RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024 Draft)

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
What’s his closest comparable Jacob Trouba?

Ryan Pulock would be another good comparison.

Pulock's scouting report on elite prospects reads like this thread.

A strong defenseman with a good physical game and a very hard shot. Contributes in both ends and is quite well-rounded. Needs to work on his skating. (EP, 2013)

Pulock was also a mid 1st round pick and is 6'2".

However, I think Yakemchuk will be more dynamic in the offensive zone at the NHL level over what Pulock has done with the Islanders.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Take it with a giant grain of salt, but... and this is from what I've read...

This guy for defense has the highest ceiling, but not likely to reach it. If he did, you could throw him out on the ice for any scenario, use him to play any type of game.

Worst case Ontario, he's a number 6/7. Yeah you don't want that if you're using a pick from anywhere top 5 to around 15th.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Interesting to think about how people would be viewing Yakemchuk and Levshunov if they had switched leagues this past year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Just another doozy you're on fire but not in a good way.

I get you're mad about me correcting you in the other thread, but this isn't an argument.

High goal totals in junior aren't as translatable to higher levels as people think they are.

Hague is one example but there are many others. Someone just brought up Pulock, who legitimately has one of the hardest shots in the entire league, yet he's only averaged 8G/82GP because he's not quick enough to open shooting lanes or take the risk of shooting through players without the elite skating ability to catch the player if gets blocked and the player goes the other way.

Also a surprising number of Yakemchuk's goals were created from jumping into the play and dangling junior defenders. Yakemchuk has some of the best mitts in the draft but that just isn't going to work on NHL defensemen.

People expecting big numbers out of him at the NHL level may be disappointed, but he could re-orient his game into more of a nasty two-way D and provide a lot of value for the team that drafts him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You said he has an elite shot, great physicality, high compete, and soft hands (all true), but also that he is elite defensively and has elite hockey IQ. He certainly has plus defensive potential because of his size and snarl, but he is not currently elite defensively. He could refine his decision-making for sure, but that’s built-in to the idea that his hockey IQ is solidly average.

Like I said, I definitely agree with the idea that he has the highest potential of any defenseman in the draft, I like the player. But he is not an elite defensive player and he doesn’t have elite hockey IQ. If his only flaw was his skating being just “adequate” for his size, he’d be a lock for 2nd overall and would challenge for 1st. I just don’t agree with that.

We're in silly season when it comes to draft eligibles. Every player is above-average at everything and the word "elite" gets thrown around willy nilly.

Especially when it comes to prospects that fit the needs of people's favorite teams. Don't think it's a coincidence that Yakemchuk's biggest fans tend to be fans of teams that need a top 4 RD badly.

It typically lasts until right after the draft when reality sets in. Once that same prospect becomes property of another team the outlook for him gets a lot less rosy.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We're in silly season when it comes to draft eligibles. Every player is above-average at everything and the word "elite" gets thrown around willy nilly.

Especially when it comes to prospects that fit the needs of people's favorite teams. Don't think it's a coincidence that Yakemchuk's biggest fans tend to be fans of teams that need a top 4 RD badly.

It typically lasts until right after the draft when reality sets in. Once that same prospect becomes property of another team the outlook for him gets a lot less rosy.
Sure, you're not far off base. But this draft is particularly strong in top-end D. We've known that for years. There haven't been many D prospects better than Yakemchuk in the past five drafts.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Someone else mentioned that this guy reminds them of David Rundblad (minus the physicality).

I see it too. Great outlet pass. Not a great skater. A weird ability, based on reach and soft hands, to slow-motion stick handle around people in the O-zone.

Is this skill-set projectable at the NHL level? It wasn't for Rundblad.

A very interesting player no-doubt. High-risk, high-reward. I think that his physicality guarantees he'll stick in the league, but will his offensive game translate?
Rundblad never had his head screwed on straight, and processed the game at a Squirt A level. It’s what was so frustrating with him, and why he was the bust he was. What makes Yakemchuk’s ceiling so high, is how he anticipates and “thinks the game.” Something nobody ever confused with Rundblad. They’re literally the opposite player due to that very important standard to success at the NHL level.

Really not sure where all the hate comes from from on sites like this either, but he’s looked at by many scouts, as having the most Complete Ceiling for D prospects in this draft. His floor is probably 4th or 5th but he’s not going to be judged on his floor, and his ceiling is probably the most likely to hit, out of all the D prospects.

Why? Because he does “think the game” like an elite player, his game comes very natural to him, and he has that drive to want to be a difference maker.

Fans and media draft people, always seem to forget how vitally important it is to “think the game” like other NHL players, when they’re judging elite players from really bad teams. Many times these players don’t have anyone to really play with, who’s at their level. It then becomes frustrating, and they simply try doing too much. Exactly where most of Yakemchuk’s mistakes originate. Most teams and good talent evaluators will always take this into account, where fans and media types always seem to forget it. Ryder Ritchie suffers from the same thing as a forward in PA this year. Danielson playing in Brandon last year is another one.

His offense likely translates much more than Dickinson’s because of his anticipation, how he reads the ice, and how it naturally comes to him, and Parekh is looking more like he’s gonna be all offense, if he ever becomes an impact player.

A lot of the haters, like to point to things outside of Yakemchuk’s control, playing on such a weak team. He’s certainly not a selfish player as some suggest. He’s simply been given the green light in Calgary, and there’s been little to no structure or like minded players there, like we see in places like London and Saginaw. There’s just too much to like that’s naturally in his game. If he’s playing in London or Saginaw this year, he’s being talked about as a lock in the Top 5.

The kid “thinks the game” at an extremely high (NHL) level. His anticipation is unmatched by any Dman in the draft. He’s also a good skater for his size, protects the puck as well as anyone, his retrieval skills are Top 3, he’s a big puck transporter and will be at the NHL level, which makes him hard to play against, and very importantly, he wants to be that difference maker every single game. That just equals success at the Pro level. If it comes together, he’s the closest thing to a blue line star in this draft.

The one big reason teams may take 2-3 of the others ahead of him, is pure conservatism. Unlike most of the other Top defenders in this draft, Yakemchuk’s game won’t allow him to settle into being a role player. Where a Dickinson can absolutely do that. Teams will have to make that judgment.

There’s a good bet by this time next year, people are asking themselves why there was ever questions about his game. You have to hold each player to the same perspective. Put Dickinson in Calgary, what’s he look like? Same with Parekh. Yet people continue to lose all perspective over short reels getting shared 1000s of times.

Every supposed weakness he has, are easy fixes that mostly come with experience and structure. That’s why scouts and managers will overlook any minor issues he has. Teams also understand the situation in Calgary as well. Where he’s overused at times and he’s been given a green light to basically do whatever he wants because the team is as weak as it is.

Personally I think his agent, and the team who drafts him, need to help facilitate a trade for the upcoming season. Put him in a situation where there’s more structure. Once again, his faults are usually fixed with structure and experience.

The sky really is the limit, and there’s only a couple of dmen in this draft you can say that about. As a team drafting outside the Top 10, you just hope this negative talk continues, because it’s not everyday you’re gonna get a player like Yakemchuk in that range.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I think he goes top 3. In present times finding players with his skill and size, that also have a mean streak are incredibly rare and highly valued amongst NHL front offices.

Reactions: Hinterland

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What’s his closest comparable Jacob Trouba?

I like the Brent Burns stylistic comparison, or maybe Dustin Byfuglien? Yakemchuk's physical game is closer to Buff or Trouba than it is to Burns.

Interesting to think about how people would be viewing Yakemchuk and Levshunov if they had switched leagues this past year.

I'm sure Yak would have been turnstiled on the rush regularly in the NCAA this year. Then again Lev also made lots of airhead plays all year and that gets excused.

I get you're mad about me correcting you in the other thread, but this isn't an argument.

High goal totals in junior aren't as translatable to higher levels as people think they are.

Hague is one example but there are many others. Someone just brought up Pulock, who legitimately has one of the hardest shots in the entire league, yet he's only averaged 8G/82GP because he's not quick enough to open shooting lanes or take the risk of shooting through players without the elite skating ability to catch the player if gets blocked and the player goes the other way.

Also a surprising number of Yakemchuk's goals were created from jumping into the play and dangling junior defenders. Yakemchuk has some of the best mitts in the draft but that just isn't going to work on NHL defensemen.

People expecting big numbers out of him at the NHL level may be disappointed, but he could re-orient his game into more of a nasty two-way D and provide a lot of value for the team that drafts him.

I think Yakemchuk's goal scoring is highly projectable. Especially his wrist shot because he has that ability to change angles quickly with the pull/drag in to shoot from his skates if need be. He has so much lateral range to get a lane around the shot blocker.

You don't see many heavy shot D in the NHL with that ability. Pulock has a cannon but not that deception ability.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Big fan of this player and would be happy if the Flames took him at #9 depending on who's still available. I dunno if he'd be at the top of my list for the defenders ranking but he's my favourite. A big hit or one big shot can change a game fast.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Big fan of this player and would be happy if the Flames took him at #9 depending on who's still available. I dunno if he'd be at the top of my list for the defenders ranking but he's my favourite. A big hit or one big shot can change a game fast.
He’s 6th overall on my personal rankings but he’s my “favorite” player in the draft. Other favorites are Brandsegg-Nygard, Surin, Miettinen, Solberg, O’Reilly, Lavoie, Wetsch and Thorpe.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s 6th overall on my personal rankings but he’s my “favorite” player in the draft. Other favorites are Brandsegg-Nygard, Surin, Miettinen, Solberg, O’Reilly, Lavoie, Wetsch and Thorpe.

We have several of the same favorites. Have you seen Pulkkinen yet? He's an overager, which Utah/AZ has taken many of like Moser and Doan. Except he looks to have very high upside, 6'6 and great hands.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We have several of the same favorites. Have you seen Pulkkinen yet? He's an overager, which Utah/AZ has taken many of like Moser and Doan. Except he looks to have very high upside, 6'6 and great hands.
I watched all his WJC games. Definitely on my list of targets for 38th overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad