RD Dalton Thrower - Saskatoon, WHL (2012 Draft)

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I didn´t see a thread for this defenseman, so I decided to do it because I have a couple of questions about his game.

I´m going to watch probably a lot of games of Saskatoon next season (not live though) and would like to hear some comments about his game. Where does he project to be in the 2012 Draft (he´s a late 1993 born player)? What are his strenghts and where his game could see some improvement? He had a nice total of points during the season, and as he´s just a 17-year-old D-man he might have some good potential?

Last edited:

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I like him, nice combination of skill, skating and sass.

A little more from another thread...

(11-12-2009, 12:33 PM)
If your question is in regards to identifying first round talent then the WHL has another defenseman to add to the above list. Dalton Thrower, who is a December birthdate from the 1993 class, currently playing regular minutes along side Duncan Siemens as an all 16 yr old pairing (well Thrower is still 15). Anyways, his skating is well above average, he has a good shot and seems to rush the puck in a similar fashion to that of Stefan Elliott of the Blades. Dalton though will lay the body hard and that is what makes him a complete prospect.

Look for Dalton Thrower in the first round in 2012

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's a pretty good two way defenseman.

Plays with a nice edge to his game, has a good shot, skates well, rushes the puck, makes a strong first pass, is very gritty, tough, stands up for teammates. Lots to like. On the downside he makes a ton of mistakes defensively and is below average in his defensive zone coverage. That should come around with more experience, but I have some concerns with his overall hockeysense and the way he thinks the game as a whole.

Looking for some major improvements next season.

Sabres9

Mar 8, 2011
I used to play with him, his biggest problem was his lack of discipline. But when he plays in control, he can be very effective and he's strong as hell, so he kicks the crap out of kids.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Has improved greatly in every area of his game this season. He's bigger, stronger, faster and has really limited his mistakes in his own zone compared to last season.

This kid is a true player to watch as he could be a darkhorse to slide into the late 1st round. I still think we see him go somewhere in the middle of the 2nd, but he's the kind of player that scouts will fall in love with.

You should see him fight.

My god.

His tilt over the weekend against Lethbridge was among the best I have seen this season. His scrap starts at 1:42ish..

http://saskatoonblades.com/video/index/id/72d15a0126d92ab875c81b849bb5ee6f

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Oh, I've seen him fight alright!

Jus' messin, props for taking on a bigger, older and much more experienced scrapper in Kramer.

Nice fight though there RS, lives up to his name it seems.

Haha, figured the Kramer fight would come up. And yeah, you're right, Kramer is the epitome of experienced-fighters in the WHL.

Dalts didn't do too bad there, credit to him for taking him on.

arsmaster*

Has improved greatly in every area of his game this season. He's bigger, stronger, faster and has really limited his mistakes in his own zone compared to last season.

This kid is a true player to watch as he could be a darkhorse to slide into the late 1st round. I still think we see him go somewhere in the middle of the 2nd, but he's the kind of player that scouts will fall in love with.

You should see him fight.

My god.

His tilt over the weekend against Lethbridge was among the best I have seen this season. His scrap starts at 1:42ish..

http://saskatoonblades.com/video/index/id/72d15a0126d92ab875c81b849bb5ee6f

I know you watch the Blades regularly RS, has his hockey sense turned around...or is it still a bit of a concern for you?

Seems even the unheralded WHL defensman (Thrower and Severson to name 2) also have PRO potential....both are 2nd rounders in my book (not that anyones buying ;)).

Interested to hear more of a scouting report from you. Havent had a chance to watch the blades this year (thought highly of him last year).

You see Severson play this season? How does he look?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I know you watch the Blades regularly RS, has his hockey sense turned around...or is it still a bit of a concern for you?

Seems even the unheralded WHL defensman (Thrower and Severson to name 2) also have PRO potential....both are 2nd rounders in my book (not that anyones buying ;)).

Interested to hear more of a scouting report from you. Havent had a chance to watch the blades this year (thought highly of him last year).

You see Severson play this season? How does he look?

Weird that you mention the two because in my scouting report on Severson I actually compared him to Thrower and talked about how they are basically rated side by side by myself. Very similar players.

I think Thrower has really matured in his game in regards to hockey sense.

He made a very silly play two games ago, just a bad turnover. And at the time I thought to myself that last year that was nearly an every game mistake he would make. It's been very rare for him to do things like that this season. I've been very impressed.

In fact, he has definitely overtaken Ryan Olsen in my books as far as which Blades player will be drafted first.

Thrower has been phenomenal. And yes, I also have both Severson and Thrower as 2nd rounders too, with both of them having an outside chance of being a late first rounder because they are both players that scouts tend to fall in love with. Both hard nosed, two way guys.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Weird that you mention the two because in my scouting report on Severson I actually compared him to Thrower and talked about how they are basically rated side by side by myself. Very similar players.

He made a very silly play two games ago, just a bad turnover. And at the time I thought to myself that last year that was nearly an every game mistake he would make. It's been very rare for him to do things like that this season. I've been very impressed.

In fact, he has definitely overtaken Ryan Olsen in my books as far as which Blades player will be drafted first.

Thrower has been phenomenal. And yes, I also have both Severson and Thrower as 2nd rounders too, with both of them having an outside chance of being a late first rounder because they are both players that scouts tend to fall in love with. Both hard nosed, two way guys.

Which one has more offensive potential?

arsmaster*

On the surface, Severson is putting up almost a PPG right now, where Thrower is about a .5ppg, while stats dont tell the story, I think both guys are going to make their pay as stay at home guys, or at the very least as two-way guys.

arsmaster*

Thanks.

Always enjoy your insight.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
The habs could pick him up in the second round so they can have a D pairing of Dietz-Thrower in the near future... Add Tinordi to that and FINALLY the Habs have some toughness on the back end :)

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Hard to say. Thrower is a better skater I think and a more flashy player. Severson at this point has more presence on the blueline and is the better PP QB right now.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Just wondering if anyone who's seen him recently can give an update?

I've seen every single game of his this season. He continues to play well. Has a ton of confidence right now as a recent WHL/CHL player of the week. Has started to shoot more, and they are going in because he places it well and has a rocket of a shot. Rushing the puck more and continuing to improve defensively.

Him and Siemens have also been the Blades top pairing in regards to shutting down guys like McNeill, Weal and Etem so he is getting great experience in big situations.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've seen every single game of his this season. He continues to play well. Has a ton of confidence right now as a recent WHL/CHL player of the week. Has started to shoot more, and they are going in because he places it well and has a rocket of a shot. Rushing the puck more and continuing to improve defensively.

Him and Siemens have also been the Blades top pairing in regards to shutting down guys like McNeill, Weal and Etem so he is getting great experience in big situations.

Have noticed his PIMs have gone way down as his production has gone up - 6 fights and 9 points in his first 19 games, 0 fights and 25 points in his last 25 games.

He's had a bit of a rep as hothead in the past - is this a situation where the coaching staff there told him to rein it in and focus on hockey?

Certainly has a bit of Kevin Bieksa (or Todd Gill going back further) about him - hard-nosed smallish guy with a big of swagger offensively who can really fight when he drops the gloves.

Was interested to see he was listed at 5'11 by CSS in the mid-terms after being listed at 6'0 everywhere else. Wonder if that will play in scouts' minds on draft day, especially given the style he plays. If he was 6'2" I suspect we'd be talking about him as a top-10 guy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Have noticed his PIMs have gone way down as his production has gone up - 6 fights and 9 points in his first 19 games, 0 fights and 25 points in his last 25 games.

He's had a bit of a rep as hothead in the past - is this a situation where the coaching staff there told him to rein it in and focus on hockey?

Certainly has a bit of Kevin Bieksa (or Todd Gill going back further) about him - hard-nosed smallish guy with a big of swagger offensively who can really fight when he drops the gloves.

Was interested to see he was listed at 5'11 by CSS in the mid-terms after being listed at 6'0 everywhere else. Wonder if that will play in scouts' minds on draft day, especially given the style he plays. If he was 6'2" I suspect we'd be talking about him as a top-10 guy.

Funny that you mention Bieksa, as the Canucks are his favorite team and he likes to model his game after him. With that being said, I don't think they're really that similar. Thrower's a much better skater and has better offensive instincts.

I don't think the coaches have directed him to do anything special in regards to fighting. I just think that he's realized how good he can be when he just wants to play, instead of always fighting.

He still chirps all game, plays physical and pisses people off...and he's still not afraid to fight ANYBODY...but he just seems to have realized that his skill is a more dangerous asset.

And yes, if he was a few inches taller he could be the ultimate defender.

arsmaster*

Ranked 31st by the ISS now.

Any team picking at the top of the draft having the potential to haul in a Yakupov/Grigorenko in the 1st and Thrower in the 2nd will be a very happy organization.

I think we'll see Thrower in the 1st by seasons end though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Ranked 31st by the ISS now.

Any team picking at the top of the draft having the potential to haul in a Yakupov/Grigorenko in the 1st and Thrower in the 2nd will be a very happy organization.

I think we'll see Thrower in the 1st by seasons end though.

I still think his 5'11.5-6'0 frame will hurt him by about 5-10 spots. If he was 6'2, he would likely be a top 20 player.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I believe he's played the wing in Saskatoon before as well. Defense is his speciality, but he's a pretty versatile guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad