RD Charlie Leddy - USNTDP, USHL (2022, 126th, NJD)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Physical defensive defenseman, and he's actually good defensively. Pretty good size (6'2 181). Skating and puck moving is not a strength, but I wouldn't call it a weakness either. Very little offense. It's not his game. Low ceiling, but the type of player we always see drafted a little higher than projected. I would say he projects as a mid/late round pick, but I absolutely would not rule out that an NHL team takes him 2nd or 3rd round.

Charlie Leddy at eliteprospects.com

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I think you are selling his puck-moving skills short. He actually has one of the better break-outs on the NTDP for d-men. Pass first player. Excels in D and Neutral zone. Doesn't activate as much in the offensive zone - but if its something he can work on for his draft year - he can move up the ranks quickly. Defensively he already plays an NHL game and his defense is elite - which is not easy to do at this age in the USHL. Physical, poised, smart, makes the simple play. On a team full of offensive d-man he actually stands out to me. He's a Carlo, Pesce, Slavin type player who is coveted in the NHL. Most recent comparison is a Brock Faber. I think he has 2nd pairing potential in NHL with a more offensively minded partner. I'd say 2nd or third round pick.

Reactions: Oak

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not even one post in this thread so far this season.

Watch him get picked round 2 or 3.

Big right-shot defenseman that plays physical, can defend, skate, and he's not a huge liability with the puck. NHL teams love players like this.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019

Big right-shot defenseman that plays physical, can defend, skate, and he's not a huge liability with the puck. NHL teams love players like this.

AGREE. Has always been a favorite of mine since watching Northeast kids. Knows his role, plays it great. One of the best break-out passes on an elite team. Great defensively. Also a great locker room guy - been wearing an A all season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
AGREE. Has always been a favorite of mine since watching Northeast kids. Knows his role, plays it great. One of the best break-out passes on an elite team. Great defensively. Also a great locker room guy - been wearing an A all season.

Been trying to watch for his puck game, which you’ve mentioned before that you like.

I think that you are right about breakouts. He’s not going to cough it up under pressure. Haven’t seen much offense though. Plays very conservative offensively. Doesn’t make very many risky ventures too high in the offensive zone. Always staying back.

I think it could be the role he’s asked to play on this team. I think the defense has a lot of mismatched parts. A lot of talent, but not sure too many of them pair well together. Leddy is obviously tasked with a very defensive role. May do better eventually on a team when he’s not tasked with playing babysitter.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

He was really good against Dubuque. Really good at taking the puck away from the opposition and getting it the heck out of the zone. I think his height and weight are really outdated. He looks tall, lanky, but very strong out there. I was also really impressed (and have been) with Spicer. Very solid defensively as a center. Small and not ultra skilled but very smart with a great motor.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good pick. This guy will play NHL games. Probably as a bottom pairing defensive RHD, but he played on an all star team, so there may be some more upside when he’s not on a team full of NHL prospects.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Great value. I like his long term upside. Park him in college for 3-4 years and then to the AHL. Follow the Brett Pesce model.
In interviews, he gives Pesce as his NHL comparison if he can get there. If so, great pick by the Devils. As @Pavel Buchnevich knows - I've been huge fan of his game for a while. Just don't see many of these team first, defense first guys anymore. Love the quote from head NJ scout Dennehy, "We didn't just draft him on talent, we drafted him for his character and leadership. We see him as being a cornerstone to the culture we want to build here in NJ." Even if he turns out to play bottom of the roster - every team needs guys like the in the locker room.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
In interviews, he gives Pesce as his NHL comparison if he can get there. If so, great pick by the Devils. As @Pavel Buchnevich knows - I've been huge fan of his game for a while. Just don't see many of these team first, defense first guys anymore. Love the quote from head NJ scout Dennehy, "We didn't just draft him on talent, we drafted him for his character and leadership. We see him as being a cornerstone to the culture we want to build here in NJ." Even if he turns out to play bottom of the roster - every team needs guys like the in the locker room.
He needs to show in his first two years he won't be a complete black hole for offense. NJ probably has 3 years to determine if they should offer a contract. He is at a good program as well.

Would be nice if Brooks Orpik could mold him to a shutdown guy.

Last edited:

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Bummer he’s transferring out of BC. I thought he was really good at the beginning of the year but got passed by Minnetian and lost playing time. I think he can definitely still be an NHL player, he was just going to be a #6 or 7 defenseman next year again

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Don't blame him at all. He's a top 4 guy on the vast majority of programs and he got buried at BC. Does this open up a potential spot for Hensler if there is any smoke actually there?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Don't blame him at all. He's a top 4 guy on the vast majority of programs and he got buried at BC. Does this open up a potential spot for Hensler if there is any smoke actually there?
Ya I don't blame him at all either, he's a really good player, just was buried at BC. I don't think so. They still have Minnetian, Forteque, Hreschuck, Gustafsson, Skahan and the rumor is Powell is possibly coming back plus adding Michael Hagens as the 7th d. If Powell leaves, then the door is open imo. Hensler isn't coming unless he's getting PP time and top 4 minutes

Reactions: William H Bonney

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Bummer he’s transferring out of BC. I thought he was really good at the beginning of the year but got passed by Minnetian and lost playing time. I think he can definitely still be an NHL player, he was just going to be a #6 or 7 defenseman next year again
He was the 7th Defenseman by the end of the season. It's a business, it makes sense to me. You can't wait around hoping for more ice time, you gotta just go ahead and do what's your best for your future to get it somewhere.

Hensler isn't coming unless he's getting PP time and top 4 minutes
Yeah, it's his draft year, so he probably won't mess around too much and risk getting buried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad