic is going to have to be head and shoulders better in order to be considered before the other two.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Scissons has closed the gap on Bourke, just because of his style of game. I think it will come down to preference on who gets drafted first. Leipsic is a slick looking player, but he is so tiny. Leipsic is going to have to be head and shoulders better in order to be considered before the other two.

Definitely.

Leipsic has a pretty dynamic skillset, but got buried at times in that Portland lineup. I love his compete level and style of play, but I certainly have my question marks about his game transferring to the next level. That being said, this is the kind of kid every coach loves to have on their team.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like Severson. Total package of a defenceman. Tough to see him battling injury right now. Hasn't played since December 13th and you have to imagine that's hurting his stock big time.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
The comments here are absolutely staggering how much they compare to Shea Weber's pre-draft scouting reports, not to mention the Kelowna connection.

NOt saying...just saying.

Funny you should say that, because there are two players in particular Severson tries to model his game after:

“Ex-Rockets Shea Weber and Duncan Keith,†said Severson, slotted 32nd in Future Considerations ranking for March. “Weber’s got a big body presence and he likes to hit. I try to play as much as him as possible.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/severson-sets-sights-high-with-rockets/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad