RD Cody Ceci (2012, 15th overall, Ottawa)

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
Whats his playing style like? I see the ducks moving to 5th or 6th and he seems great from his numbers and if you could compare him to an nhl player who would he be.He seems like a perfect partner for Cam right handed shot and physical

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Whats his playing style like? I see the ducks moving to 5th or 6th and he seems great from his numbers and if you could compare him to an nhl player who would he be.He seems like a perfect partner for Cam right handed shot and physical

He gets Brent Seabrook comparisons.

He's developed into a guy where people seem confused what side of the ice he's better on. Moves the puck well, good vision and hockey sense. Footwork and quickness needs a little work but not a glaring red flag. Not overly physical, leaves you wanting more in that regard. Does a pretty good job carrying the puck as well.

I like him. Not an enormous upside but looks like a good two-way #3.

WhiteLight*

No you not get him JohnnyDuck:rant:, he is perfect for the Sens:p:

;) Awesome two-way d-man for the 2nd pair

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
whats his defensive game like though

Very solid. Mature and patient as well as big and strong. He'll get more physical I think and he's a pretty big kid with good range and solid skating. I think he'll be better defensively than offensively but there is some definite offensive upside there.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Brent Seabrook is the best comparison i can come up with. A guy who is above average at everything but elite at nothing. He's a big kid who's a good skater, has a rocket clapper, good passer and very solid defensively.

spfan

May 4, 2009
He gets Brent Seabrook comparisons.

He's developed into a guy where people seem confused what side of the ice he's better on. Moves the puck well, good vision and hockey sense. Footwork and quickness needs a little work but not a glaring red flag. Not overly physical, leaves you wanting more in that regard. Does a pretty good job carrying the puck as well.

I like him. Not an enormous upside but looks like a good two-way #3.

lol you say he's better offensively and not very physical, yet compare him to a very physical and more defensively capable d-man?

He's more like Keith than Seabrook i'd say.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
So exactly...how is he like Seabrook then?
Seabrook is one of the most physical d-men in the NHL.

More in his skillset. The fact that he's above average at everything when it comes to the puck moving part of the game but elite at nothing. I find the skillset similar, not necessarily the physical play, but the way they move the puck.

spfan

May 4, 2009
More in his skillset. The fact that he's above average at everything when it comes to the puck moving part of the game but elite at nothing. I find the skillset similar, not necessarily the physical play, but the way they move the puck.

I think Seabrook is too defensive minded and physical to be the best comparison.
Pietrangelo maybe a better one.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I think Seabrook is too defensive minded and physical to be the best comparison.
Pietrangelo maybe a better one.

I think Ceci will be more of a Seabrook when he turns pro. Which ever team drafts him is going to at least attempt to get him to be more physical. Watching him his entire junior career I think he will be adjust to be a defence first defenceman in the pro's.

spfan

May 4, 2009
I think Ceci will be more of a Seabrook when he turns pro. Which ever team drafts him is going to at least attempt to get him to be more physical. Watching him his entire junior career I think he will be adjust to be a defence first defenceman in the pro's.

Yeah he would become more physical and better defensively, but people are saying for him to be the PP QB, which isn't what Seabrook does. That's more up Keith's alley.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Thats the thing. I think Ceci will be a Mr.Everything much like Seabrook. No necessarily QBing the 1st PP but he will make a great 2nd unit QB and 1st unit PKer.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Thats the thing. I think Ceci will be a Mr.Everything much like Seabrook. No necessarily QBing the 1st PP but he will make a great 2nd unit QB and 1st unit PKer.

Well i think Seabrook is pretty good-good offensively I think Ceci will be better offensively, but not near his defensive abilities.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

I certainly see him enough, and actually saw him several times before the OHL.

The best word to describe him is steady and safe. He does not seem to have many up or down games. He also tends to play it quite safely, which is why I think he shies away from hitting players.

Now its not entirely correct to say he does not play physical. He uses his size to a huge advantage, but not to lay out a hit. He will squeeze rushing players into the boards, he will push you in front of the net, and he uses his size in the corners to pin players and take the puck. In that way he someways reminds me of how Neidermeyer played D. The best word I can conjure up is "effective".

His skating is underrated IMO, his top end speed can probably match just about any D mans in this draft, it looks slow because of his stride. I've seen multiple instances of him starting two strides behind a breaking forward and catching him before the guy can get a shot off, did that at the U18's (was too physical though, awarded a penalty shot). His first step, however, is a touch slow. Lateral movement is good, but something he will need to work at for the NHL. I've seen him have no issue with Yakapov getting around him, but if there was one weakness this would be it.

Offensively, he'll not likely crack top 10 NHL scoring for dmen, but he is certainly capable. Great first pass, pretty strong, accurate shot, good instincts. Likes to move in when in the offensive zone. I'd not call him a highly creative guy though as far as passing would go, he tends to play that safe. And he's not really a PP quarterback type of guy as he does not control the play, but more a guy who moves around the ice from the D spot, creeps in, gets lots of chances in the slot, will carry the puck behind the net.

Comparisons? Maybe a Pilip Kuba type, with more consistency and better D awareness. I see him more as a 2/3 D man at the next level. Not your first unit PP on a good team, but competent enough to play it on bad teams, second unit on good teams, or serve as a solid replacement in case of injury. Defensively, will not dish out big hits, or lots of them, but can be called upon to play against a top pairing. He also has the tools to be a great PK guy as he seems most natural in front of the net.

Other things? His size is an asset, will probably top out 6'3, 230 range I would think. He certainly is well experienced with three years CHL, but not that much older than a number of the other guys due to a really late bday. Reinhart for example is only 4 weeks younger while Ceci is 4 months younger than Murray. And he seems like a good kid, never any trouble, great marks. Saw an interview with his family, they seem well grounded and father was a pro athlete who seems to have passed on a good understanding to the kid of how lucky is his, as opposed to many kids in this situation having a sense of entitlement.

He's not going to be the best D man taken in this draft, but in my mind, he'll be one of the safer picks available. There may not be the upside of a Dumba here, but there is not also the downside of a Dumba either ;)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
missed the top prospects game due to injury, is back now. Playing ~ppg offensively, solid defensively. Projected 10-20 pick.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He likes to compare his game to Drew Doughty's. Obviously not on the same skill level, but style of play may be similar.

Interview.

OilerOlli*

lol seesee. Ceci is an italian name, no?
To him, it seems he is currently a bit overrated. Probably has the upside to be a Gilbert. Too weak defensively. Don't think the Oilers need another Gilbert. Perhaps with a mid/late 1st round pick.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
lol seesee. Ceci is an italian name, no?
To him, it seems he is currently a bit overrated. Probably has the upside to be a Gilbert. Too weak defensively. Don't think the Oilers need another Gilbert. Perhaps with a mid/late 1st round pick.

Just because he isn't very physical doesn't make him Tom Gilbert. He's a smart defender with an active stick. Not a liability defensively yet, and he still has a lot of development ahead of him. I'm curious to see how often you've seen him play to make that statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad