RD Case McCarthy - U.S. NTDP, Boston University (2019, 118th, NJD)

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Thoughts on him? I think there's a chance he can be the second best defenseman for the US behind Cam York. I think he's a superior two-way player at this juncture than Marshall Warren and a better skater (albeit not as big) as Alex Vlasic.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like his game. I don't think he has incredibly high upside, but he defends pretty well, he has a big shot, and he skates well.

I'd say he's a late second round prospect for now. Could move up some with a good season. I don't think the 2019 US Defensemen crop is all that good, particularly from the NTDP. I have York and Thrun as 21-31 range right now. McCarthy and Warren are probably late 2nd's for now. I don't consider Vlasic as an early round prospect. He has the same problems that Adam Samuelsson had from this past draft, a player who didn't even get drafted. He's a bad skater, and you'd expect him to be a lot better defensively than he actually is.

I actually think the best American D prospect in the 2019 draft might end up being Brinkman who wasn't part of the NTDP program. He was the third American D to make my initial list for next season. I think I heard he's enrolling at Minnesota this year. I wouldn't be shocked if he has a very good season, and gets his way into the top 20 of next years draft.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I was a bit shocked to see how low Emberson went as I actually think he could have the best overall pro career out of this years USNDP group. I think McCarthy is in that similar range as Emberson, just solid overall, not elite at anything in particular. He should be a 2/3 round pick right now with plenty of time to move up, or just get passed like Emberson did..

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brinkman was invited, but turned down a spot to the NTDP. Played at Edina HS, arguably the strongest non Shattuck HS in the country. Graduated a year early from HS, and will be playing NCAA while still HS senior age. i think it's a good move for him. He is physically ready, just remains to be seen how long it takes him to adjust mentally.

FWIW, he played both with and against K'andre Miller for years in elite teams around the Twin cities, and was usually considered the stronger player....certainly more accomplished as a dman.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bump. Any thoughts on him from this season? Where do you guys see him go in the draft? What's his upside?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bump. Any thoughts on him from this season? Where do you guys see him go in the draft? What's his upside?

Mid/Later rounds. Defense hasn't improved since last season. It might've even regressed. Lacks skills. Average skater. His role on his own team has decreased.

He's moved off my lists.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he gets lost in the weeds here. he was a good soldier last season, jack of all trades type of player, this year hasn't gone the way he would like with getting bottom pairing/odd man out some nights.

I think this years USNDP crop of defense is pretty strong and balanced throughout, and IMO I like the depth just as much as last years group. Case is still a decent prospect, kids like him bounce back all the time and make it to the pro game..he is that 3rd round and later type pick that some team might still love because they see his limited opportunities right now, or teams might fall out of favor with and he drops to 6th/7th round.

I do find it interesting that I am still seeing his name ranked inside some posters top 62 lists on HF...some from this week as well...not sure if they are just going off of what he was doing last year but a bit of a stretch for me unfortunately today.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can he be a top 4 D for us?

He could, but very unlikely. He was the worst player on the 18's this year along with Weight, and should've been dropped from the team for the WJC18. He was the spare defensemen as the season went on. His defense took a big drop, and he's a net negative with the puck.

He's still 18 years old, so I wouldn't rule it out, but right now, he doesn't project as top 4. I don't think he'll play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad